Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This originally was a long essay that no one would read so I am going to cut to the chase.

I have been with Handspring since the first phone. They used to be customer based and built around the customer. I am convinced that Sprint has positioned itself, now with 50% of the Treo market by the polls on this board, in a place it is now dictating to P1 what it can and cannot put on phones.

This is the reason we don't have 1.3mp (Bandwidth issued)
    This is the reason we don't have Wifi (Loss of revenue)
    And I am sure the Bluetooth was a battle that was compromised

Where as the other new phones on the market are not yet in that kind of a position with any one carrier. Sprint has become so deeply a part of Sprint's market that they are calling the shots. So now when P1 wants to put a 1.3mp camera on a phone, Sprint says fine, but we won't carry it. Ok then we will put a 1.3 on the GSM and leave the .3 for Sprint, they say no way.

I am not whining about the camera or the wifi or the whatever. Now we have obvious major contender bullying P1 into designing phones which meets Sprints needs more that it meets the needs of it's customers. Not anyone's fault, Palm is selling phones, Sprint is getting what they want, customers choices are narrowing.

I don't know about your markets, but Sprint came in SoCal whoring itself with dirt cheap prices adn terrible service. Now the prices have risen, the phone service improved (still add on features are iffy). And they are now the big Walmart with whom we will no longer have cutting edge, we will be stuck with Walmart mediocre. And yes I am buying a 650 (But I don't shop at Walmart)
    You couldn't be more off-course.

Why would they force P1 to abandon plans for a 1.3 MP T650 camera when they were the first domestic carrier to offer a phone with a 1.3 MP camera (Audiovox 8920)? Furthermore, they now have multimedia phones that have 1.3 MP cameras with video clip recording features, so it's obviously not the bandwith issue.

I think many people are forgetting that BT and WiFi (2.4 GHz anyway) interfere with one another. The primary use for the T650 is still a phone, isn't it? People have more use for BT as an accessory enhancer for phones than they would WiFi.

Here's my theory: P1 didn't change all that much about the T650 and will start from scratch with their next unit. We'll see a T900 next year around Christmas, with EV-DO on the Sprint and Verizon units and EDGE on the GSM version. Hell, they may even throw in 5.8 GHz WiFi if that becomes more widespread.
  3.    #3  
    I hope I am wrong but why would the new PPC-6600 SPrint version come Bluetooth disabled and without WiFi, unlike it's counter part?
    I'm glad someone pointed that out. Even if your claims about Sprint's "bullying" were true, guess what? They paid for a major chunk of every Treo developed since the 300! I would HOPE they get a say in what does and does not go into the phone. Also, as far as most people are concerned Fuhrman is right. Bluetooth is a more desirable feature than Wi-Fi. Granted many people have made a strong case for why they needed wi-fi, but to me none of it has really made me think "Oh, okay. Yeah I wouldn't want to live without that either". Surfing the web in the living room on MY network? Why? Data rates are so cheap I surf from my house all the time. Don't need to have my own network to save $15 a month. These are the same people who whine because they can't stay on the $19.99 unlimited minute plan that some moron CSR put them on five years ago, AND get a mail-in rebate for their upgrade. It's the same people who claim carriers are "unfair" and "uncaring" because they give incentives to new customers, and make the "loyal" existing customers pay. In other words, from what I can tell, the people shouting from the mountaintop about wi-fi are the cheap bastards! *GASP* A wireless company that wants to make MONEY from it's higher end customers? NO WAY! They should be destroyed. Grow up people. The damn thing doesn't have wi-fi. Get over it.
    NEXT TOPIC?
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    I just ordered Sprint's PPC 6601. It has Bluetooth, no Wifi
    Your arguments are inconsistent. In one case you say they want to restrict vision use (pixel count on the camera) and in the other you're saying they are trying to promote vision use (using wifi doesn't use vision).
    The real issue behind no wi-fi is the power requirements.

Nothing more or less.

Conspiracy nuts go home.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Did someone say wifi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Did someone say wifi?
    Hey mods, can you guys lump all these wi-fi threads into one? Sooner or later it will get so bit, no one will read them and they will fall to page whatever ...

Just keep adding the new ones to the long SINGLE wi-fi thread.
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  10.    #10  
    This was started as a Wifi Thread it was about SPrint and their influence on Palm One. I don't care about WiFi, I stated that before.
    The CDMA HTC Harrier phone that Audiovox rebranded as the PPC6000 never had wifi, sprint didn't get a say in that at all. Aside from that at least the ppc6600 will support sd wifi cards which is more than what is being said about the 650. . . which is a shame.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Suppose I should tag on that I feel that sprint should have a say as well. They are selling these phones to customers that I would wager that Sprint has done far more morketing research on than the phone manufacturers.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

uh, what's wrong with walmart?

he makes that statement as if walmart is BAD or something
    Quote Originally Posted by megaphone
    uh, what's wrong with walmart?

he makes that statement as if walmart is BAD or something
    I agree, walmart has made evrything affordable. . . I admit it is hard to compete with walmart, and Walmart's business department is as sharp as a tack. But they do fight for the customer, like their current bought with the recording industry to make their audio cds cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    I think many people are forgetting that BT and WiFi (2.4 GHz anyway) interfere with one another.

That's not an issue anymore. HP / Compaq has been equipping their iPaqs with both bluetooth AND wifi for some time now.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    That's not an issue anymore. HP / Compaq has been equipping their iPaqs with both bluetooth AND wifi for some time now.
    Then the iPaqs disable BT when WiFi is working. Some company just recently developed a WiFi/Bluetooth solution were the WiFi radio was timed to transmit around the signature BT data bursts.

Man, none of this crap would be an issue if they (the powers that be) would have used the 5.8 GHz band initially for WiFi. There would be a LOT LESS interference issues.
    I believe the mention of Walmart could be in refrence to the "my way or the highway" stance they take with many of their suppliers. I would not compare the Sprint/P1 relationship this way at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    I agree, walmart has made evrything affordable. . . I admit it is hard to compete with walmart, and Walmart's business department is as sharp as a tack. But they do fight for the customer, like their current bought with the recording industry to make their audio cds cheaper.
    That wasnt for the consumer...thats to get more traffic in the store. CC and BB pull the same thing with CD prices.

Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    I believe the mention of Walmart could be in refrence to the "my way or the highway" stance they take with many of their suppliers. I would not compare the Sprint/P1 relationship this way at all.
    Exactly...Walmart has in the past forced the RIAA to edit CD's for them. CD's you get from walmart are not always the same as the general release.
    Wal-Mart and Sprint are absolutely nothing alike.

If you need me to expand, I'll be glad to, but you have to be smoking some strong ganja to think the two companies are anything alike.
    Did anyone catch the South Park episode about "Wall-Mart"?

I do have to say this though. I don't know what everyone is complaining about with the 1MP cameras. I have one on my Verizon V710. You know what? It and just about every camera on every cell phone or PDA sucks. If the Treo had a 1MP camera, it would just simply be sucking at a higher resolution
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast