Page 13 of 133 FirstFirst ... 3891011121314151617182363113 ... LastLast
    Wow, that's really cool. Anything in the psychiatric field?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Although we have one psychiatrist on staff, we haven't developed anything special for that program.

Is that in your field or professional? Are there software applications that could useful in a psychiatric practice?

Changing the subject a bit. Yesterday, I was attempting to get some members who had created a new GSM thread to post in this thread. The thread was titled "Advantage...GSM." I think this thread has had some great dialogue. It's amazing that members want to reinvent the wheel and start their own thread -- and tread over the same information.
    I saw that, LOL. I'll PM you about the other when I have a few minutes

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Did any of you Cingular/ATT people get the color brochure/magazine in the mail from Cingular touting the coverage and all the new high tech phones, and no picture or mention of a 650 or even a 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    100th,

I am going to jump on to the T650 as soon as it is available in GSM. Also, I will re-ante up if I have to if PalmOne comes out with something substantially better and compelling in the next 4-6 months. I work in the health care industry and I train doctors to use these things using Epocrates and Bluefish Rx. However, I have a strange relationship with our company. They're very conservative, so I usually have to invest personally in my gadgets and technologies then they (the company) go out and reimburse me 30x over after they see my application and success with the devices. I'm a developer in a .Net environment with SQL databases. I looking forward to developing some really neat applications for our docs using the T650.
    Very interesting info specimen 38.
    I am a physician .You probably know there level of geekness when it comes to
    toys like Treo.No one in my unit has a treo and they all think you need a level of geekness to use them, specially the senior guys .
    They are happy with there big ol cell phone. I helped one few months ago to change her analog motorola to a new camera phone.
    Treo is a great device, unfortunately the best physician resource Uptodate is available only for PPC.
    Make it available for Palm and you sure will earn $$$$$.........
    100th and 38,
    One benefit from being GSM is not only are bugs being worked out right now, but, because we are not falling into the 2-year contract deal. We are going to have the option to upgrade if one becomes available in 6 months or a year. Thats why I do everything not to tie myself to my carrier, and usually I can still get them to kick me some credit every upgrade. I was concerned about this whole 650 controversy, but I shouldn't, it really isn't costing that much.
    Today, I was just talking to my office mate who works in development with me about Palms and the older physicians. It's an interesting topic. There is an irony to it all. They (older physicians) want the Palm devices only because they see the other younger physicians using them. They think its a "perk" and not a tool for assisting them to be more efficient. One physician has permitted his Palm M515 to sit in a cradle charging for 2+ years. The origingal BlueFish Rx application we purchased for it -- no longer works on it. The upgrades are to big to fit in the 8mb.

Most of the stuff I am writing is customized for our offices. Presently, I am designing a database of our methadone clients. One of the docs needs to monitor and report on dosages. At one of our sites, we run a community based outpatient substance abuse treatment program. The application that I am now "re-writing" (which is another long story) calculates in realtime #of client dosing, avg dose/client, and total ml used/bottle/day. If everthing works right and is HIPPA compliant, that physician will be able to view this data on his Treo 650 over our IntraNet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Very interesting info specimen 38.
    I am a physician .You probably know there level of geekness when it comes to
    toys like Treo.No one in my unit has a treo and they all think you need a level of geekness to use them, specially the senior guys .
    They are happy with there big ol cell phone. I helped one few months ago to change her analog motorola to a new camera phone.
    Treo is a great device, unfortunately the best physician resource Uptodate is available only for PPC.
    Make it available for Palm and you sure will earn $$$$$.........
    @ cglaguna

I reserved myself a while back to buying handsets outright. I usually get a decent phone at the time or contract renewal and sell it on eBay. THen I feel okay about being on contract

Cglaguna,

100th's plan of going on Ebay is great. However, I have been very fortunate to have a network of friends who buy my gadgets second-hand. I am a walking demo, sales and pitch man when I get a new toy. Fortunately, I have been able to unload camcorders, Palms, & computers. I have tried to sell the things before the novelty wears off. I usually recoup about no less than 60-70% of the original price of the item. GSM and EBay is perfect for that. Even better though-- is that re-selling a GSM phone offers a wider audience. I am speaking about selling to Europeans who won't see a substantial supply of T650 until perhaps March or April 05. This is great way to sample a product, especially in light of the fact that the Euro and the Pound are very strong these days against the dollar. Does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    100th and 38,
    One benefit from being GSM is not only are bugs being worked out right now, but, because we are not falling into the 2-year contract deal. We are going to have the option to upgrade if one becomes available in 6 months or a year. Thats why I do everything not to tie myself to my carrier, and usually I can still get them to kick me some credit every upgrade. I was concerned about this whole 650 controversy, but I shouldn't, it really isn't costing that much.
    we really have no choice but to wait for gsm here in New Zealand. Telecom (CDMA provider) have not even release treo 600.
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    we really have no choice but to wait for gsm here in New Zealand. Telecom (CDMA provider) have not even release treo 600.
    Those of us would travel anywhere but the USA have no choice either. It's amazing to me how the American world view is so different from the world view of the rest of the world. I would venture that most Amercians never travel beyond the US borders.

We are affluent gadget hounds who dictate the electronics market for ourselves with little thought of how our tastes impact the rest of the world. Case-in-point would seem to be the fact that Sprint, a company who is locket into CDMA can gobble up production of Treo 650's so completely that no one seems to be able to buy a GSM phone. Some testing of GSM phones seems to have been done by members of this forum but those folks seem to be beta testers, Road Show attendees, or corporate IT managers.

I think P1 may have put a foot wrong in dedicating their first 2 months of production to CDMA. There are genuine alternatives to the Treo 650 available right now and P1 is losing that market share, not to mention Europe and Asia.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    What exactly are the genuine alternatives to the Treo 650 in the US? I'm not trying to start something, I'd like to know in case I decide I don't like the CDMA 650 my husband is letting me test out. (I'm waiting for a GSM version). I don't really see anything out there quite like the Treo 650 that offers the same functionality, compact form factor and keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeywithacold
    What exactly are the genuine alternatives to the Treo 650 in the US? I'm not trying to start something, I'd like to know in case I decide I don't like the CDMA 650 my husband is letting me test out. (I'm waiting for a GSM version). I don't really see anything out there quite like the Treo 650 that offers the same functionality, compact form factor and keyboard.
    Take a look at the Treo 600. For those of us who are PDA users, as opposed to (dumb) smartphone users, it is a great buy. It is offered by most GSM service providers. The 650 is not offered by any GSM providers in the US.
    if we were to pop open the 650, can we add more memory?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Oh sorry the 600 isn't an option for me. Hubby had one and I didn't much like it. I'm really liking the improvements on the 650. The memory issue is a non-issue for me. It's not even much of an issue for my husband and he's the real geek in the family.

Hubby and I did a test of the phone on the 650 and it's not too shabby. I'm going for it and getting Treo 650. The question is whether I will endure the uncertain wait for GSM or go for the CDMA so readily available now. I actually already have a Sprint account and was going to switch to T-Mobile but I may just stick with Sprint and go for the instant gratification, although I do hate my phone number. THAT must change. I'm always getting weird messages from people who are apparently drug dealers or looking for one. (For the shmuck who keeps calling me--get a clue, I am NOT your brother Dave and I will NOT come over and help you paint your house! After three months of unanswered messages, wake up from your stupor and go over to Dave's house and talk to him, or get off your dead **** and paint your own house. Open a window and stop sniffing the paint fumes!)

Sorry, I just had to get that off my chest...anyway, getting back to phones...I don't know now if I will wait. There's something about actually having that phone in my hand and liking it just fine that makes waiting for GSM suddenly less important. Especially as I've been doing okay on CDMA all this time.

I'll have a lot to think about. One of the reasons I would like to switch to GSM is that on occasion when I have to do some heavy duty work around the house or yard, I it would be nice to pop out the SIM card of the beautiful expensive Treo and put it in a cheap "disposable" phone.
    I am sure by now that most of you have read PalmOne's acknowledgement of issues with memory and offer of restitution to CDMA Treo 650 owners consisting of 128 MB SD card and a ROM upgrade.

How many units were effected by this problem?
    Are new GSM units with more memory in production?
    Will there be an attempt to sell off the remaining 32 MB GSM devices?
    Will there be a revised released date for GSM devices?
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by specimen38; 11/24/2004 at 11:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    How many units were effected by this problem?
    Are new GSM units with more memory in production?
    Will there be an attempt to sell off the remaining 32 MB GSM devices?
    Will there be a revised released date for GSM devices?
    Thoughts?
    I believe GSM units will come out with the same specs.

Commitments were made long before this became a big deal. Production is tooled up to produce 32mb devices, and only 32mb chips were ordered. GSM devices are probably in production already, and it's entirely too early for the ROM to make it into the production line.

If they do decide to come out with a higher capacity device, PalmOne will use up their supply of parts first, before tooling up for a larger capacity 650.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    They'd have to give me a Sprint phone for free including a no contract commitment or for a 100 bucks (also with no commitment) before I'd give up a GSM (Treo, of course) PHONE! Versatility! Easier to switch phones, sell your old one to a wider variety of buyers, travel options are better etc, etc, etc.
    I'm "chomping at the bit" but will wait! GSM for me! Boy I hope they offer up Cingular soon...very SOON!
    waiting is moot. hubby gifted me with a sprint 650. I love it so far. but I had to keep the same number for now and I guess I am stuck with the weird wrong number calls. hmph
    100th and 38, you both are right, 100%. If i was CDMA, I would be much more concerned. Although I don't do contracts, I am again excited about the 650 after being dismayed by the posts, and news. Not to say I am very disapointed in P1, but, i would love to post a poll of keeping 600 or moving to 650, I guarantee that people would choose the 650 with memory probs. Even if the poll asked if given the choice of replacing the 600 screen with the 650 screen and add bluetooth, I doubt people would keep the 600.

I was truly loyal to handspring, when palm one bought out, i was terrified, but I know there was no choice. Was handspring perfect, no way, but they were creative and innovative. Now it appears that the only things placed on our P1 phones are proven techologies, and they are not even tested fully. Again we are in a state of continual beta test, this has been happening for years in all technology. Do I blame Palm One for the shortcoming of the 650, yes and no. I highly blame Sprint, and SPrint like companies, although I know people call this the conspiracy theory, whatever. I am not against Palm one, and maybe this is a wake up call, that whatever they do will turn to gold, cuz it's not. The individuals are good people, those who went to the Roadshow know that, they are as frustrated as we are, and they are taking the heat.

Am I waiting and enthusiatic for a 650, yes. Will I proudly be carry a piece of equipment that i am proud of, well, less than the past 4 years. Palm One will be bought out, and the product will be even less innovative and creative, but probably more stable. I still look forward to my GSM 650.