Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi y'all,

I went to the Treo roadshow in Dallas and we asked the design guy about the key brightness. He made it sound as there were even two schools of thought on the key brightness internally at palmOne. It seems the bright keys won . The only reason I asked about the key brightness is that I would like to be discrete in a meeting when using the Treo. When you see the lit up keyboard, you will know what some are talking about. No one was able to dim the keyboard -- they were, however, able to dim the screen. And yes, the sweet 320x320 screen had a larger range of adjustment on contrast -- nice!

I'm sure some will be cracking open their brand new 650s and swapping out the current limit resistors on those keyboard LEDs :0. Maybe someone can setup a business doing so... hee hee.

Goob
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Like I said before.

"Even If PalmOne Gave Away Treo 650's For Free, With a $10 bill Wrapped Around It, People Would Still Complain."
    Perhaps. But I'd be willing to bet that if they gave them away for free with a $10 bill wrapped around them, far fewer would complain about things than if they sold them for a ridiculously large sum of money (which is what they're doing).

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Like I said before.

"Even If PalmOne Gave Away Treo 650's For Free, With a $10 bill Wrapped Around It, People Would Still Complain."
    "MAN" There could be a thousand dollar bill wrapped around it, and these people would still complain. Sheesh!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Well, if they would only reduce the power to the keys a little bit, they'd have enough power for built-in wifi.

How do you know that? Have you ever built a pda/phone before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Perhaps. But I'd be willing to bet that if they gave them away for free with a $10 bill wrapped around them, far fewer would complain about things than if they sold them for a ridiculously large sum of money (which is what they're doing).

Scott

True,
    But most highend pda's are around 400+ dollars any ways.
  6. 7ss
    We tried to adjust the keyboard brightness at the CTIA show and couldn't. Someone might have a hack later but for now the system prefs don't support it. It's not a big deal but I think most people will be surprised at how bright the keys are. It really makes a nice flashlight now!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Right on, Burkhardi!
    For some of us, er, "senior citizens" the bright keys will be a godsend. As you get older your low-light vision decreases ... and mine has gone wayyyyy down.
    To me its so funny, you got the same people complaining their a@ses off about the 650, on the otherhand those same people are the most impatient about the arrival of the new treo 650. Hoping to god it wont be delayed.
    I've seen threads talking about, "where will you be when the 650 arrives?"
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    Question,

For those who've tried the 650. Do the keys light up whenever you toggle the 5 way? I like to read in bed and the 600's keyboard lighting up every time I "turned" a page was really annoying.
    Best,

Bill
    ><(((((`>
    Palm Treo Pro, iPhone 3G 16GB Refurb, Palm TX
    Waiting for Pre GSM!
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    I have never noticed a problem seeing the keys of a 600 dark or light. hmm
    Both my wife and I have a lot of trouble seeing the keys on our 600's in low light situations.

The biggest problem is the lack of ANY lighting for the alphabetic characters on the numbered keys, but they should all be much easier to read in our opinion.

This is a VERY big draw for us with the 650.

It's probably an age thing. Note that by the time most people are reaching their peak in buying power, their vision is likely on the decline.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete_L_P; 11/07/2004 at 04:13 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12