1.    #1  
    I e-mailed PalmOne (which i do about every other day now in the hope some CSR will throw me a bone...) and got this reply:

Dear Sam:

Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. My name is Ralph and I will be assisting your inquiry on when you will be able to get an unlock GMS Treo™ 650.

As of the moment, we do not have any information to the exact date for the official release of Treo 650. But reset assured that palmOne would have the product released before the end of this year .

We hope this issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. If you have any other questions or issues, please do not hesitate to email us again. You can also find troubleshooting articles and frequently asked questions at:
    blah blah blah...

Aside from the frighteningly poor spelling and grammar (GMS, reset!?) this is very encouraging.

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by samzerb
    Thoughts?
    The CDMA TREO 650 has been "released" for a month or so.

Got TREO?
    I was wondering, if I buy an unlocked Treo 650, will it remain unlocked forever? The thing is, I have a contract with Fido (in Canada), but I might have to change to Rogers (the 2 companies are merging)... I don't want my brand new Treo to be uncompatible once the merger is concluded....
    No worries, qdtrinh, an unlocked GSM phone will remain unlocked no matter which SIM cards you use it with. It should work with both Fido and later Rogers without any problems.

/duckman
    Philips PR95 (NMT) > Nokia 232 (AMPS) > Nokia 5190 & 5110 (GSM) > Ericsson R520m (unlocked GSM) > Treo 650 (unlocked GSM) on Fido
    blah blah blah
    i still want my treo 650
    I just got 5-8 week email from Vienna channels GSM. Would hit my, already posted, Jan 10 predictioin perfectly.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I just got 5-8 week email from Vienna channels GSM. Would hit my, already posted, Jan 10 predictioin perfectly.
    Huh? I thought it was a "2-5 week" mail!

That window sure is sliding, eh?
    RESET ASSURED!

Talk about a Freudian slip or maybe a bad omen!
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd
    RESET ASSURED!

Talk about a Freudian slip or maybe a bad omen!
    Nah, PalmOne explicitly mentions this in their Annual Report!
    The TREO 650 oughta be a fun one, too:

== "...Products and services as sophisticated as ours are likely to
    == contain undetected errors or defects, especially when first
    == introduced or when new models or versions are released..."

Should make TreoCentral's forums a hopping place!
    -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...7&postcount=14
    I couldn't wait. I bought a TMo GSM 600 on Saturday.

It's awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by qdtrinh
    I was wondering, if I buy an unlocked Treo 650, will it remain unlocked forever? The thing is, I have a contract with Fido (in Canada), but I might have to change to Rogers (the 2 companies are merging)... I don't want my brand new Treo to be uncompatible once the merger is concluded....
    I did not hear of a merger wirth Rogers yet, but I am sure that we, Fido customers, will be screwed by Rogers on pricing if they merge, but they can't do anything about unlocked phones. All unlocked GSM phones work with either Fido or Rogers. They will continue working and stay uncloked. Only phones purchased directly from Fido or Rogers or other carriers are usually locked.

Beside the pricing, it seems that GSM customers get 2nd class citizen treatment from PalmOne, compared to Sprint custromers and what about the wait for upgrade pricing for unbranded, unlocked phones. I had to wait about 6 months to get the Treo 600 as an upgrade from the 270.There will probably be a new model announced and the 650 discontinued by the time we'll get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Huh? I thought it was a "2-5 week" mail!

That window sure is sliding, eh?
    The Sprint email is 2-5 the GSM email is 5 - 8 weeks from what I have been reading.