Page 12 of 133 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262112 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 2657
  1. pmdied's Avatar
    Posts
    409 Posts
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    #221  
    I'm on T-mobile and I like their data plan rates. I'll be waiting for the GSM model but they better have a solution for the memory. Let the CDMA users be the guinea pigs! hehehe.
  2. #222  
    I am in the same boat. Tmobile is great in my area. I feel the data speeds to be slow at times, but will continue the same .
  3. #223  
    GSMers,

    One lesson learned from the CDMAers regarding memory might be avoided by the GSMers.

    There is a utility that permits a Treo Palm device to utilize the memory of a SD card as it own internal memory since certain applications will not run from an SD card. From reading a number of threads, this is the source of many problems. Follow this link for a possible solution.

    http://www.geocities.jp/tatsuonagama...t5/index-e.htm
  4. #224  
    There is a program called "PowerRun" that can do this. ZLauncher does it too. They simply move the app. (+ the app.'s databases if you choose) to your external card and leave a shortcut to the app. in RAM.. It works, but it's still not as fast as having the apps. in RAM. It doesn't feel the same.
  5. #225  
    Now it is annoying to have slow launch of apps.
    An important reason ,I decided to dump hp 6315 as the colored circle before launchin an app was giving me a headache.
    P1 will have to find a better solution.
  6. #226  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    There is a program called "PowerRun" that can do this. ZLauncher does it too. They simply move the app. (+ the app.'s databases if you choose) to your external card and leave a shortcut to the app. in RAM.. It works, but it's still not as fast as having the apps. in RAM. It doesn't feel the same.
    I don't think PowerRun runs on Palm OS version 5. I could be mistaken. However, the product I mentioned most certainly does. Presumebaly, if PowerRun did run on OS 5, it is my understanding that SD Flash memory is getting super fast. I understand that there is a new more costly SD memory product out there that might not make your experience not so annoyingly slow.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mtreosexual
    Now it is annoying to have slow launch of apps.
    An important reason ,I decided to dump hp 6315 as the colored circle before launchin an app was giving me a headache.
    P1 will have to find a better solution.
  7. #227  
    PowerRun does work with PalmOS5. I'm using it on my Sony CLIE TH55 right now. With those faster SD cards, you will only notice faster transfer speeds in digital cameras.
  8. #228  
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    PowerRun does work with PalmOS5. I'm using it on my Sony CLIE TH55 right now. With those faster SD cards, you will only notice faster transfer speeds in digital cameras.
    Good info. I presume you are saying with PowerRun those "faster SD cards" are not fast enough. Secondly, is there something in the way the application MSMount5 is written that would make it faster than PowerRun. It seemed to be the application of choice in the Utilities forum.
  9. Stig's Avatar
    Posts
    329 Posts
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    #229  
    Is the SD card interface in the 650 faster than the 600?

    I remember posts saying that there was no point putting a high-speed SD card in a Treo 600. Has the situation improved any?
  10. #230  
    Some of us don't have a choice... but I'm not complaining

    CDMA=USA "and a couple of other places" so it just won't work for me. Need a phone that 'moves' when I do.
    www.gsmworld.com
  11. #231  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Good info. I presume you are saying ...those "faster SD cards" are not fast enough
    The cards aren't the major hang up here, its how fast that the T600 or T650 in this case will write and read to the card. Its like putting Z rated tires on a Geo Metro. Just because the card is capable of a certain speed, the unit may not be able to take full adavantage of the benefits. THe P1 engineers have said that the T650 will be able to read/write at the speeds of the Sandisk Ultra II, but NOT the new 20MB/s Sandisk and Panasonic cards that were announced recently
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  12. #232  
    100thMonkey,

    You said the current card are rated at 20MB/Sec. Life experience tell me that's probably between 10-14 MB/Sec. But my question is, what are the ratings on on the current ratings on the fastest SD cards the T650 can use?

    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    The cards aren't the major hang up here, its how fast that the T600 or T650 in this case will write and read to the card. Its like putting Z rated tires on a Geo Metro. Just because the card is capable of a certain speed, the unit may not be able to take full adavantage of the benefits. THe P1 engineers have said that the T650 will be able to read/write at the speeds of the Sandisk Ultra II, but NOT the new 20MB/s Sandisk and Panasonic cards that were announced recently
  13. #233  
    does the card transfer rate also affect how fast you can transfer data using a USB2 or firewire card reader?
  14. #234  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    100thMonkey,

    You said the current card are rated at 20MB/Sec. Life experience tell me that's probably between 10-14 MB/Sec. But my question is, what are the ratings on on the current ratings on the fastest SD cards the T650 can use?
    The fastest currently available are about 9 MB/s write and 10 MB/s read. There were some new cards announced by Panasonic and SanDisk that will be capable of 20MB/s, but they are not available yet

    Here are some current comparative benchmarks Treo 600 is kinda slow comparted to other handhelds
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  15. #235  
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    does the card transfer rate also affect how fast you can transfer data using a USB2 or firewire card reader?
    yes
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  16. #236  
    Thanks 100thMonkey,

    I started doing research and I found the thread with the same benchmarks you posted. I haven't had a chance to go through them, but you've done your homework. I wonder if 9 MB/s write and 10 MB/s read speeds is the optimal speed and if the realistic speeds are somewhere in the 4 MB/s write and 5 MB/s read range.

    What's been your experience? I have a 64 MB SanDisk and it is as slow as molasses.

    http://heller.ca/cgi-local/palm/cardspeed.cgi


    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    The fastest currently available are about 9 MB/s write and 10 MB/s read. There were some new cards announced by Panasonic and SanDisk that will be capable of 20MB/s, but they are not available yet

    Here are some current comparative benchmarks Treo 600 is kinda slow comparted to other handhelds
  17. #237  
    The old SanDisks are pretty slow. I had one some years back for a Tungsten and a 2 megapix digicam. Then I used a Panasonic 256. It was really fast back for 2001 and everyone raved about that would pay for it (myself included). Currently, I am using a SanDisk Ultra II 256 . I don't really need more than 256 currently because I am more into productivity applications than music or movies on Treo. I have heard lots of good things about the Transcend and PQI cards. Elysian9 is another user that you may want to search for his posts on the subject.

    **important note of caution** SanDisk Ultra II have a nasty habit of corrupting. I'm not sure if its still an issue, but myself and several others used the cards once or twice before they crapped out and had to be trashed or replaced. They are nice, but not as reliable as the Transcend based on what I have read from others.

    You are correct, the current limitation with the SD card usage on the Treo 600 is the Treo, not the cards. Same goes with T650, it sounds like they will support about a 10 MB read/write speed, give or take on the new Treo. So, it won't make alot of sense to run out and get a SanDisk Ultra III or the new Panasonic that support 20 MB/s transfers because the Treo simply can't write that fast.

    All that said, I have used PowerRun, MSMount, LauncherX and ZLauncher. I have found that ZLauncher is a fabulous memory management software. it does wonder for any Palm OS device that I use. I stand by it, even with a somewhat cluttered interface because of its superior memory management.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  18. #238  
    Really valueable insight on the SD Cards. I am really out of my league when discussing them. The only one I on as I stated before is a Sandisk and I bought it on sale because I was being a tight-wad.

    Changing the subject somewhat, I went to that sight you posted and downloaded that SD Card speed-checking software. I ran it on my T3 with a 64 MB Sandisk card and it was atrotiously slow. I actually got mad it was so slow. It was a waste of money.

    Nevertheless, I am going to take a long look again at my purchase of a GSM Treo 650. I remember a couple of years ago I bought a Tungsten T and Palm (not PalmOne) out with a T2 about six months after I had gotten my device.

    I am wondering if that will be the case with the 650.

    PS. That memory management software tip was the bomb.

    Dude, your are coming up on 1000 post.
  19. #239  
    Hey, its only through inquisitive and pleasant posters such as yourself that my post count rises...(I really get turned off by flame wars).

    I am going to jump on the GSM T650 first moment...through Vienna Channels (order 277) or Cingular contract renewal. And most likely I would leap for the next model in 4 months if it was released if it showed [s]substantive[/i] improvement. It depends for me though about what an upgrade would offer. I also had a T|T, but I never made the leap to a new handheld device until the T600 even though I had multiple handsets during the same time period: Motorola V60, SE T39, SE P800, Nokia 3600. I am so impressed by the convergence aspets of the Treo line that I am hooked.

    That said, more memory and improved screen in and of themselves aren't likely to make me upgrade IF I have a T650 and am making do well with ZLauncher. Maybe internal antena and faster SD..that would be a nice touch.

    Honestly though, I see the next Treo as being a low end value based model
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

    Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

    About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  20. #240  
    100th,

    I am going to jump on to the T650 as soon as it is available in GSM. Also, I will re-ante up if I have to if PalmOne comes out with something substantially better and compelling in the next 4-6 months. I work in the health care industry and I train doctors to use these things using Epocrates and Bluefish Rx. However, I have a strange relationship with our company. They're very conservative, so I usually have to invest personally in my gadgets and technologies then they (the company) go out and reimburse me 30x over after they see my application and success with the devices. I'm a developer in a .Net environment with SQL databases. I looking forward to developing some really neat applications for our docs using the T650.



    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    I am going to jump on the GSM T650 first moment...through Vienna Channels (order 277) or Cingular contract renewal. And most likely I would leap for the next model in 4 months if it was released if it showed [s]substantive[/i] improvement. It depends for me though about what an upgrade would offer. I also had a T|T, but I never made the leap to a new handheld device until the T600 even though I had multiple handsets during the same time period: Motorola V60, SE T39, SE P800, Nokia 3600. I am so impressed by the convergence aspets of the Treo line that I am hooked.

    That said, more memory and improved screen in and of themselves aren't likely to make me upgrade IF I have a T650 and am making do well with ZLauncher. Maybe internal antena and faster SD..that would be a nice touch.

    Honestly though, I see the next Treo as being a low end value based model

Posting Permissions