1.    #1  
    Two questions......I'm considering the Treo 650, but I'm confused.

Do you need to have WiFi to get on the internet? I'm looking at Sprint's unlimited internet plan, called Vision.

When you're on the internet, does that use your cell minutes?

Thanks for helping us new folk......
    no and no
    You don't need WiFi to connect to the Internet, but it is much quicker and Palm has promised they will develop drivers for the WiFi card.

For $15 you can get Sprint's unlimited data plan and you don't have to worry about your data minutes. Check out streaming Shoutcast stations with ptunes deluxe.
    Vison will let you play on the internet all you want it isn't fast but it works. You can check email with a 650 even look at or edit ms word/excel attachements (docs to go 7 is included). Sprint also gives you an email address with vision so you can have an email exclusive to the phone if you want, or use an existing account as well as web mail providers like yahoo. I don't think gmail works though (but I could be wrong)

SMS (short messaging) is limited to 100 per month unless you pay them an extra 5 bucks - then its unlimited. a treo 650 will be a good sms phone because you can type the messages fast.

Looking forward to getting mine. Big draw back is treos dont use the sprint standard power connector. I have a bunch of power supplies for this (car home work and travel). All of the newer sanyo and samsung phones can use this power supply and connector but not the treo. They even have a handsfree car adapter that uses this connector along with the standard headphone jack - but the treo won't work with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsam99
    You don't need WiFi to connect to the Internet, but it is much quicker and Palm has promised they will develop drivers for the WiFi card.
    I have not followed this wifi issue closely but did p1 really "promised" that they will develop drivers for their wifi card?
    Quote Originally Posted by sj2004
    I have not followed this wifi issue closely but did p1 really "promised" that they will develop drivers for their wifi card?
    I don't think so. I think it is wishful thinking or FoxNews propaganda. You know on Fox, "somebody said..." therefore if we repeat it 3 times, then it is now fact, and other stations can quote it as "well some people say..."

I have not seen anything from P1 promising to develop wi-fi drivers for the T650. Hell, the drivers are already developed and being used in other models. It would take minutes only to adapt it to the T650...unless the T650 has other limitations that prohibit wifi that have not come out...yet.
    You can go online using sprints unlimited plan. You have to buy the vision unlimited data plan to get unlimited online minutes.
    Another reason folk here crave wifi on their Treos is because Sprint Vision is limited to US where applicable, as opposed to Wifi which have international support in that one can surf the net overseas and even use VOip to make int'l calls. On unlockedTreo Gsm phones this feature becomes even more of a must as these phones have sim card slots and quad-band capability for facillitating int'l calls. It is a question of world -wide surfing that we long for be it on CDMA or GSM.
    Palm? Fork over those "drivers" dawg!
    Back to the original post, which was about Sprint. Sprint uses its own data protocol (not WiFi) to provide internet access, and the Sprint version of the 650 uses this to provide email and web surfing capabilities. You need a data-enabled plan, though. I assume the Vision plan you mention is one of these plans.

You didn't mention international network access, but if that's important to you, then arguably the most accessible international networking protocol at the moment is GPRS, which you can add to a GSM cellular plan from AT&T or Cingular or T-Mobile (in the US). GPRS is relatively slow (48kbps or so at best), but good enough for email and simple web surfing. Sprint doesn't use GSM, so you can't get a GPRS-based plan from them.

If you want to use WiFi "internationally", then you need to have a WiFi plan from someone that has hotspots around the world, or partners with people that have hotspots around the world. The closest thing to this that I'm aware of is T-Mobile's HotSpot plan, which allows you to use HotSpots at Starbucks and a few other retail location, hotels, airports, etc. in several countries. This is a separate plan from your cellular plan, though. You connect to their HotSpot from any WiFi-enabled device (laptop, PDA, etc.), and login to the network from the login page that's presented in the browser.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mbrenner
    I don't think gmail works though (but I could be wrong)
    The gmail thing has been figured out. See this thread.