Page 20 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253070120 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    P1 calls this a "subsidy lock." Said another way, it only applies to phones that are purchased through and subsidized by the carriers. The real problem is not that Cingular will lock the phones that they sell so much as that P1 will not sell direct. One might conclude that they make more money on phones sold through carriers than those sold direct. However, that is just a pricing issue. I paid a premium to get an unlocked 600 late; I would have paid whatever I had to get one early.
    Excuse me, this is out of control. I don't get it. What is the big deal? The Palm one page may say that Cingular's phones will be locked, it didn't say thier own GSM would be.

Every purchase of Treo, I have had has been with Cingular, with T-Maybe phone on the side. I have bought every phone from Hand/P-1. Never had a problem with either T-Maybe or Cingular and Treo's.

Even if the phone was locked, someone two weeks ago posted their ATT was locked, in one day we unlocked it. In one day they had a new sim card sent to them. I don't understand the concern. Palm One will sell the GSM version unlocked, maybe Cingular won't, but even if they did, I am sure we could unlock it right away anyway.
    well, with the T600 it took several months to successfully unlock it actually. But I agree that if you want it SIM free, then buy it from P1 and you'll have to pay more for it. If you get a cheaper price through a carrier subsidy, then they have the right to SIM lock the handsets to protect their investment
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I got a few 600s early on so I have some experience. A cingular 650 WILL be locked whether you get it from P1 or cingular. Period.

If P1 sells an unlocked than life is grand. But last time they didn't do this until they offered T-Mobile which was the last US GSM carrier. A unlocked could be gotten from an international importer but it was very expensive and P1 wouldn't cover the warranty on it. I had one from Singapore back in November 2003.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I imagine if you buy a Cingular handset from P1, then you will be entering into a service agreement as well

FWIW, how much did the imports cost that you mentioned? more than 600 USD?

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I got a few 600s early on so I have some experience. A cingular 650 WILL be locked whether you get it from P1 or cingular. Period.

If P1 sells an unlocked than life is grand. But last time they didn't do this until they offered T-Mobile which was the last US GSM carrier. A unlocked could be gotten from an international importer but it was very expensive and P1 wouldn't cover the warranty on it. I had one from Singapore back in November 2003.
    I am confused then, My Treo 600 is unbranded from P-1 and I have a second week of November 2003 delivery date. I did not buy a Cingular Phone. How did that happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    This was posted in the US GSM forum, direct from P1 the Treo 650 for Cingular will be locked!

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(16778)
    So the GSM Cingular 650 I ordered from ViennaChannels will be locked?! I have T-Mobile, and I planned on putting the sim card from my Nokia into the 650 whenever it arrives. Just so I'm clear, now I'll have to sign up with Cingular to get the phone to work?
    VC has already said that their units will be SIM free

I'm confused also. When you power up the phone there is no cingular logo? Did you reflash it with the unbranded flash update.

Back in November 2003, I called P1 and asked for the unbranded and they claimed it didn't exist and wouldn't be sold for several months even though I had the Singapore unit in my hand.

If you really have an unbranded (no cingular logo on phone power on/off) that came direct from P1 at that time the only thing I can think of is that someone messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I am confused then, My Treo 600 is unbranded from P-1 and I have a second week of November 2003 delivery date. I did not buy a Cingular Phone. How did that happen?
    I don't remember exactly but it was either $749 or $789 plus shipping from Singapore which was very expensive. Their normal shipping only guaranteed delivery in 6 to 8 weeks so I didn't go for that.

I do remember another site at that time had the same thing for $849 so this one was a "bargain" by comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I imagine if you buy a Cingular handset from P1, then you will be entering into a service agreement as well

FWIW, how much did the imports cost that you mentioned? more than 600 USD?
    I'm sure that P1 will sell an unlocked GSM also. The only question is when this will be offered to the general public. With the Treo 600, the unlocked version wasn't available directly from P1 until at least 4-6 months after the Cingular one. I have no idea what they plan to do this time, but if the Cingular is locked I really doubt they will offer the unlocked until some time after the Cingular launch.

Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    So the GSM Cingular 650 I ordered from ViennaChannels will be locked?! I have T-Mobile, and I planned on putting the sim card from my Nokia into the 650 whenever it arrives. Just so I'm clear, now I'll have to sign up with Cingular to get the phone to work?
    I forcast that it will be offered relatively soon after the Cingular version, but at a higher price

Subsidy locks. There has to be a hack. If someone figured out how to hack Bluetooth to be used DUN then certainly the lock can be hacked.

EDIT:

Also commission a chemists to concoct something to clean off the Cingular branding.
    You're kidding, right?
    wishful thinking i guess
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    It's my understanding that 650s are shipping from VC. Is that CDMA and GSMs or just CDMAs?

Edit:

Someone let us know immediately if the GSMs are unlocked. We'll publish the unlocked setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I forcast that it will be offered relatively soon after the Cingular version, but at a higher price
    Do you, really? And did you forecast the Red Sox in seven and four?
    Old News, but probably credible.

http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=2279
    Very old news, the AT&T page has been there since the Sprint release. Humm, bargainpda. Oh yeah, they are the ones saying the Treo 610 would be released in March 2003 right?
    Lets just put it this way. The GSM will have the same microphone, and memory issues. Nuthin is gonna change, except the other guts for the network. I prefer GSM myself too, but local coverage here is SO much better with cdma. That tipped my buying decision. That is, with the 600. I am not touching the 650 till the call quality and memory issue is worked out. My advice to you gsm folks, if you have ANY pull with your provider, is to tell them you will NOT upgrade to a 650, till they get these problems resolved! (may be like talking to a rock though)
    Have you tried a 650 yet? I can't give an answer on voice quality, mine seems OK so far but I need to do more testing. But this memory thing is being exaggerated IMHO. The issue is for small files since those will be the bloat most. My contact and dates expanded by probably 50%. Based on this, you would thousands before it became an issue and then it would still fit. Big files and big applications are basically the same between the 650 and the 600. I do think P1 made a mistake by not including 64MB but you know it's 32MB when you buy it.

I'm not apologizing for P1, but if 32MB isn't enough for you then don't buy it. I think the benefits of the flash outweight the extra memory usage. Finally as an engineer by training, after reading the technote on why the memory is being used. I really don't think there will ever be a "fix" that makes it like the 600. The issue looks like it's deep down in the NVFS file system which is not made by P1. I suppose they might do some data sharing between allocated memory chunks and they certainly need to improve error recovery when full. Other than that I don't see how much could change.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Also commission a chemists to concoct something to clean off the Cingular branding.
    nail polish remover, acetone works well lightly applied and and rubbed for a minute or so

Do you, really? And did you forecast the Red Sox in seven and four?
    nah, that was a fluke