Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Popped into the local Best Buy yesterday to see if there was any 650 word. It's scary the type of information that some salespeople can give out to customers:

I didn't even see the 600 on display, so I ask the salesguy about that first. He says they didn't have it because it was "just discontinued."

"From Sprint? Verizon?" I asked.

"From everyone."

Was it because they were getting the 650 in soon?

"They're coming out with the 650, 680, and 690, all at the same time." He seemed to rattle off model numbers in a way that if you didn't stop him, he would have gotten to 700 or 800 next. "You can't get the 600 anywhere. They pulled them off the shelves."

"Really."

He proceeds to reach into a drawer and pull out a 600. "The 600...this is the one you asked about right?" (Yes.)

"They don't make them anymore." When I asked when the 650 will be in store, he replies, "in a week."

As I walk away he says, "That's that one with a pull-out keyboard, right?"

So I went to a TMobile store and immediately bought a 600 which wasn't supposed to exist.
    Ahhhhhh......you have to give the guy a break....he is most likely making $7.50/hour working at a job he really doesn't want to be doing. But hey, it pays the bills for him. These guys working for BB or any other store are not engineers or product developers...yes, you are correct, they should know more, but that would mean that BB would have to do a better job of training them. Don't think that is going to happen, but it is not the salesperson's fault.

I can understand you frustration though.
    I've had the salesmen at both Sprint and ATT ask me what the difference between the 600 and 650 is, and the Tmobile guy said that the 650 was just another label for the 600, rediculous. The local Sprint store didn't even carry PDA phones. At least the Verizon guy new a tiny bit.
  4. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I stopped into a new Best Buy that just opened in my town on Nov 5 to ask about the 650. The sales person had a least heard of the 650. He pointed to an empty display stand at the end of the Sprint display and said "The 650 is supposed to go here". When I asked him when they would get it he said that the Sprint rep would have to come in first to do training and that she was coming in on Monday. I will stop in mid-week and see if anything happened.

Also, right down the street from Best Buy is a new Office Depot that opened about a month ago. They had the 600 on display with a note "Sorry this unit is not in stock at this location". I didn't know that Office Depot even handled the 600. The older Office Depot on the other side of town has never had it or displayed it.
    Just like any job, sometimes you get people who are knowledgable and sometimes you don't. I was in a Verizon store the other day and I had a conversation with one of the sales guys on the floor and he knew a lot about all the new stuff coming out, even GSM phones (he was hot for the Motorola Razor phone, but it doesn't look like its going to have a CDMA version, just GSM). It's the luck of the draw.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    I stopped into a new Best Buy that just opened in my town on Nov 5 to ask about the 650. The sales person had a least heard of the 650. He pointed to an empty display stand at the end of the Sprint display and said "The 650 is supposed to go here". When I asked him when they would get it he said that the Sprint rep would have to come in first to do training and that she was coming in on Monday. I will stop in mid-week and see if anything happened.

Also, right down the street from Best Buy is a new Office Depot that opened about a month ago. They had the 600 on display with a note "Sorry this unit is not in stock at this location". I didn't know that Office Depot even handled the 600. The older Office Depot on the other side of town has never had it or displayed it.
    Any chance your in Rocky Mount? But I thought the Best Buy opened on the 8th.
  7. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bnishida
    Any chance your in Rocky Mount? But I thought the Best Buy opened on the 8th.
    Yes, I am. It opened on the 5th
    I also stopped by a Best Buy (I needed an extension cord) and asked about the 650 and when it would come out. The CSR had no clue...but when I asked where the extension cords were, he also said they didn't have those. So I found them myself, bought one and left disgusted.
    I work at Best Buy and I am proud of my job. I am the in charge of computers department and I think that just like any job you have people who are knowledgable and others who are not. I know my department so I am confident in myself and my crew.
    On antoher note I already posted that the TREO 650 is coming to Best Buy stores on November 15. November 14 is the day it enters the store and it should be on sale on the 15th. Now this is for my store in San Antonio, TX. It could be the same for others but not all. I have been checking our inventory system everyday. By the way for those are making fun of Best Buy employees I will have you know that when the 650 comes out it will be 649.99 for you guys and 502.99 for Best Buy employees.
    "Could I have been anyone other than me"
    -Dave Matthews Band"
    Quote Originally Posted by ferminsaldana
    I work at Best Buy and I am proud of my job. I am the in charge of computers department and I think that just like any job you have people who are knowledgable and others who are not. I know my department so I am confident in myself and my crew.
    On antoher note I already posted that the TREO 650 is coming to Best Buy stores on November 15. November 14 is the day it enters the store and it should be on sale on the 15th. Now this is for my store in San Antonio, TX. It could be the same for others but not all. I have been checking our inventory system everyday. By the way for those are making fun of Best Buy employees I will have you know that when the 650 comes out it will be 649.99 for you guys and 502.99 for Best Buy employees.
    and I will get mine for $350 because I went to the road show!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I recently started working at Best Buy in the Wireless Dept (one of the people in the white "team wireless" shirts). If you come into my store I will actually know what the Treo is.

Anyway,
    as far as us know everything about every cell phone and wireless provider...

We have 40 + cell phones and up to 5 providers in each store, with new models coming every month or so. Not to mention providers changing their plans and promotions frequently (getting Cingular next weekend and have to learn about all their phones and services the day before the roll out!!)

Before working there I'd go in as a shopper (and other stores) and most people knew the bare minimum on most of the phones.

If I can't answer a question about a phone I won't feed you BS, I'll pull the box out and see if I can find the info you need.

We don't work on commission so we won't try to sell you something for the sake of a sale.

Shoppers looking for a Treo or high end phone are like most of us and have already done our research before we go shopping for one.

The iPods are in the Wireless Dept too. Now those I can talk your ear off about!

side note
    I was laid off over 2 years ago and have yet to find a full time job. This job is paying the bills and letting me keep my vehicle. However I now only make 1/2 the hourly wage and work 1/2 the hours I used to. The last time I worked retail was in the 1980s. Um Yeah, sure the economy is strong.
    Last edited by bibojim; 11/08/2004 at 01:14 AM.
    Best Buy guy. Good comments. You are right, some know a lot, some don't know jack. The people in this chat thread are highly technical and not the typical consumer. I can tell you that I have had the Samsung I300, I330, Treo 600, and now pushing for the 650 and in EVERY case, because I/we are so ahead of the curve, I have always known more about Sprints phone than any sprint rep ever does. I find myself teaching them about their own phones. So I think it is really just a different philsophy. They go to work, sell phones, go home and forget about them and have no clue in most cases of the new phones until it hits their store.
    I intend to go to Best Buy and purchase mine for $649.99 (no tax in Deleware because I get to see it, touch it, feel it. There is a lot of talk about these coupons. I sure hope that people are not paying $250 for some plane ticket to get a coupon for $350.
    If you can get a good deal though, I say scoop it up.
    Eric
  13. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Best Buy guy. Good comments. You are right, some know a lot, some don't know jack. The people in this chat thread are highly technical and not the typical consumer. I can tell you that I have had the Samsung I300, I330, Treo 600, and now pushing for the 650 and in EVERY case, because I/we are so ahead of the curve, I have always known more about Sprints phone than any sprint rep ever does. I find myself teaching them about their own phones. So I think it is really just a different philsophy. They go to work, sell phones, go home and forget about them and have no clue in most cases of the new phones until it hits their store.
    I intend to go to Best Buy and purchase mine for $649.99 (no tax in Deleware because I get to see it, touch it, feel it. There is a lot of talk about these coupons. I sure hope that people are not paying $250 for some plane ticket to get a coupon for $350.
    If you can get a good deal though, I say scoop it up.
    Eric
    Why would you pay $649.99 when you can get it on the Palm One web site for 599.00
    Hub,
    My guess is that off that web site, there are two things. One, probably sales tax, making it what - say $620 or more, plus shipping, plus waiting. Just a preference my man.
    Eric
    I will have you know that when the 650 comes out it will be 649.99 for you guys and 502.99 for Best Buy employees.
    Who gives a ****? That's really showing your age. "Nannny nanny boo boo we can buy it for 502-oooo" how many of the best buy people making whatever they make are actually going to spend 500.00 on a cell phone anyway ? I'm guessing not many - but still, who cares? The purpose of this forum is to get information about the 650, release dates, etc.. bragging about how you get an employee discount isn't really adding to the conversation.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    By the way for those are making fun of Best Buy employees I will have you know that when the 650 comes out it will be 649.99 for you guys and 502.99 for Best Buy employees.
    well after my 150 dollar sprint rebate, mine will be 499.99 !!
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I would work at Best Buy just for the discount. I would still have to keep my other job, but I could swing both.

What is the minimum hours you have to work a week?
    By the way for those are making fun of Best Buy employees I will have you know that when the 650 comes out it will be 649.99 for you guys and 502.99 for Best Buy employees.
    If you'd remained civil I wouldn't take a jab, but you made a snide comment so it's on:

You'd have to offer me a lot more than that to get me to work at BB. I'd have to be pretty hard up before I'd work there. I'm sure there are a few decent folks at BB, but most of the salespeople are just punks so eager to appear educated that they make stuff up on the fly.

Salespeople there don't make commission and you love to push that point, but you are paid spiffs and your job hinges on volume and upsells. It might not technically be commission but for all practical purposes it might as well be since you have to sell stuff to keep your job and the people who sell more make more money. There's a reason the punks push the extended warranties and worthless Monster Cable there and it ain't a burning desire to be helpful.

For sophisticated consumers like most of us here a Best Buy employee is simply an annoyance who stands between us and the thing we want to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    I would work at Best Buy just for the discount. I would still have to keep my other job, but I could swing both.
    You gotta be kidding. Nearly everything there can be had a lot cheaper on the Internet, not to mention BB probably doesn't pay well. Instead of working more hours just to get a discount, how about looking to find a better job that pays more or better yet improving yourself to be able to work in better paying fields? You're approcahing your problems backward.

Even if you have no marketable skills in the traditional sense you can still easily make the equivalent of $50K a year waiting tables or tending bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by hub
    Why would you pay $649.99 when you can get it on the Palm One web site for 599.00

Since when are Best Buy prices above Sprint or PalmOne prices?

Are you sure it's $649? More likely $599.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast