Page 103 of 133 FirstFirst ... 353939899100101102103104105106107108113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2657
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    Huh? Who said that? (I assume you meant 650 not 600 and launched not LUNCHED).
    Oops.... my fingers got tangled.... 650 and launch.... Thanks for being there for me MisterEd (MisterEditor?)
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    AT&T had a $25 unlimited UMTS plan? Sure you're not thinking of the $25 unlimited mMode plan? I can tell you from experience that mMode wasn't and isn't IMEI restricted. UMTS is $79 unlimited and AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $has$ $always$ $been$. $Now$ $THAT$ $may$ $have$ $been$ $IMEI$ $limited$.
    Try this page:
    http://www.attwireless.com/umts/coverage.html
    Yes, it's the $25 mMode UMTS plan. I guess I don't really understand your question, it seems like you're saying that they don't have a $25 UMTS plan, but they have a $25 mMode plan that has UMTS. Isn't that the same thing?
    In any case, I'm sure that's not what you meant. Here's what I was talking about at the URL above. They list a $25 mMode plan (on this UMTS page.)
    Note this fine print:
    *Tethering data usage is not included in the $24.99 Unlimited mMode plan. Unlimited service only applies to email, Internet and intranet access on a UMTS phone. Connection to another device via cable, Bluetooth®, or infrared will be charged $0.001/KB.
    You also will be charged $0.001 per KB if you remove the SIM card from your phone and use it to get wireless data service from another device or computer.
    This is enforced with the IMEI number. The fine print USED to specifically say that (about the IMEI) but now they just say if the SIM is used in another phone (same difference.)
    Last edited by taylorh; 01/25/2005 at 06:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Try this page:
    Yes, it's the $25 mMode UMTS plan. I guess I don't really understand your question, it seems like you're saying that they don't have a $25 UMTS plan, but they have a $25 mMode plan that has UMTS. Isn't that the same thing?
    In any case, I'm sure that's not what you meant. Here's what I was talking about at the URL above. They list a $25 mMode plan (on this UMTS page.)
    Note this fine print:

This is enforced with the IMEI number. The fine print USED to specifically say that (about the IMEI) but now they just say if the SIM is used in another phone (same difference.)
    you need to have a UMTS phone for that package
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Well 2 B2B reps said that they have heard nothing of the mid Feb or Feb 2 release.. It is still on for Thursday.. I don't know anymore, but to tease us more.. Here is a story at engadget that someone already has a gsm cingular treo 650..
    http://engadget.com/entry/1234000900028813/
    I fell off the wagon at the last minute. I got sucked into adulation again. Why do we keep getting caught up in all of this? I was told 1-2 months at CES. I promised I would not believe anything else. Those B2B reps do not have good information. They misled to sell. Andrew, who works on the ATT side of Cingular, started back-peddling on the Treo 650 release. Now he says they won't know until tomorrow. He wants a call tomorrow EST 12 noon. @ 1-800-342-3212 x6920
    you need to have a UMTS phone for that package
    Yes, that's obvious and completely beside the point.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    Bring back the Newton! I would love to see an Apple branded Palm type device. That would be awesome, but I'm relatively sure it's not going to happen.
    Did you know after Steve Jobs came back and took over Apple, rumor had it that he offered to buy the Palm handset division from (who owned them at the time? before they were spun off)... Now I don't think it is very likely either, but I sure would like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by webtoker
    Guess you haven't heard the horror stories of the PowerBooks G4 keyboard problems.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/we...P9.2@.689bc46e

http://www.appleorlemon.com
    I guess that horror stories involving a laptop model ruin their reputation. Sorry for the sarcasm. Seriously, I have some pretty nice computers at the office, I have never seen a PC that could touch a Mac (in the last 6 or 7 ears anyway) on design.

My Toshiba Satalite laptop is great, but the touchpad sucks and doesn't even work perfectly, does that mean Toshiba products suck? Nope. Does it mean that touchpad sucks? Yup.

I never claimed Apple was purfect, but I think the PC industry would be in sad shape without them around (at least for them to copy).
    Quote Originally Posted by helpermonkey
    Did you know after Steve Jobs came back and took over Apple, rumor had it that he offered to buy the Palm handset division from (who owned them at the time? before they were spun off)... Now I don't think it is very likely either, but I sure would like to see it.

I guess that horror stories involving a laptop model ruin their reputation. Sorry for the sarcasm. Seriously, I have some pretty nice computers at the office, I have never seen a PC that could touch a Mac (in the last 6 or 7 ears anyway) on design.

My Toshiba Satalite laptop is great, but the touchpad sucks and doesn't even work perfectly, does that mean Toshiba products suck? Nope. Does it mean that touchpad sucks? Yup.

I never claimed Apple was purfect, but I think the PC industry would be in sad shape without them around (at least for them to copy).
    Ya, I have been impressed with everything else they make and I have used. I own two iPods and have been very pleased. I work with Powerbook Ti and iBooks at the office and they have been great. It is just that this time I got burnt and it was my $2500 Powerbook Alluminum. The worst part about it is they choose to ignore the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    You've got to be kidding me. $49.99 for unlimited data?????? $20 on T-Mobile and $15 on Sprint. Unbelieveable if true!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I had previously seen $39.99 mentioned not $49.99.

I'm still dumbfounded for two reasons:
    1.) Why does a carrier do this when their competition is beating the snot out of them on cost for data?
    2.) Why do users stay with them and not go to other carriers at these prices (assuming they want data access)?
    I think calling GPRS competition to EDGE is funny. It isn't even in the ball park to me. Sure you might get unlimited molasses slow data on T-Mobile, and take them up on the offer if you like, but telling me I can get unlimited GPRS is like telling me I can get unlimited 8 tack cassettes. EDGE is not even on the bleading edge anymore... I want UMTS already. In a years time, I will have UMTS too.

So my answer, beating the snot out of someone on price is not the same thing as beating the snot out of them on product.
    That makes more sense. The $25 mMode on UMTS. You just said $25 UMTS in your original message which is what confused me since I thought the $79 plan was all they had. Interesting .... do they even have the 2 phones they say are the only compatible phones to the service ?

I even wonder if they really could track the sim to the imei. Sounds like their blowing hot air .... or why wouldn't they do it across the board?

Quote Originally Posted by taylorh
    Try this page:
    Note this fine print:

You have a choice even though they may not WANT to give it to you. Just tell them you want to pay separately because you don't want your wife to see it. It takes about 10 steps more to create a separate bill and they're just too lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanner
    how'd U know!

nah...but they charge it to my bill THEN I pay that bill w/ the credit card...and if I were a CC company facing a claim like that, you can bet that I'd have lawyers ready to show that they do NOT have to cover my claim b/c I technically didn't buy the phone w/ my CC... see what I mean?
    Treonaughts also say it definately has 1.3MP camera and might possibly have double the memory of the 600!
    Treonaughts shills for P1.
    Quote Originally Posted by convbcuda
    My Atari 800 is all I really need. I still have the printer for it, too!
    I miss my Atari 800. I learned to program on it. Played games. Used my first modem with it. I ran a BBS, but you had call between 6pm and 9pm because it used our houses only phone line much to the chagrin of my parents.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    From this thread on HoFo: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...0&pagenumber=1 comes this Cingular rate information:

[Warning: it may be BS, (although the MW folder said it expired end of this month) but if your going to migrate or sign up new, do it before the change]

Quote Originally Posted by Cut & Paste from HoFo Thread
    ok i got the skinny on rates and such and this came from the same meeting...

all ft [family talk shared] lines 39.99-59.99 will be 19.99 each extra line

there will be a 69.99 rate plan that will have the 9.99 add a line
    the 79.99 will be vanishing...
    a 84.99 plan will appear though

the 59.99 will now have 900 anytime
    the 69.99 will have 1100
    and thew 84.99 will have 1500 anytime..

media works will change as well

it will be 3mb wix [data] 1000 txt and unlimited mms for 19.99 instead of unlimited wix [data] 1500 txt and 200 mms...

and also for 2.99 will only give you 50 sms instead of 100

hope this helps you all
    Now that would have been awesome to behold--an Apple-based PDA running Palm OS with iTunes & iPhoto integration. </sigh> If only...

You know it. I've had 2 PowerBooks and 2 iPods, and I've been happy with both. Perhaps I'm lucky.

Amen, brother
    I've had an Ipod

still d000
    On a Sprint Treo 650, it always get 110 - 119kbps which if I read the specs is at least as good as EDGE it costs $15 per month.

I would like for someone with real world experience with EDGE to post some experiences. My understanding is although you can talk about theortical maximums, in many cases EDGE is not going to be blinding faster than regular GPRS.

FYI, Cingular is charging that $39.99 whether you are using EDGE for not. So if your phone doesn't support EDGE then yes, T-Mobile is betting the snot out of them.

My point isn't that one carrier is better than another. It's that Cingular is gouging customers with this pricing, just like AT&T was gouging customers with their data pricing.

I think calling GPRS competition to EDGE is funny. It isn't even in the ball park to me. Sure you might get unlimited molasses slow data on T-Mobile, and take them up on the offer if you like, but telling me I can get unlimited GPRS is like telling me I can get unlimited 8 tack cassettes. EDGE is not even on the bleading edge anymore... I want UMTS already. In a years time, I will have UMTS too.

So my answer, beating the snot out of someone on price is not the same thing as beating the snot out of them on product.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    That makes more sense. The $25 mMode on UMTS. You just said $25 UMTS in your original message which is what confused me since I thought the $79 plan was all they had. Interesting .... do they even have the 2 phones they say are the only compatible phones to the service ?

I even wonder if they really could track the sim to the imei. Sounds like their blowing hot air .... or why wouldn't they do it across the board?
    They most likely are. They also say in the print that using it teathered will be chared per KB rates, and I don't see how they have any clue as to weather or not your using the data on your device or through a teather. Maybe the phone does a different kind of connetion when you use a teather mode. I agree, I think it's a lot of hot air.
    EDGE 175K or more with good signal. I already have posted speeds several times in this thread with a 4 slot EDGE device.

Just tested from my house with poor signal 129K/sec. Of course it could be slower. Give me some GPRS speeds if you think EDGE is so slight an improvement.

How are they gouging? Please. If you like cheap, go with cheap. Different prices are for different classes of service, your market may be different, but I think ATT was / is good in this market.
    I would test GPRS for you too, but I don't have a mobile to do it right now.