Page 18 of 133 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122232868118 ... LastLast
    Someone posted this link on the ATT forum. If you enter "treo 650" under the ask a question field it gives some help topics. However, I don't know if they are specific to the Treo 650.

http://supportattws.primus.com/aws/c....do?maxDepth=4
    At this point, I just hope that all the kinks will be worked out by the time we get our GSM 650s. That will be worth the wait.

As a side note, I'm switching from Verizon to Cingular (Im in Boston, Ma). Any comments/warnings/suggestions?
    hi there, i'm not an IT savvy, so i need some explanation here. if i get a treo650 which is said to be 'unlocked to gsm/cdma', will it work here in the uk?? there's this person selling treo650 in ebay, the seller's from romania, and claims to sell unlocked treo650 to gsm and cdma, does this mean that i can just put in a GSM sim card (i.e. vodafone) and it will work automatically??

cheers
    Run far away. It's a scam, don't send money. Nobody, I repeat nobody outside P1 and maybe some carrier testing people have a GSM model. There are two seperate models for CDMA and GSM so this should tell you right away that the seller is lying.

Quote Originally Posted by whutsoever
    hi there, i'm not an IT savvy, so i need some explanation here. if i get a treo650 which is said to be 'unlocked to gsm/cdma', will it work here in the uk?? there's this person selling treo650 in ebay, the seller's from romania, and claims to sell unlocked treo650 to gsm and cdma, does this mean that i can just put in a GSM sim card (i.e. vodafone) and it will work automatically??

cheers
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    but it did say 'i had it unlocked to gsm and cdma'.... so what does that really mean?? here's the link anyways... it just looks to convincing and trustable....

anyway thanks dude, u had me rethinking to run to the nearest western union agent.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    I just went back and looked at my e-mails over the 600 GSM order. Bottom Line Telecommunications gave me three ship dates, 10/18, 11/3, and 11/30 based on ship dates that P1 gave them. P1 reneged on all three. I finally got one from GSM Phone Source in December for $649-, $100 off their list price of $749-. (Cannot remember what I got the discount for.) Note that I finally got it 2 months after the first "definite date." If they run true to form, we are at least two months away and counting.

I just visited BLT's and GSM Phone Sources web sites. Neither has even put the Treo 650 GSM phone in their catalogs yet. (BLT has the 650 CDMA phone, clearly marked "SPRINT PCS NTWK ONLY" for $618.42.)
    I got mine from P1, Nov 19 2003.
    ]
    scam
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by whutsoever
    ... 'unlocked to gsm/cdma'.....
    Not a meaningful expression. All cdma phones, the only ones available, are bound to a network. I suspect this is a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    I may have to rethink ,if there is no definite date by Dec 16.
    March is too long a wait.In 6 months from march, the CDMA people will have another new toy and we won't be able to enjoy our relatively new ( 6 month old T650) wholeheartedly.

i weaken, then looks at the plans from sprint. geez 300, 500 plans for more than $30.

i have 1000 minutes for 30.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I got mine from P1, Nov 19 2003.
    I would not have done business with that scum at any price.
    I already weakened.

The 650 is really sweet. As long as you are careful (read install stuff from scratch don't just resynch with the 600 data) it seems great to me. I will eventually go back to GSM probably (boy the data download is really fast compared to T-Mobile) but for now I have my toy.

While I believe people are running out of memory, I have to wonder a bit what they are doing. I have 250 contacts (I trimmed them down after hearing all these memory complaints) and it's taking up 191K with another 45K listed as ContactsLib-P1CT (have no idea what this is). Doesn't seem very excessive to me. I guess if your contacts are just a name and phone number the bloat would be worse, but my contacts are normally addresses multiple phone numbers and emails.

You know you want one! Go to the dark side (you can always rejoin the forces of light later). FYI, I believe the GSM companies force you to get a contract when you open a new line. If you ask, you can get Sprint without a contract but they charge you $10 a month more. If you know if advance you are likely to change in a few months, it's not a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    i weaken, then looks at the plans from sprint. geez 300, 500 plans for more than $30.

i have 1000 minutes for 30.
    WH,
    "March " , common that's too far, 4 months........
    I hate sprint but not that much.I can live with 2 bar signal and spotty coverage versus 4 bars and super coverage. Data offcourse, will be faster with sprint.
    As far as resale value, GSM and CDMA Treo' 600s are close.
    I do not travel abroad frequently.
    Better off switching sooner, than wasting your time energy for months and be halfhearted with your existing device.
    Personally, would still give 2 more weeks to see where this thread and news about GSM T650 is headed.
    I don't think you are going to get much more real data about GSM in two weeks. Little thing called Christmas. Nobody ships new products in early January, with the logistics and holidays the earliest you would see something would be mid to late January, more likely early February at the latest. If they do their normal staggered thing, that would mean a Cingular release first with an even bigger delay for an unlocked or T-Mobile. I'm with T-Mobile and that's why I decided to bite and save myself months of frustration. If it appears earlier than I can switch back but if it takes longer at least I get to most of the benefits now.
    (Slightly off subject)
    Bcalis,
    Since you are on T-Mo, do you need to get the T-Mobile Internet plan ($19.99) with your 600 or t-zones is good enough ?
    I mean your Treo 600 being unbranded, does it make a difference for T-Mobile ?
    Thanks.
    I want.....what I want. GSM is the better technology. I do not like SPRINT customer service. do not like the feeling of being "locked" because I might want to purchase another phone--perhaps a Treo 700 in 6 months. If I had to pick a CDMA provider it would be Verizon. I am resolved to wait on GSM and ATT/Cingular.

I played around with a 650 about 2 nights ago. It's hypnotic! But I feel strongly that the GSMers will be the beneficiaries of all the recent bugs in the CDMA version of the 650.

I am predicting the GSM Treo 650 will be announced around the time of the CES in Vegas -- January 6th.
    Being unbranded makes no difference, it works fine on T-Mobile. There was some nonsense many months ago about the T-Mobile version being "optimized" for their network but that was BS in my opinion. I tried the Cingular branded 600, Unbranded 600, and T-Mobile 600 on T-Mobile and they all worked the same, with the same speed for data.

I do have the T-Mobile Internet plan and it works fine. I have not tried just the T-Zones plan. Some have said that it works fine, but recently there have been posts saying that T-Mobile has closed port 80 on the T-Zones plan which would mean you couldn't use the Treo for web browsing on T-Zones. But I have no first hand experience with this.

Quote Originally Posted by brightcell
    (Slightly off subject)
    Bcalis,
    Since you are on T-Mo, do you need to get the T-Mobile Internet plan ($19.99) with your 600 or t-zones is good enough ?
    I mean your Treo 600 being unbranded, does it make a difference for T-Mobile ?
    Thanks.
    I agree and admire your will power. But I guess I'm just too weak to resist.
    I think the GSM has already been "announced" but they might announce availability on Cingular. I'm a T-Mobile customer and don't know if it will be unlocked or not. Cingular phones used to be but there are lots of posts floating around saying that Cingular will be locking their phones beginning in 2005. Also I had an extremely bad experience with AT&T a year ago so **** can freeze over before I would get service with them. But I know people who have had good experiences also. I have found service with T-Mobile to be very good but I want this phone!

On a final note, I expect some differences due to GSM versus CDMA with the GSM 650, but don't expect fixes like the memory issue or anything. This did not occur with the 600 release and you can bet that P1 won't be releasing improvements on the GSM version without fixes available for their friends at Sprint. Every patch on the 600 was always on Sprint first.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    I want.....what I want. GSM is the better technology. I do not like SPRINT customer service. do not like the feeling of being "locked" because I might want to purchase another phone--perhaps a Treo 700 in 6 months. If I had to pick a CDMA provider it would be Verizon. I am resolved to wait on GSM and ATT/Cingular.

I played around with a 650 about 2 nights ago. It's hypnotic! But I feel strongly that the GSMers will be the beneficiaries of all the recent bugs in the CDMA version of the 650.

I am predicting the GSM Treo 650 will be announced around the time of the CES in Vegas -- January 6th.
    If you buy a GSM phone from PalmOne, it won't be locked. PalmOne can not afford to lock all their GSM phones for Cingular. It makes no sense. The Treo 650 is a world phone and it will be marketed that way. If you buy a 650 phone from Cingular, they may have customized it and put some sort of lock on it. But any GSM purchased from Palm will immediately work on T-Mobile's network the moment you put your SIM chip in it.

Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I agree and admire your will power. But I guess I'm just too weak to resist.
    I think the GSM has already been "announced" but they might announce availability on Cingular. I'm a T-Mobile customer and don't know if it will be unlocked or not. Cingular phones used to be but there are lots of posts floating around saying that Cingular will be locking their phones beginning in 2005. Also I had an extremely bad experience with AT&T a year ago so **** can freeze over before I would get service with them. But I know people who have had good experiences also. I have found service with T-Mobile to be very good but I want this phone!

On a final note, I expect some differences due to GSM versus CDMA with the GSM 650, but don't expect fixes like the memory issue or anything. This did not occur with the 600 release and you can bet that P1 won't be releasing improvements on the GSM version without fixes available for their friends at Sprint. Every patch on the 600 was always on Sprint first.
    If you bought an AT&T Treo 600 from P1 it was locked to AT&T. If you bought a T-Mobile Treo 600 from P1 it was locked to T-Mobile. If bought a Cingular Treo 600 from P1 it was not locked but did have Cingular branding on phone power and down.

I think it's not accurate to make assumptions that a phone won't be locked simply because it's a world phone, we have wait until it's available and find out then. I'm sincerely hoping that I will be able to a Cingular Treo 650 that is unlocked from P1 (since I expect it will be available before T-Mobile and probably before an unlocked) but just because it happened with the 600 doesn't mean it will happen with the 650.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    If you buy a GSM phone from PalmOne, it won't be locked. PalmOne can not afford to lock all their GSM phones for Cingular. It makes no sense. The Treo 650 is a world phone and it will be marketed that way. If you buy a 650 phone from Cingular, they may have customized it and put some sort of lock on it. But any GSM purchased from Palm will immediately work on T-Mobile's network the moment you put your SIM chip in it.