Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    OMG, i've been waiting for some people to use it with a Mac. I can't do squat with my PPC and my mac. And especially the clicker app, I thought it was only for sony ericson phones. But I'm sold now!
    If you or anyone you know has an Acura TL (or you live near a dealership_ will you please try to pair it and make sure it's compatable. Make sure the signal strength and battery show up in the cars display. Thanks for all the info!
    Finally, there is sanity...... thanks for the review, miradu.
    Very nice job. Glad to see a early review from a Mac user. Have u used Datebook5 or any iSilo files? I know from using a T5 that if a isilo file is saved to the sd card, it opens fine. But, to close the file takes an uncanny amount of time. I was wondring if the Treo 650 is the same. Again, great review
    Very cool thanks for the review miradu, I am crossing my fingers my Enterprise demo guy just told me we should have our 650's by the 15th. I hope he is right, he is double checking.
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    One of the coolest things is that after you pair the device, you can send files to the Treo with one click....
    ...Installing files could never be simpler than with bluetooth on a mac.
    Unless you have a Bluetooth phone made by anyone other than Palm. Then you would not have to set it up each time.
    Other companies make phones with proximity detection enabled and the connection is automatic. You don't have to "enable" the connection by clicking buttons on the computer, then the phone and then back to the computer. How stupid is that!?!!

At CTIA I never found the "small text" feature of Blazer 4.0, so all the webpages displayed in the same screen space as on the 600; hence my lack of enthusiasm for the new version. But I found it (under fonts, I'm an *****), AND WOW! Browseing the web is UNBELIEVEABLE on the 650 as compared to the 600. I put the two side by side while I loaded pages. In widepage mode, nytimes.com would fit in only two screens worth of scrolling. In optimized mode, everything was crisp, and there was a ton of info on. Plus it was fast.
    This is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Unless you have a Bluetooth phone made by anyone other than Palm. Then you would not have to set it up each time.
    Other companies make phones with proximity detection enabled and the connection is automatic. You don't have to "enable" the connection by clicking buttons on the computer, then the phone and then back to the computer. How stupid is that!?!!
    It's this minor concept called "Security" -- it's all the rage now.
    Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    It's this minor concept called "Security" -- it's all the rage now.
    I hope this comment is not serious and just making light of the subject in which case I can laugh, and I did.

Then I wondered If you were serious.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Actually, I understood the original post to say that once you have 'paired' the phone with your mac, you NEVER have to do anything but the one-click to transfer files. In other words, you just have to teach your mac and your phone to recognize each other once, then the recognition between them is automatic from that point forward. Maybe I'm misreading the original post, though.
    BAAAAAAAH!!!! I was just through convincing myself I could put off the purchase for a few months. Now this!! Stop being so enthused! :-)
    KRamsauer, don't get caught up in the insanity. Stick with your original plan. There are a number of us out here waiting for the GSM version. If you break, the LEVY will break.
  12.    #32  
    I'm out of power now, but I'll get a charger 8 am tommorow morning (Isn't FedEx wonderful?). Vibrate strength is stronger, but it's not like a huge leap.. Ringtones are louder also, but again, it's not a huge leap.

We need a primer on bluetooth for TreoCentral users; I'm sensing mass confusion over the profile thing for most people reading this thread.. will work on it.

I'm posting this quickly as I gotta run, but I'll get some more "deeper impressions" up later this week, and the full review is scheduled for sunday night (i can only hope to make that deadline..)
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    I'm out of power now, but I'll get a charger 8 am tommorow morning (Isn't FedEx wonderful?). Vibrate strength is stronger, but it's not like a huge leap.. Ringtones are louder also, but again, it's not a huge leap.

We need a primer on bluetooth for TreoCentral users; I'm sensing mass confusion over the profile thing for most people reading this thread.. will work on it.

I'm posting this quickly as I gotta run, but I'll get some more "deeper impressions" up later this week, and the full review is scheduled for sunday night (i can only hope to make that deadline..)
    Yes, thank you. Bluetooth FAQ is exactly what I need.
    FWIW, as a Tapwave Zodiac owner let me assure you that the Palm OS does just fine with Bluetooth. It may not be as simple as it ought to be to pair things initially, but once you've paired trusted devices, subsequent pairing is a non-issue. On my Zodiac, I push the dedicated hard button to turn on Bluetooth, fire up an email app or web browser, and it connects to my Sprint Sony-Ericsson T608 without any special effort on my part.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Yes, it seems as though people won't take my word for what Bluetooth is capable of and not capable of on Palm units. So perhaps someone, like yourself, with known credentials will be able to educate.

You had talked briefly about transfering files to the phone via Bluetooth but I am assuming you are not able to browse the Palm device(Treo 650) and copy files back to the Mac due to Palm limiting Bluetooth in almost every other way possible (I don't know if you have access to a list of profiles but maybe look for "OBEX File Transfer").

**Addition: my desire and reasoning for this kind of file transfer makes it more important to me than the one Palm included(assuming again they just allow one way transfer). The Treo is a mobile device. You go mobile with it and collect all sorts of data, like maybe photos. Then you come back home and need to pull off one particular image. How do you find it? If you can find it, can you transfer it to a Mac. I ask because other phones will let you do this.**

I hate to take hold such a pessimistic assumption, but lately Palm has done nothing but disappoint me.
    Last edited by archie; 11/09/2004 at 12:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    FWIW, as a Tapwave Zodiac owner let me assure you that the Palm OS does just fine with Bluetooth. It may not be as simple as it ought to be to pair things initially, but once you've paired trusted devices, subsequent pairing is a non-issue. On my Zodiac, I push the dedicated hard button to turn on Bluetooth, fire up an email app or web browser, and it connects to my Sprint Sony-Ericsson T608 without any special effort on my part.

Scott
    Case and Point.

Zodiac to Sony-Ericsson.

But try connecting from a Mac to a Palm unit.
    Micheal, can you please install the J2ME on the Ace. I would like to know how Reqwireless's Webviewer functions on the 650. Thanks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Interesting--I just put that app on my 600 this evening and it's neat--quite fast. I was wondering the exact same thing about the 650. WebViewer + EDGE would be dynamite!

Todd/Indy

We are on the edge of our seats. Please share more when you can.

Slurp, Slurp (pardon the drool)
    Quote Originally Posted by treosome
    Yes, thank you. Bluetooth FAQ is exactly what I need.
    Yes, someone please explain BT DUN . I've seen two different explanations: 1) The treo provides the internet connection, and data is viewed on a browser on another piece of hardware (laptop, PDA, etc) or 2) the internet connection is provided by a computer on a landline, and the treo is the browser client. I think I would prefer 2) because the landline is typically cheaper.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast