Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    If you had the opportunity to visit the road show; did you notice how bright the keys are.
    Do you think we will see this becoming a Flame in the future? If you go to the movies with a call on the 50 that keyboard will definitely stand out. It will be a great safety tool if you have a flat on a dark road. However you may cause a airplane to land near you.
    Last edited by g.711; 11/06/2004 at 05:54 AM.
    no offense, and you may be correct, but that has to be the biggest example of 'damned if you do and damned if you don't' i've ever seen posted. maybe next we could discuss the DISADVANTAGES of them putting wi-fi in the next treo...

but practically speaking, maybe it's adjustable or someone can create a hack for it?
    Last edited by aarons12; 11/06/2004 at 06:57 AM.
    Change is a challenge to the adventurous, an opportunity to the alert, a threat to the insecure.
    The 600s keys are hard to see.. even impossible in a dark situation.

Why worry about the keyboard when the screen will be brighter in a movie theatre anyway.

Not only that someone with a cheap nokia handset will be just as annoying when the light on their phone is on...
    You should be watching a moive in the theater, no disturbing anyone with a phone. Even if there were no lights, it's still rude. Walk to the corridor or outside of the theater room it's self. Then the keys are not too bright, nor are you disturbing anyone.

Just my 2-cents, I couldn't put this in a better way, sorry to sound so rude..
    I agree with Burkhardi
    I agree with g.711. I think they're way too bright. The purpose of a backlit keyboard should be to give you just enough light to see what you need to see. No more, no less. Certainly not a deal-breaker, though. In a year, palmOne will release a new model that fixes this issue. They'll tout it as the Treo that the Treo 650 should have been.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Why not just use BrightCam ?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    Geesh! I didn't mean to get Flamed, I just was looking for an Opinion and you know opinions are like...
    This was something I noticed in the road show.
    Once this gets into everyones hand I predict this will be and issue. Unless you can turn it down.
    It is not a complaint... just an observation.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    If you had the opportunity to visit the road show; did you notice how bright the keys are.
    Do you think we will see this becoming a Flame in the future? If you go to the movies with a call on the 50 that keyboard will definitely stand out. It will be a great safety tool if you have a flat on a dark road. However you may cause a airplane to land near you.
    Like I said before.

"Even If PalmOne Gave Away Treo 650's For Free, With a $10 bill Wrapped Around It, People Would Still Complain."
    Please stop with the negative 10 dollar Treo 650's. It's simply not true. g.711 brings up good constructive criticism. Not everything is a big complaint, but a way for Palm to make the next version better or point out an opposing view.
    wouldn't it be possible to have a brightness adjustment? mabye hi/low/off for the backlighting.
    I have never noticed a problem seeing the keys of a 600 dark or light. hmm
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    someone already mentioned this but everyone keeps saying other stuff.
    use Brightcam or one of the other apps that use the treos camera to adjust both key brightness and screen brightness based on ambient room light.
    How do you know BrightCam or something like it could work? Do we know if the keyboard backlight is adjustable?
    Perhaps it was a good constructive criticism, but the example was poor. Like a speakerphone beef about beeing too loud to use in church (for example).

Anyway, if it were dimmer, I suspect that when the ambient light is just dim enough not to make out the silk screen on the keys, then a not to bright backlite keyboard would be little to no use.

Why can't Palm make a veriable backlighting system. even Brightcam is off on on, right?

I have not seen the 650, so I don't really know for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by g.711
    Geesh! I didn't mean to get Flamed, I just was looking for an Opinion and you know opinions are like...
    This was something I noticed in the road show.
    Once this gets into everyones hand I predict this will be and issue. Unless you can turn it down.
    It is not a complaint... just an observation.
    You ought to know better than to post opinions or questions. If you can't say anything great and loving about the latest and greatest Treo that you have seen and the rest of us have just imagined, please refrain.
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    I think this thread is completely valid. I have haf many of my corporate customers complain about the sceen being to bright at night. Even some saying its dangerous in a car at night (I never thought it was a big deal, but it is to many people). Hopefully palm1 put some sort of autodetect system to adjust for night. Many phones already do this.
    at dallas show (i was in the back of the room) the speakers keys got my attn.

later I played w/ one and another guy (tcer) and I noted its brightness. my one concern is at nite when I read in bed it will blind me if I can't dim it, I recall keys are brighter than screen.
    At least oneof the early reviews said the screen is adjustable over a much greater range, both brighter AND dimmer, than before. I doubt even Palm is dumb enough to allow the screen to be dimmed, but not the keyboard. Time will tell, however..
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Well, if they would only reduce the power to the keys a little bit, they'd have enough power for built-in wifi.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast