1.    #1  
    If the recent comparison shots are, indeed, legit, it seems that the camera in the Treo 650 offers much improved PQ in low light conditions. It's been assumed that this improvement is the result of an updated physical camera, but is that necessarily the case? Might not these improvements be the result of firmware improvements? Perhaps the physical cameras are the same and all of the improvements are in the firmware/software. If so, these improvements could be given to Treo 600 owners via an OS update (though I wouldn't hold my breath).

If there is some possibility that the improvements are in software, I'm wondering if any other enterprising developers could continue to play around and look for ways to improve low light PQ on the Treo 600. For that matter, I'd like to see more 3rd party apps that would improve the 650's PQ as well.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    I agree however p1 can't say that about one of the few major upgrades to the 50.
    I personally think the radical difference between the two cameras is both physical hardware AND software - that is, the JPEG compression might be different (that's software).
    ^agreed...a lense makes a difference, and the processing of the digital information makes a difference...
  5.    #5  
    SeldomVisitor, the differences in low light quality that have been shown, if accurate, would have little or nothing to do with JPEG compression. They may have done that also, but dialing up or down JPEG compression would have no effect on low light sensitivity. In the traditional camera world, this sort of thing would typically be related to the f stop of a lens. Basically, the larger the lens opening, the more light it lets through and, thus, the more information it can derive in a darker environment. The Treo 600 I just got (as a free replacement for a broken Treo 300) has a teensy tiny lens. Perhaps the new lens is physically larger.

My hunch tells me that the differences are in both hardware and software, but I wouldn't be shocked if it was software only. In that case, though, I think that palmOne would likely withhold releasing an OS update to improve things as they're using the improved camera as a selling point, as has been pointed out.

Scott
    I agree, I feel it's both a hardware (different lens) and software improvements. Now, the software improvements may also improve the 600's camera. I doubt it would ever be released for the 600. If it were their chances of everyone upgrading would drop, considering the 650 doesn't have many improvements or upgrades.
    They never said hardware upgrade. I know for a fact that it is at least a software change. A new company made the software for the new camera.

This lens change, that everyone is talking about, is a myth.........
    A couple folks have made the same mistake about the angle from which I'm looking at this - in no way do I think the low-level light handling of the TREO 650 demo units is a function of software - THAT is the hardware improvement I'm talking about here (and elsewhere!):

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...80&postcount=3

However, until someone comes on here and "proves" that they have taken both a TREO 650 demo unit and a TREO 600 and set the JPEG compression to be as unobtrusive as possible I will continue to believe that the JPEG compression is being performed differently with the two cameras resulting in the TREO 650 demo units' camera images being "clearer", not "brighter".
  9.    #9  
    NoClones, I would reckon that the majority of users planning on upgrading are doing so primarily for the 320x320 screen.

SV, I still don't get your point. There haven't been enough pictures from the 650 to demonstrate that it is clearer, sharper, or has noticeably less artifacting. I think the jury's still out on that. What has been shown is that in low light conditions, it does a noticeably better job. Again, that has little or nothing to do with the amount of JPEG compression.

Scott
    It seems to me that from the wording at http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/479-1.htm that the camera is different hardware. If it was simply a software solution they probably could have applied it to the 1.3MP camera that wasn't showing good results.

I'm not going to say that's the only change, but I think it's likely that (at least) the brightness is related to the new camera. There may or may not be different compression applied, but I think the point is that if you take the Treo 650 camera software and retrofitted it to the Treo 600, you wouldn't magically get the same improved pictures.