Page 14 of 133 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718192464114 ... LastLast
    cglaguna,

The one interesting thing about this current PalmOne crisis is that there is a long history of executives shuttling between Apple and Palm. I remember distinctly some of the problems Apple had with marketing back in the 80s and 90s. I have stuck with Apple through all of it because their products were imaginatively innovative and useful. The same is true of PalmOne and its products. But Palm must do what Apple has done. Only in Apple's case they waited too late. Apple is profitable now and has corrected its marketing, and production woes, but only after losing significant market share in the last 15 years. There was a time when Apple when 20% of all computers were Apple branded.

My point in all of this is that PalmOne has inherited some of the same guys who are now gone from Apple because they made serious miscalculations during the OS wars. I hope PalmOne can sieze the moment, learn from the history and dominate this space. I would hate to see them bought up and become a niche player. Below is a snippet and link describing the shuttling of execs between the two companies. This article is from 2001, but I believe this mindset persists today. I don't think these guys lack talent. I think it is more of a mindset. Apple under Steve Jobs changed its mindset and began unloading some of these guys.

Soon, Nagel will have another ex-Apple developer reporting to him. Palm recently tapped former Newton boss Steve Sakoman to become the chief technology officer of the OS subsidiary once Palm's asset purchase of OS maker Be is completed. Sakoman is Be's chief operating officer.

Nagel and Sakoman will join a number of other ex-Apple workers. Doug Solomon, Palm's chief strategy officer, and Satjiv Chahil, Palm's marketing chief, also hail from Apple.
    http://news.com.com/Palm+picks+new+O..._3-272176.html

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    100th and 38, you both are right, 100%. If i was CDMA, I would be much more concerned. Although I don't do contracts, I am again excited about the 650 after being dismayed by the posts, and news. Not to say I am very disapointed in P1, but, i would love to post a poll of keeping 600 or moving to 650, I guarantee that people would choose the 650 with memory probs. Even if the poll asked if given the choice of replacing the 600 screen with the 650 screen and add bluetooth, I doubt people would keep the 600.

I was truly loyal to handspring, when palm one bought out, i was terrified, but I know there was no choice. Was handspring perfect, no way, but they were creative and innovative. Now it appears that the only things placed on our P1 phones are proven techologies, and they are not even tested fully. Again we are in a state of continual beta test, this has been happening for years in all technology. Do I blame Palm One for the shortcoming of the 650, yes and no. I highly blame Sprint, and SPrint like companies, although I know people call this the conspiracy theory, whatever. I am not against Palm one, and maybe this is a wake up call, that whatever they do will turn to gold, cuz it's not. The individuals are good people, those who went to the Roadshow know that, they are as frustrated as we are, and they are taking the heat.

Am I waiting and enthusiatic for a 650, yes. Will I proudly be carry a piece of equipment that i am proud of, well, less than the past 4 years. Palm One will be bought out, and the product will be even less innovative and creative, but probably more stable. I still look forward to my GSM 650.
    Last edited by specimen38; 11/25/2004 at 09:51 AM.
    What happened to the GSMers?
    still waiting...
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Still waiting, but as I posted on another thread, I don't remember who is with which GSM carrier but Cing/ATT has changed their trial period to 30 days. Does not affect me, but would affect new customers. Give new 650 users time to make sure they like it. I always hated the 14 day rule that most all follow, not enough time to check out the coverage.
    i was getting week a couple of days ago (cold sweets) and was ready to switch to cdma. now i'm better.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The GSM "waiting state" perspective has given me a different view of all the issues. I think we might get a shot at pre-ordering the T650 before Christmas.
    Well....I gave in and ordered a 650 from PalmOne directly. I'm going to test SprintPCS out for 10 days and compare it to my T-Mobile service with the T600. No matter what, I will still keep my T-Mo account because I use the Aircard 750 for web access. I'm really interested in seeing how Vision is and hearing the difference between GSM and CDMA voice quality. Hopefully, everything will run smoothly with Sprint's customer service. Let see

I can't wait until Monday....FedEx better bring it on time.
    I may try CDMA in a couple of years once EV-DV with the newer smv codec is released, but until then GSM baby!!!! Oh yeah, and people on AWS WCDMA networks do report even better voice quality with UMTS though battery life is horrendus as expected. Fast data too though

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

FWIW Treo 650 web surfing on Sprint has been extremely fast for me. Everything has been loading so quickly I feel like I'm almost on my computer's broadband connection. (ALMOST)

I wish, though, that we could have a GSM Treo to test out battery life. My battery takes quite a beating. I have my Treo pulling in my e-mail every 15 minutes. At this rate it looks like I'll need to recharge every other day.
    And none have been sold in 5 days (which surprises me because it's a decent price). That doesn't bode well for used GSM 600 resale value.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    And none have been sold in 5 days (which surprises me because it's a decent price). That doesn't bode well for used GSM 600 resale value.
    Can't you get the phone from other sources for $299, I thought I saw that somewhere. Maybe I am wrong, I thought it was P1... I just checked its $349 with Cing/Att Activation + 4 accessories. But I am surprised too.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywithacold
    FWIW Treo 650 web surfing on Sprint has been extremely fast for me. Everything has been loading so quickly I feel like I'm almost on my computer's broadband connection. (ALMOST)

I wish, though, that we could have a GSM Treo to test out battery life. My battery takes quite a beating. I have my Treo pulling in my e-mail every 15 minutes. At this rate it looks like I'll need to recharge every other day.
    It would be nice to have a comparison of a Sprint 600 to a Sprint 650. What is the impact on battery life of the new screen and keyboard?
    anyone have newer word on t-mob
    no word from t-mob officially...Weebit! I thought u 'd have attended the road show and ordered unlocked one!
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I may try CDMA in a couple of years once EV-DV with the newer smv codec is released, but until then GSM baby!!!! Oh yeah, and people on AWS WCDMA networks do report even better voice quality with UMTS though battery life is horrendus as expected. Fast data too though
    That's good news. One of the WCDMA networks is right here in the SF Bay Area. I am excited to hear your report and how this technology is evolving.
    benefits to ubergeekhood. I think that new fuel cell technology will really PROPEL us. Until portable devices can support the power drain of newer technology, we won't be able to truly appreciate what we can do with VGA screens, fast processors, and screaming download speeds

Quote Originally Posted by WeeBitObsessed
    anyone have newer word on t-mob
    There is a guy of this thread saying he spoke with a Business Sales person who told him that TMobile would bypass the T650 for a Treo 700. You might want to PM this guy and find out more details. Perhaps it's the same 650 with a different numerical distinction.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...788#post473788
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    What happened to the GSMers?
    Specimen... I, like you am still waiting. Still no word from my carrier ATTingular. Not even a hint than something may be in the offing. Oh well, my T|3 still works with my Motorola V600. I can continue to wait. I picked up an AT&T Sierra 775 Aircard for my HP Jornada 728, so I can surf pretty darn well with that when I can afford to have my simm in it in-lieu of my V600.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    patience is a virtue of GSM users

I got your pm. I pm'd you back about the other stuff.

I think our patience will pay-off. I am certain they will ship our 128MB SD card with our Treo 650s as well as other incentives.