1.    #1  
    do these exist, since cdma versions exist?
    no such thing.

CDMA = Captive Device Mucho Annoying
    Actually, you can get other CDMA carriers to activate Sprint phones if you talk to the right people. The Sprint system will only let Sprint be activated on their network though. I've actually heard of someone altering the ESN (although I have no clue how) of a Virgin Mobile slider to work on Sprint, but Virgin Mobile actually uses Sprint's towers.
    hacks do not count.

no one does it reliably.

been there, tried that.

if sprint and verizon really wanted to beat gsm, they would support sim cards
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    hacks do not count.

no one does it reliably.

been there, tried that.

if sprint and verizon really wanted to beat gsm, they would support sim cards
    Talking with a Sprint National Sales Manager, Sprint is going to do just that!!!.....well, sort of.

This apparently has been in the works for sometime now, but it will be IP based instead of card based. They actually planned ahead way back when they first started assigning account names with the hopes of doing exactly what they doing right now. Each account is assigned an account name (first initial, last name, and number if needed)., i.e. for Calvin A. Hobbes it would be Chobbes12@sprintpcs.com .

Now instead of switching a sim card, you only have to assign your account name to a phone. So for example, if you are on a business trip and you forgot your charger and your friend, who happens to live in the city you are visiting, doesn't really need his phone that much while you are there let's you borrow his phone. You simply then go to preferences and assign your account name to it......use it while you are town.....and give it back to him when you are done....he assigns his account name back through the preferences. All without having to call Sprint call center to switch ESNs. Now I may not have all the tech details of process, but that is jest of it.

This means that sincy your account is IP based, it inheritently becomes a virtual sim card that will work with ANY phone on the Sprint Network.

If I understood him right this is possible because of the CDMA network, and that the GSM network is tethered to the physical card.

They have been working on this for a while now, and has not been released yet. I think that they plan on making this available within the next 12 months of so.
    not the same as the SIM at all.

I see little advantage to this, except for avoiding a call to cust. svc.

They could web enable this today and achieve the same effect.
    no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    not the same as the SIM at all.

I see little advantage to this, except for avoiding a call to cust. svc.

They could web enable this today and achieve the same effect.
    no big deal.
    I have never been on GSM, so I must misunderstand the value of a Sim Card. I thought that the value of a Sim card was that it was assigned to your account so that you could you pop into any phone you wanted to use for whatever reason....
    lol...
    Sprint is beating GSM as far as treos go!!! But what will kill everything is if Sprint and Verizon got together...
    I'm with you Hobbes. Never used GSM either. Always had Sprint, and to me, they've always been the innovators here in the US. While GSM is a giant step above the TDMA crap Cingular and ATT used to have, I think CDMA EV-DV will be the best service out there, and Sprint will have it first.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    lol...
    Sprint is beating GSM as far as treos go!!! But what will kill everything is if Sprint and Verizon got together...
    No, what will kill everything is if Sprint/P1 don't activate the BT DUN profile after all, or charge an arm and a leg for a data plan to do it. Glad I'm not in that boat anymore...

Todd/Indy
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    I'm with you Hobbes. Never used GSM either. Always had Sprint, and to me, they've always been the innovators here in the US. While GSM is a giant step above the TDMA crap Cingular and ATT used to have, I think CDMA EV-DV will be the best service out there, and Sprint will have it first.
    EVDV is going to be HUGE!!!!!!! Broadband speed WITH voice!!!!! The deployment of EVDO (Data Only) is really nothing but the first step to EVDV (Digital / Voice). From what I've read EVDV should be deployed in a roll out between 2006-2007. This is really what I have been waiting for!

As I said earlier, I am by far no GSM expert, but the main advantage I see with GSM is international coverage. But from the specs I have seen, it is really slow for data. I do not know, is GSM rolling out a response to EVDV or is it going to be phased out and replaced with something totally new? If so, what and when? I would hope so because if it doesn't have a response to EVDV then GSM is going to facing some very challenging times in the next couple years.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 11/08/2004 at 03:01 AM.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    UMTS, is the response to EVDV. It will be the first 3G network on GSM. I do not know the exact specs, but I think it compares more to EVDO than it does EVDV.