1.    #1  
    OK, I've read all of the (mostly outdated) threads on related topics, but here are my questions: (1) should I buy a GPS system for my treo; (2) if so, what system: (3) where do i get it? I'm trying to decide whether to get a stand-alone GPS system or one that attaches to my treo.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  2. ISA
    To run a map view at an 160 X 160 screen is not a good idea. I would like suggest you to wait for Treo 650 and purchase a bluetooth GPS receiver like Holux GPS-GR231 that will be cool...
    Hi,

I've got a GPS Mouse for the Treo and it really is excellent

I don't care one hoot about the Map view (although it is surprisingly good for 160x160 resolution) as I never use it - I want directions read out to me. Adding GPS to the Treo means I've always got the device with me and don't have yet another box to carry around. I connect the headphone socket of the Treo to my Line In on my car stereo (usually used for iPod listening) so I can hear the directions.

The looks I get when I pull up at a junction and people hear a L-O-U-D D-A-L-E-K V-O-I-C-E instructing me where to go is hilarious - oh the joys of having a convertible

I'm using a HAiCOM GPS Mouse with Mapopolis beta software. The software is rather buggy so can cause reset issues on the Treo, but once working it works extremely well - especially the (essential in my opinion) ability to load maps dynamically from the memory card.
    Do you guys have problems receiving calls, pushed mail or sms's while you are using the GPS? I would really like to Sell my Magellan but I am afraid of what it might be like driving somewhere and getting a call in the middle of a LA clover leaf.
    Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter
    OK, I've read all of the (mostly outdated) threads on related topics, but here are my questions: (1) should I buy a GPS system for my treo;
    The answer depends upon how often you would use it and where. I was spending $300 per year on "Never Lost" in Hertz cars. I did not want to carry another device. Simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Do you guys have problems receiving calls, pushed mail or sms's while you are using the GPS? I would really like to Sell my Magellan but I am afraid of what it might be like driving somewhere and getting a call in the middle of a LA clover leaf.
    I must admit this isn't something I can answer - I've never taken a call whilst driving, for two reasons:

1) It is illegal in the UK (unless you use a hands free kit and the lack of Bluetooth on the Treo rules that out for me.)

2) My car's engine is so astronomically noisy (in a good way! ) that I cannot even hear the phone ring, let alone have a conversation whilst driving - think of it as a safety measure (especially in light of the fact I need 100% concentration as my car is constantly trying to kill me).
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I do not have any problems receiving calls. However, receiving calls may cause me to have to restart the Mapopolis application. Calls take precedence; that may be a problem when a turn is coming up. Not enough of a problem to cause me to want to use a separate device.
    that was a problem for me. I did not like when I received a call to cut it short so I would not get lost in a new town. I loved converged devices....but a phone/gps/pda in one did not work for me. Bought a garmin to use as my gps.
    I want a gps thingie as well...... the seido car kit which is the newest with the gps bundle which gps to take and what version of mapopolis works the map from card.......
    I've got it. I was going to wait for bluetooth with the 650 because the 600 requires tethered gps antenna. I broke down and got mapopolis with the tethered gps and it's great. despite resolution limitation it really is excellent. it charges treo while it's being used so no issues there. It came with pspeak so it can tell you directions via audio. The only limitation is ram. maps take up ram and so i keep them on sd card but no matter what, it has to import them into onboard ram to use them. But, the software is good; it asks if you would like to remove them from treo ram after you shut down mapopolis. so you still need enough free ram for the maps but you don't have to actually keep them in the ram all the time. only while using it. Also, it's very easy to use. you can navigate by current gps location, specific addresses, pointing to something on the map, or even by landmark. it knows hospitals, airports, etc. It will be nicer when we can all order the belkin bluetooth module for the 650 but that one requres charging the removable battery whereas this runs off the lighter.
    just my 2cents
    I've used my Treo 600 with a Haicom receiver and Mapopolis for quite while now. It always works great. I recommend getting a fast SD card such as the Sandisk Ultra II which speeds things such as rerouting up when running maps off the card. I also follow Mapopolis' instructions to turn off 'hacks' and e-mail retrieval. Obviously there is a practical limitation when attempting to using the phone at the same time. To answer the phone you have to get out of Mapopolis. It has a setting to reroute automatically when you start it back up but if you expect to receive and answer a lot of calls on the road you may need another device. I don't have this concern and I find it to be a very practical and cost effective solution to navigation. My only problem is getting people to stop giving me directions!
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^