1.    #1  
    Two of the biggest concerns to me about buying the 650 is losing my phone or having it stolen. I believe I've read that Sprint has insurance that will protect in case of a stolen unit. Is this correct, and do other carriers offer this? Can anyone share costs of this?

I'm a current Palm user and aware of programs like TealLock. What's the best security software that renders the Treo useless (hopefully even after a hard reset)? Thanks.
    Sprint insurance is through a third party (lockline). I think that this is avaialable from other carriers as well.

If you have a CDMA phone (sprint verizon) and you report the phone stolen than it cannot be used (as a phone at least), the esn is blacklisted.

If you have a gsm phone I suppose that a new sim card can be inserted and the thief would be up and running in no time.
    How bout the security concerns of someone sucking the brains out of it through bluetooth? I had read an article that said there was a hole in bluetooth where some devices could be coaxed to transmit all their data without the owner even knowing
    Quote Originally Posted by IamVincent
    How bout the security concerns of someone sucking the brains out of it through bluetooth? I had read an article that said there was a hole in bluetooth where some devices could be coaxed to transmit all their data without the owner even knowing
    I have researched that work. The vulnerability is not in BT; it is common to IRDA. It is in the implementation of the object exchange (synchronization and beaming) protocol. It appears in a number of early Nokia products and may appear in other products sharing the code. Nokia products now shipping are not vulnerable.

While it is possible, it seems unlikely that a Palm OS 5.0 product would share this vulnerability with an old Nokia product.

If you would like a copy of my paper, send me a private message.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Is the built-in security feature in the Treo 650 any better (more secure) than with the Treo 600? In the past I've used various third party security programs such as Teallock and Onlyme, but if the built-in security program is good, I'll just stick with that.
    Pretty much the same. I opted to stick with TealLock.
    MRL-MO
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mlemke
    Pretty much the same. I opted to stick with TealLock.
    I decided to use Teallock, too. The built-in security application doesn't seem strong enough, especially since it doesn't automatically engage after a reset.