1. mcg
    I know a lot of you have unlimited data plans but I'm not so lucky. I'm on a 2mb/mo plan and I really only use it for light email (10-15 messages per day) so I have some room to play with instant messaging.

Does anyone have any idea how much data I could expect to use for light use? I imagine that I would only really use IM for 10 to 15 minutes per day - while waiting for a meeting to start or the like.

Thanks.
    10-15 emails/day might put you near 2MB by itself. But it depends on IM, I use AOL IM forwarding and it uses my SMS bucket from "the New Cingular" (formerly ATT).

I recall using snapper and checking my email every hour with just the first 2KB and I sailed over 4MB in one month and paid a good amount of overages charges.

But if you're just sending them, not checking them often, you're good. Download AOLIM for Palm or other IM clients and the data is very minimal.

-- Vikram
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
  3. mcg
    Well, I'm currently checking email 2-3 times per day about four days per week so the data usage is pretty good.

Did you notice a huge jump once you starting using an IM program?