1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I have tried searching but haven't come up with an easy answer to this. I have a treo 600 and want to set up a directory on my SD card which has the files and documents I am currently working on, probably with a directory structure. This has been easy enough to do using bluesync.

However, how do you actually browse through the directories on the treo 600 and be able to click on files, which will then open them in the appropriate applications? I have documents to go and I am looking at various text readers.

Which is the best application to do the browsing?

Cheers,

Mark
    As you may have noticed, Palm apps don't usually work with file structures like typical Window's apps do. The "files" are kept in categories like the built-in Memo Pad etc.

Documents-to-go has a desktop application that syncronizes the documents to your Treo. In that app you can select the SD card and which category the file should go in. IIRC it sticks all documents in the /Documents folder of your SD card or in RAM, and the app sorts them by category. You don't need BlueSync for this and would probably be better off letting Docs-2-go handle the syncronization.

If you really need to open a doc in another folder of the SD card, tell Docs-2-go to search for files. It might take a while but it will find it.

If you want to edit raw .txt files anywhere on the SD card, check out SiEd.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by markshanks
    Hi there,

I have tried searching but haven't come up with an easy answer to this. I have a treo 600 and want to set up a directory on my SD card which has the files and documents I am currently working on, probably with a directory structure. This has been easy enough to do using bluesync.

However, how do you actually browse through the directories on the treo 600 and be able to click on files, which will then open them in the appropriate applications? I have documents to go and I am looking at various text readers.

Which is the best application to do the browsing?

Cheers,

Mark
    Try RescoExplorer from the people who brought you RecscoViewer.

http://www.resco-net.com/palm/
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies. I've downloaded the demo of rescoexplorer and it seems to be exactly what I was looking for. It doesn't work properly with Documents to go in that when you click on a document, they are opened okay in Documents to go, but documents to go saves any changes you make in a new file in RAM. However, I suspect that this is a problem with Documents to go rather than rescoexplorer.

As Thirdtype mentions, the characteristic of windows whereby you can click on files and have them run by the appropriate application doesn't really seem to be a feature of the palm os. What is required is that all applications have a standard way of being passed info on what file to open and how to behave, and this hasn't been completely implemented.