Page 19 of 133 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920212223242969119 ... LastLast
    Count me in. I'm not jumping to Sprint, their coverage in Texas is awful. I'll wait as long as it takes.
    Quote Originally Posted by barber2525
    Count me in. I'm not jumping to Sprint, their coverage in Texas is awful. I'll wait as long as it takes.

I live in Dallas and the coverage is very good. Texas is a very big state with a lot of area that is low populated areas. If you are in a city of any size, you are bound to get service.

For reference, I often tavel to Houston, Austin, and Texarkana.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Being unbranded makes no difference, it works fine on T-Mobile. There was some nonsense many months ago about the T-Mobile version being "optimized" for their network but that was BS in my opinion. I tried the Cingular branded 600, Unbranded 600, and T-Mobile 600 on T-Mobile and they all worked the same, with the same speed for data.

I do have the T-Mobile Internet plan and it works fine. I have not tried just the T-Zones plan. Some have said that it works fine, but recently there have been posts saying that T-Mobile has closed port 80 on the T-Zones plan which would mean you couldn't use the Treo for web browsing on T-Zones. But I have no first hand experience with this.
    Thanks a lot Bcaslis for the info !
    Three more unlocked GSM's ordered today. Give me GSM or give me nothing.
    that's PRO!!!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    I think you might have misunderstood me. PalmOne has to produce an unlocked phone because they have more vendors than ATT, T-Mo, Sprint & Cingular. They distribute (generic) GSM phones across the world.

If you bought an AT&T Treo 600 from P1 it was locked to AT&T. If you bought a T-Mobile Treo 600 from P1 it was locked to T-Mobile. If bought a Cingular Treo 600 from P1 it was not locked but did have Cingular branding on phone power and down.

I think it's not accurate to make assumptions that a phone won't be locked simply because it's a world phone, we have wait until it's available and find out then. I'm sincerely hoping that I will be able to a Cingular Treo 650 that is unlocked from P1 (since I expect it will be available before T-Mobile and probably before an unlocked) but just because it happened with the 600 doesn't mean it will happen with the 650.
    Last edited by specimen38; 12/06/2004 at 10:18 PM.
    If you bought an AT&T Treo 600 from P1 it was locked to AT&T. If you bought a T-Mobile Treo 600 from P1 it was locked to T-Mobile. If bought a Cingular Treo 600 from P1 it was not locked but did have Cingular branding on phone power and down.

I think it's not accurate to make assumptions that a phone won't be locked simply because it's a world phone, we have wait until it's available and find out then. I'm sincerely hoping that I will be able to a Cingular Treo 650 that is unlocked from P1 (since I expect it will be available before T-Mobile and probably before an unlocked) but just because it happened with the 600 doesn't mean it will happen with the 650.
    You can buy unlocked, non-carrier specific Treo 600's from P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    One might reasonably expect that the same would be true of the 650. Indeed I do so expect. However, we are dealing with P1.
    PalmOne has interest around the world. It is counter-productive to lock all of their phones. The is an upside in this for me. My contract is up on January 13th. I will be paying a unlocked phone at whatever the price and picking one of the two GSM carriers. Most likely Cingular. If the Treo 700 comes out in 6-8 months, I will upgrade my phone and sell my unlocked 650 on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    One might reasonably expect that the same would be true of the 650. Indeed I do so expect. However, we are dealing with P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    PalmOne has interest around the world. It is counter-productive to lock all of their phones......
    Hopefully. On the other hand, they do all kinds of things that appear to me to be counterproductive.

If one assumes that the consumer is P1's customer, then you are correct. However, if, as appears to be the case, they see the carrier as their customer and rely upon the carrier discount to underwrite part of the cost to the end user, then binding the (GSM) phone to the carrier (as they do with CDMA) makes sense.
    I understand completely. This issue is what can you buy in the U.S. P1 did have an ulocked GSM model sold in Asia, but they didn't offer it off their website until 6 months later. You could get it from an importer but for $800 and no warranty. I've done all this with the Treo 600. When I called P1 with a screen issue on the one I was holding in my hand, they claimed it didn't exist.

I think you might have misunderstood me. PalmOne has to produce an unlocked phone because they have more vendors than ATT, T-Mo, Sprint & Cingular. They distribute (generic) GSM phones across the world.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    You can now correct, but P1 didn't offer them in the U.S. until 6 months after they sold the GSM model. They released in a staggered fashion for vendors, in order: Sprint, Cingular, AT&T, T-Mobile, GSM unlocked, Verizon.

Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    I understand completely. This issue is what can you buy in the U.S. P1 did have an ulocked GSM model sold in Asia, but they didn't offer it off their website until 6 months later. You could get it from an importer but for $800 and no warranty. I've done all this with the Treo 600. When I called P1 with a screen issue on the one I was holding in my hand, they claimed it didn't exist.
    It's possible the phone you bought was a locked phone that had been unlocked by a third-party and then sold to you. (I know this is done.) Hence P1's response to your problem that the phone didn't exist. Of course I'm just speculating, I don't know any of the particulars on the 600 release schedule.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the GSM 650 "quad band" this time around as opposed to the GSM 600. There is an article over on CNET "5 things you should know about the ATT/Cingular merger." http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-....html?tag=diva
    No, this was a P1 unlocked GSM phone sold in Singapore completely unbranded. If you go to www.doml.com you can buy the same one today. Their response was based on the fact that they weren't selling in the U.S. and their support people didn't have any knowledge of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    It's possible the phone you bought was a locked phone that had been unlocked by a third-party and then sold to you. (I know this is done.) Hence P1's response to your problem that the phone didn't exist. Of course I'm just speculating, I don't know any of the particulars on the 600 release schedule.
    Yes, there is still some uncertainly on many specifics. That's why I don't think any assumptions are safe until there is some announcement. I really hope I can get a GSM phone to work on T-Mobile but that might not happen right away. There is alot of talk on the howardforums boards stating without any doubt that Cingular will start locking world phones to their network beginning in January. Based on other carriers I wouldn't be surprised by this but of course I hope it doesn't happen.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the GSM 650 "quad band" this time around as opposed to the GSM 600. There is an article over on CNET "5 things you should know about the ATT/Cingular merger." http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3504_7-....html?tag=diva
    Bcaslis,

Did I read on another thread that you are using a Sprint branded Treo 650? If so, give us your assessment so far? Are you just evaluating it for 30 days before the GSM version is released or are you just finished with GSM?
    This was posted in the US GSM forum, direct from P1 the Treo 650 for Cingular will be locked!

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(16778)

Really ticks me off, the only hope is that P1 releases the unlocked GSM version soon, but last time they didn't release that version until versions for all US GSM carriers were released. If this is a repeat I might have to switch to Sprint permantly,

Yes, for your question, I am using the Sprint one right now. To be honest it is working very well. I don't have enough usage yet to give a verdict on call quality. The reception in the headset is very clear, but until I talk to more people I can't say on how well they can hear. I'm still experimenting with a bluetooth headset, not enough time spent with it yet to pass judgement (I got the new Motorola HS-850 to use with it). Bluetooth file transfer and hotsync work perfectly with a Mac.

Data download speeds especially in Blazer shame my T-Mobile Treo 600. I'm guessing it's a combination of faster device and faster data connection but web browsing is a completely different experience with the better screen and better speed.

Personally I think the outrage over the memory is being blow way out of proportion. Yes, small files take more space but big ones. I had ~310 contacts on the Treo 600 taking up 197k of space. On the Treo 650 230 contacts (I cut them in preparation for all the warnings I saw) take 191k with another file ContactsLib-P1CT taking up another 45k. Not the life and death issues others are quoting. Yes, I think they should have included 64MB but you knew that it was 32MB with 23MB user available when you bought it right.

I've had a couple of spontanteous resets in about 6 days. Not too bad. The only repeatable crash I'm seeing is Handmark Express resets it when I try to look at movie listings it download. 100% repeatable so this software may be removed soon.

If P1 doesn't offer the unlocked GSM soon, I might actually move to Sprint the data speed are really compelling.

Bcaslis,

Did I read on another thread that you are using a Sprint branded Treo 650? If so, give us your assessment so far? Are you just evaluating it for 30 days before the GSM version is released or are you just finished with GSM?
    If P1 doesn't offer the unlocked GSM soon, I might actually move to Sprint......
    That is the idea.
    This was posted in the US GSM forum, direct from P1 the Treo 650 for Cingular will be locked!

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj(16778)

Really ticks me off, the only hope is that P1 releases the unlocked GSM version soon, but last time they didn't release that version until versions for all US GSM carriers were released....
    P1 calls this a "subsidy lock." Said another way, it only applies to phones that are purchased through and subsidized by the carriers. The real problem is not that Cingular will lock the phones that they sell so much as that P1 will not sell direct. One might conclude that they make more money on phones sold through carriers than those sold direct. However, that is just a pricing issue. I paid a premium to get an unlocked 600 late; I would have paid whatever I had to get one early.