1.    #1  
    Yes, they are still planning on doing it, but as speculated in some previous threads, they will force users that do so into a different pricing category. Read more here: SprintPCS Info

The gist of the message is this:
    to be perfectly clear and avoid any confusion among our customers and your readers, there are limitations to using devices as modems in the unlimited Sprint Vision pricing plans. Customers who choose to use their devices in this manner may be required to select a different pricing plan
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    Yes, they are still planning on doing it, but as speculated in some previous threads, they will force users that do so into a different pricing category. Read more here: SprintPCS Info

The gist of the message is this:
    to be perfectly clear and avoid any confusion among our customers and your readers, there are limitations to using devices as modems in the unlimited Sprint Vision pricing plans. Customers who choose to use their devices in this manner may be required to select a different pricing plan

"May" being the operative word here.
    Scraps of paper>>Back of my hand>>Kyo 6035>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>PPC6700(Sold on Fleabay)>>Treo 650>>Treo 700p>>Treo 755p and still thinking about an iPhone
    Right, that really cleared things up didn't it
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    well if he said they WILL have to go into a different price man then people might just go out and get the pda2k when it hits sprint. so lets clear that up and go into truth mode:

"we have crippled bluetooth, sorta like we crippled power consumption to the SDIO slot so you cannot use voip on your phone. users who would otherwise leave other carriers for such things as sprints unlimited vision plan will in fact have to pay just as much as you would for a wireless plan at verizon but hey there's more, sign up now and in two weeks you will be an old customer and we can jack you like we do our current loyal customers. act now and no fewer than none of our customers will get a $150 rebate in no less the next month after last!"

ok but seriously, all sprint flamery aside, cant expect to have our cake and it too. i mean $15 a month for unlimited data is pretty great and a very large population, myself included are still grandfathered in at $10 a month. Now can u move gigs of data anywhere for $10 a month anywhere in the world? not that i know of.

So terribly enough i guess ill just have to us PDAnet.
    Buy a snap sync cable. its really not so bad... no way im paying $80 a month just to be untethered for a whole few feet.
    With all due respect, there is no ambiguity here.

It is technically possible to use many of the existing sprint phones as a modem with your computer through vision. USB cables for example with many of the sanyo and samsung models. This practice has been in violation of the terms and conditions of the sprint terms and conditions agreement - and still is.

Yes sprint did have software available and even cables that would enable you to do this physically, and some store reps and CSR's who didn't understand the T&C's told people that it was okay to do so. But it is a violation of the agreement and always was for vision phones and plans.

Will you get busted for doing so? From what I have read, when done in moderation most likely not. But still it is not allowed. Similarly I drive at 70 MPH to work almost every day (for the past 20 years). I, and most of the other speeders on my freeway run do not get cited, unless we really go over the speed limit (by at least 10 mph or so), but this is still breaking the law.

Now if sprint enables the bluetooth profile to hook your laptop to your 650 you are still not allowed to the 650 and vision as a modem. You may be able to do it and not get cited but you are still not supposed to.

Finally I would like to see this capability for "CASUAL" modem operation allowed as part of the T&C's. For free or a very nominal charge. I would like to be able to use this when I am out of town with my laptop (in a hotel or similar). Perhaps a tethering plan similar to the roaming option for $ 5 bucks, and you get so many minutes for connect time, or so many teathered Megabytes per month. I am hoping that my greatest laptop need (email) and some light browsing can be done on the phone however when I get my new 650 negating the need for much teathering.
    I have a T600 that I sometimes use as a modem with a USB cable BUT it is sooooo slow that only use it for emergencies. Will the T650 be any faster with Bluetooth and/or a USB cable? If the answer is no, Id prefer to hunt around for an open wi-fi port, in any neighborhood there are always a few. Here in San Francisco, about 4 per square block.

What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by sanford
    I have a T600 that I sometimes use as a modem with a USB cable BUT it is sooooo slow that only use it for emergencies. Will the T650 be any faster with Bluetooth and/or a USB cable? If the answer is no, Id prefer to hunt around for an open wi-fi port, in any neighborhood there are always a few. Here in San Francisco, about 4 per square block.

What am I missing?
    I don't know what your exact setup is but for PC users, most use PDANet with a USB cable and the Sprint Treo 600 and speeds are quite acceptable. Not exactly broadband but I routinely get 100+kbps. Perhaps you are doing something wrong in your setup...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty1781
    I don't know what your exact setup is but for PC users, most use PDANet with a USB cable and the Sprint Treo 600 and speeds are quite acceptable. Not exactly broadband but I routinely get 100+kbps. Perhaps you are doing something wrong in your setup...
    Just be careful...Sprint is pretty lax about this, but it is officially against the rules. If they notice a continual large amount of data the have cut people off. There are whole threads about this in the Sprint section.
  9. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Hello, There are folks who would use dun occasionally because they have other isps along with sprint. Then there are those who would use dun all the time; therefore, their only isp would be sprint. I think it would be fair if those who used dun all the time were to pay an extra data fee. But as an occasional dun user with a different isp than sprint, I never pay extra per month. It would be interedting to see a poll of treo users who would use sprint dun as their primary cnxn to the internet. Does such a poll exist???
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Interesting point. I pay for Sprint DSL. Seems like it would make sense for Sprint to give me a freebie, or at least a discount on tethered mode, sort of like TMobile's wifi arrangement.
    Right now Sprint's informal policy is don't ask/don't tell permission to tether provided monthly bandwidth remains under 1 GB. I've used PDAnet and Wireless Modem with impunity for months. While I'll occasionally download a several-MB app, I don't do multimedia filesharing, so I've had no reason to expect Sprint's bandwidth Nazis to suspend my Vision service. Their official no-tethering policy gives them unequivocal leverage against bandwidth hogs.

But supporting BT DUN is another story. If Sprint enables the DUN profile, they're implicitly authorizing it's use; it's not like buying an aftermarket solution. So an informal don't ask/don't tell policy would be untenable. They're going to have to explicity change their TOS if they enable the profile.

The exclusion of WiFi seems to be a technical issue of (1) mitigating excessive power consumption and (2) of getting two radio circuits to work together without mutual interference (these according to Shirai and Colligan). But with BT, it's clear that no technical issue prevents DUN's implementation, since the GSM units all have the profile. Sprint would probably have like to pretend that the DUN profile doesn't exist; but with competing carriers demonstrating it on their 650s, there's no excuse.

What I think should happen, which probably won't, is that Sprint keeps their current unlimited Vision service plans, but formalize the 1 GB monthly bandwidth limit. But I suspect the cost of "legitimate" DUN service plans with unlimited Vision will go up.
  12. jes
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Good point, I agree if DUN is enabled, Sprint authorizes its use. I also favor your suggestion of a 1 GB threshold limit...although I'm not sure about how many GB this should be. This threshold would hopefully distinguish between the casual DUN user and the DUN user that's using Sprint as his primary ISP.
    is there anyway to tell how much you have used?
    When the dark clouds gather on the horizon, when thunder and lightning fills the sky, When fate is but a glint in the eye of a fallen Rattler, And hopes are lost friends, When the sinew of the chest grows weary from those hard-charging linebackers, And the muscles in the legs grow tired from those hard-charging running backs ... You must remember that the Rattlers will... Strike, Strike, and Strike again.
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmcdowell357
    is there anyway to tell how much you have used?
    Wouldn't the Phone Tools app log the data transfer through BT? I cannot see why not since the data is still going through Vision. This was a very handy tool to have my first couple months with my Treo to make sure I wasn't making myself stick out of the norm with Data transfer amounts.