Page 16 of 133 FirstFirst ... 611121314151617181920212666116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoWiz
    GSMers.....I say wait for T650 GSM version. I got the Sprint 650 today and love it but the battery life is not as good as my T-Mo T600. Also, voice quality is a little better with GSM than CDMA. The new screen and keyboard is awesome and makes it worthwhile upgrading to the 650.
    Yeah, I agree. Good Idea. We just have to be resigned to the fact that it is not going to ship until Jan.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I thought so too 100th but I didn't want to jinx it. But I got a different email today regarding other 5 and those are set for January too.
    but the other units are not included with the original VC order right? (holding onto hope)
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by NanoWiz
    GSMers.....I say wait for T650 GSM version. I got the Sprint 650 today and love it but the battery life is not as good as my T-Mo T600. Also, voice quality is a little better with GSM than CDMA. The new screen and keyboard is awesome and makes it worthwhile upgrading to the 650.
    I agree on all counts, and those are two of the main reasons I a choose to use GSM. That and coverage is great in the NYC metro area with Cingular Blue

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    but the other units are not included with the original VC order right? (holding onto hope)
    well, I am assuming as Vienna Channels is handling the other 5 and the 1, and Jeff is in charge of both, all are going together. But, I may be wrong. I did get out of him that buyers were before borrowers.
    I spoke with my local T-Mobile store Sales Manager yesterday, and enquired about T-Mo getting the 650, and when that might occur. He said that Sprint had an exculsive contract for 6 Months, and then Cingular would be added on with an exclusive GSM contract for 6 months, and then T-Mobile after that. I find it hard to believe they would give Sprint exclusive rights for 6 months, and that T-Mo wouldn't be carrying it for a year from its release...heck Palm will probably be releasing the next addition after a year.
    I don't think that Cingular will happen until 6 months after Sprint. I would guess based on statements from P1 execs that Cingular will likely be in January and probably Orange in Europe. It's possible that Verizon will follow Sprint after 6 months and T-Mobile follow Cingular after 6 months. Most carriers that get exclusive though are usually 3 months. Right now Cingular has an exclusive on the Motorla V3 Razr (a really cool phone) for three months in the U.S. My biggest concern is how long until an unlocked GSM is available. I'll be honest though, I'm starting to get concerned about all the complaints about dialing delays on the 650. I've had a 600 from the beginning (and a 270 before that) and I don't remember issues like this before.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Orange (GSM) had an exclusive 1 year deal in most of Europe with the 600, and so the only treo 600 you could get was a locked Orange one! I expect we'll see something similar with the 650.

Perhaps P1 is planning something similar in the US.
    I will definately wait for the GSM version (indeed the unlocked one). But I am still not sure I will upgrade it or not I am quite unsatisfied with the 650 specs because of:

- Camera
    - Lack of WiFi
    - SDIO capabilities (does anyone knows about it??)

And so on... Bluetooth was the problem of the previous year. This year a smart phone must have WiFi.
    MUST have GSM! Brought my T-Mo 180 here to Turkey a while back, popped in a local SIM card, and BAM! Rockin'-and-rollin'! Still use it all over the world.

So being abroad there is no choice, but even if I were still in the US I'd stick with GSM, just more flexible.

I think I heard CDMA is popular is South Korea.. anyone know?
    -mbd26
    Stig,

Orange (GSM) had an exclusive 1 year deal in most of Europe with the 600, and so the only treo 600 you could get was a locked Orange one! I expect we'll see something similar with the 650
    That is pretty unaccurate, unlocked Treo 600 were available in Europe just few days after Orange had it. They were available at the superexpensive TreoStore (andando) distributor, it took few months more to see them at eXpansys and It is true that Palm Web Shop did not offer the mobile after a year later.

This could be the strategy for T650 as well, i.e. available through Orange at a reasonable price and GSM unlocked through others at the same time but at 800EUR!..

Lets wait and see...
    how long has the sprint version been out?
    has vienna started shipping any of those?
    can we expect a similar delay in getting the vienna gsm models?

i think February for vianna gsm orders to ship.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The father of this thread - TechJunkie - has been quiet. Did he convert over to CDMA?
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by margnoz
    Stig, That is pretty unaccurate, unlocked Treo 600 were available in Europe just few days after Orange had it. They were available at the superexpensive TreoStore (andando) distributor, it took few months more to see them at eXpansys and It is true that Palm Web Shop did not offer the mobile after a year later.

This could be the strategy for T650 as well, i.e. available through Orange at a reasonable price and GSM unlocked through others at the same time but at 800EUR!..

Lets wait and see...
    Hmm, that's pretty inaccurate

The unlocked GSM version was not available in the UK (at least) until the end of April 2004. I'm fairly sure many other european countries were the same. Orange had a 1-year exclusive contract in many countries.

Ironically, TreoStore.com STILL has the 600 available only on Orange in the UK!

However, I quite agree that the price from P1 (once finally available) was VERY high. In the UK it was 525 pounds, which is getting on for $1000. Even now, it is 475 pounds, which is over $900 !

I took the least expensive option, and imported one from the US.
    i think February for vianna gsm orders to ship.
    No, Vienna Channels will ship in January GSM, they have to, To many software vendors are at stake with Enterprise customers. Again, my predicted (without basis) shipping date is Jan 10.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Why anyone would switch from GSM to Sprint or Verizon I can't imagine. There is nothing like being able to swap out handsets at will. I even keep an old Sony Ericsson phone on my MINI, because it has bluetooth. If I am going to be driving for a while, I pop the sim card out of the Treo 600 and into the SE. Heh, can't do that with Verizon or Sprint! Nor can I be at the top of a mountain in Switzerland and send an SMS to someone in the US...

Yeah, I am waiting for the GSM Treo 650, or 700 or whatever they will call it.
    GSMers,

It won't be long now. The month turns December at the stroke of 12 midnight. I hope TechJunkie is still with us.
    rousing from tumultous sleep...decemember, will this be a december to remember?

have to wait Canada, eh... pity.
    Wait til u hear this one. Finally after all that we have endured, I went to the VC site to order the 5 additional units (I gave up on getting a response from P1 and VC on my questions) for our 3rd party vendor demo and the GSM is not a choice, it is grayed out like it was before the long Beach RS.
    I send an e-mail to p1 support every day asking when a GSM t650 will be available. i know it is super annoying, but that is the only way to get a company to recognize consumer demand - my version of a letter writing campaign.

anyways, i get pretty much the same response every day. each csr says pretty much the same thing:

"The Treo 650 will become available through specific mobile service providers (GSM) in the United States later this year and early next year, with worldwide release to follow that may be in 2005 yet."

while this news isn't anything we haven't heard before, the consistancy between responses is notable. i've probably written and received about 30 of these e-mails.

this little exercise makes me very confident that we will see a GSM version by late dec./early jan. '05 in the US, worldwide by late jan.

i encourage everyone to join me in sending frequent e-mails to p1 inquiring about the release, it can't hurt.

do so here:
    http://www.palmone.com/us/support/co...l_support.html
    (for 'issue' 'serial number' etc, just make it up)