1.    #1  
    For those that have a 600, can you please give me your OPINION (I know it's subjective, that's why I'm asking) as to whether the 600 (and hopefully 650) has better reception than "regular" cell phones. I have a Sanyo 8100 now, which gets decent (not great) reception, and I'm just wondering what to expect when I get the 650. I'm on Sprint now in South Florida.
    I asked the Palm One designers about this. They said that the 650 reception should be about the same as the sanyo 5500 that I have (similar radio performance to an 8100). One big difference is that the 8100 has analog roaming so if you ever see the analog roaming symbols on your 8100 you would likely not get reception at all on a treo (or any other digital only phone).
    Hopefully that translates to "better than the 600." It was consistently bad - dropped calls, echo, voice cut-out...I sent my Treo back (my 4th unit in 7 months) because my wife was about to leave me. It was awful. I got a little SE and life was great.
    My VZW 600 is definitely worse than the LG6000 it replaced. Lots more calls go straight to voicemail than ever did on the 6000. Hoping the 650 might improve on this (actually wondering whether my 600 might be defective).
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I have great reception with Sprint in Milwaukee. This is my first Sprint phone so I don't have anything to compare to, but good is good.
    Everex Freestyle -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Deluxe -> Sony CLIE -> Kyrocera 6035 -> Toshiba e740 -> Tungsten T2 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre

visorcentral -> treo|central -> pre|central.net
    I loved using my 600 in Florida...not one problem on Tmobile. In fact it works better the farther I get from Tmobile's signal vortex here in Denver.

Derek
    Derek

Treo 180 --> 270 --> 600 --> 650 --> 680 -- Pro ( )
    the GSM Treo 600 was the BEST reception phone I ever tried. Amazing.
    In MInnesota and Idaho I have had mixed luck with reception on my 600. Calls DO go to VM without a ring about twice a month, although I have some funky third party software that plays MP3's as ringtones (Pocket Tunes and Call Filter BTW) and sometimes I think the lack of an audible ring is because of a mini software conflict between the installed phone software, PT and CF.

Inability to handle more than one call without having to end both calls at once is stangely limiting for such a workhorse smartphone.

Sprint network seems like the best I've used, though. Pockets in service are few and small. So, in summary, I think the reception is fine but hampered by the OS and enhancement software.
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
    --Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
    I just got a Sprint Treo 600 as a free replacement for a broken Treo 300 and haven't had time to really test the antenna, but it certainly seems to be a big improvement over my Treo 300's antenna (though that doesn't say much). FWIW, every phone is different and even some "normal phones" (non-PDA non-smart phones) are known to have poor reception. It seems like, by and large, every new generation of phone gets better in this regard and I'm hoping that the Treo 650 will follow suit.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I have Sprint... I've had a Nokia 3588i, Sanyo 8100, Sanyo 8200 and a Treo 300. The Treo 600 by far gets the best reception. I live in a "dead zone" but still manage to get enough signal to use. Though when I roam (Us Cellular) the signal is much better than when my 8200 roams (DB rating).
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    My wife's inexpensive Samsung gets around the same signal strength that my T600 does in the Chicago area. Both are Sprint.
    - Fushigi
    I found when I used a Treo 600 in Mpls/St. paul that the CDMA service with sprint was pretty much 1-2 and occasionally 3 bars. The battery was gone really fast. I went back to my GSM phone with T-mobile and am waiting for the GSM 650. GSM, in general has much better battery life. Also, my GSM phone seems to have far better signal coverage than did the CDMA 600.

i know that is not apples to apples, but I did not find the Sprint coverage here to be compelling enough to switch. In point of fact, the GSM coverage was better.

I don't think you can compare the radios in the 600 to the 650 either. Because of EDGE, the 650 has a whole new radio. If they didn't improve the radio from the 600 to the 650, then they have to be knuckleheads of the first degree. So, my expectation (based on absolutely no fact) is that the 650 should be a better phone with a better radio.

J
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisersouse
    In MInnesota and Idaho I have had mixed luck with reception on my 600. Calls DO go to VM without a ring about twice a month, although I have some funky third party software that plays MP3's as ringtones (Pocket Tunes and Call Filter BTW) and sometimes I think the lack of an audible ring is because of a mini software conflict between the installed phone software, PT and CF.
    Well, you can easily check that by setting the logging function in callfilter to log "as normal" actions. That way whenever callfilter picks up a call it will log it wether or not the ringtone goes off. if there is an entry and a call went to voicemail then there is something up on your side, otherwise I would say it's poor reception.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Tekara
    Well, you can easily check that by setting the logging function in callfilter to log "as normal" actions. That way whenever callfilter picks up a call it will log it wether or not the ringtone goes off. if there is an entry and a call went to voicemail then there is something up on your side, otherwise I would say it's poor reception.
    Good to know Tekara. I used to live up in your area, its so beautiful up there. I still miss it from time to time. BTW, is there a way that I can tell CallFilter to play an MP3 when a Vmail is left? Havent figured out how to do this yet and CF appears to block the phone programs ability to announce a vmail. Thanks.

Kaiser
    "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist"
    Oh yeah...1 more thing...

What software should I use to edit MP3's? I have some ring tones for CF and they will play twice and then the phone will only vibrate after that and lord knows if I dont hear the first two rings I will NEVER feel the vib.

Essentially I need to place a musical repeat sign at the end of the MP3 so the song will replay until the call end in a pick up, hang up or sent to Vmail.

Thanks again, man

kaiser
    Yeah, the palouse is something else. . . for everyone wondering you can see a picture of the area on your default windows desktop, bliss, I believe. The guy that took that photo lived in this area as well.

Calliflter shouldn't be suppressing the voicemail alert, you may want to check your ringtone volume and your default treo600 alert notification preferences.

Probably the easiest way to make an mp3 longer is to convert it to a wav file and use windows sound recorder and add the the file onto the end of itself.

If you have any other questions, feel free to just drop an email my way at callfiltersupport AT velocityware.com
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

There was an old thread I was involved in regarding this topic. Search for "RF performance 300 vs. 600. To recap, you can dial ##33284 (DEBUG) on the 300 & 600 (and most likely the 650) for RSSI values. My 600 outperformed the 300 (I had two). My household currently has five phones with Sprint - Samsung, Sanyo, Nokia, LG (can't remember model numbers). The 600 outperforms them all. YMMV.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have better reception on my Sprint T600 than my VoIP phone!