Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Couple weeks ago, docs to go released a patch for 7.002 to upgrade it to 7.003

http://download.dataviz.com/support/...togo7patch.prc

just install the file and it updates all the docs to go programs...
    thats fixes some of the lil bugs in the program...

but the more fun utility is datavizs Data Tech Tool.... which can allow you to move a HUGE chunk of Docs to go to the SD card... which frees up about 4mb (actually approxiamately 4.5mb with the premium version) of ram without any noticable effects. Make sure you run the Tech Tool after the update, or you will have to do it again.

oops heres the link

http://support.dataviz.com/support.s...=13426&pid=132
    Last edited by takmsdsm; 11/05/2004 at 02:25 PM. Reason: forgot link
    That patch is over 4MB. And I cannot find it anywhere on the Dataviz site. And no reference to it. So, 2 questions.

1. Where did you find it?
    2. Even installing it card requires a ton of room in RAM. Normally these updaters can be run from desktop. Why is this one a prc file? It should be an exe file, no?
    Last edited by elysian9; 11/05/2004 at 03:09 PM.
  3.    #3  
    1. i was using cleanup, and going thru files and looking up what program they used on google and a forum popped up with that update.
    2. its an update for the palm files only (not an update for windows side) and deletes itself after its done, leaving as much room as there was before on ram. after running the tech tool, it freed up 4.5mb on my device.

I understand elysian9's concern. I looked all over DataViz's website for the update but couldn't find it so I would be cautious too. I would like to know what the bug fixes are before installing the update. I did however find the Tech Tool - good find. I would definitely use it when I run out of handheld memory. Thanks.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  5.    #5  
    *shrug* maybe its a soon to be release.

heres the links i found it on.

http://www.1src.com/forums/showthrea...4&page=1&pp=15

That site lists two patches... one just for 7.002 to fix screen problems while searching for documents. and then the one i posted above which updates ALL the applications to 7.003
    The updater patch does indeed update 7.002 to 7.003. The most noticable change is speed. There are some other bug fixes, some of which have to do with searching graphics and picture files, but I have not investigated these yet. If anyone is interested in this updater I would suggest the following:

1. Install the Dataviz tech tool first and run it, which will move possible DTG files to the SD card. This should free up enough memory in RAM to allow the updater to work. It needs about 5MB of free RAM.
    2. Install the updater to your SD card (Palm/Launcher folder). (Hotsync will do this automatically, but you need to change the destination.)
    3. Launch the updater from your SD card.
    4. Run again the Tech tool (because the updater resinstalled everything back to RAM).

The files that can be effectively moved to card are listed here.

IMO, this is a better configuration for DTG as it eats about 4MB of RAM when fully installed.
  7.    #7  
    Nice - gave me back a ton of space, via that Tech Tool.
    I have space again! Yeah!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Can I delete the "Install Docs to Go" patch from my card? Do I need to?
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    A couple questions about this Tech Tool, as saving memory is very important for me. I'm still using DTG 6, and I only *really* need Word, and ability to open word attachments (using Snappermail).

First, does anyone know if Tech Tool works with DTG 6, or only 7
    Second, exactly how much memory is really saved? What files that were previously required to be in RAM can now go on the card?

Thanks!
    Another question: If you use many memory cards and take the card out on which the Docs-to-Go RAM files are now saved, is the program no longer able to run?
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    The tech tool is one great tool, I used to move over what I thought would work on the card but I still didn't get it all. This freed up alot of spare memory!
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here
    Another question: If you use many memory cards and take the card out on which the Docs-to-Go RAM files are now saved, is the program no longer able to run?
    It depends which apps you've moved to card. What ever app is NOT in RAM will not run. If you've left WTG in RAM, for example, then it will run, but will have impaired functioning related to what other files were moved to card.
    Well, the Tech Tool is not perfect.

DTG copies any app or files it needs from card to RAM in order to run the app, which is the way any launcher would handle a card app, BUT, unlike these launchers, it does not delete them from RAM after you've exited the app. So, what's the poiunt of having an app on your SD card, if it gets copied to RAM and left there? This means is all that RAM you've saved using the Tech Tool gets smaller and smaller with each DTG app you launch, unless you re-run the Tech Tool and start over. Not horrible, but not good either.
    "Well, the Tech Tool is not perfect.

DTG copies any app or files it needs from card to RAM in order to run the app, which is the way any launcher would handle a card app, BUT, unlike these launchers, it does not delete them from RAM after you've exited the app. So, what's the poiunt of having an app on your SD card, if it gets copied to RAM and left there? This means is all that RAM you've saved using the Tech Tool gets smaller and smaller with each DTG app you launch, unless you re-run the Tech Tool and start over. Not horrible, but not good either."
    ============

Which finally translates to me as best to leave the whole schebang on the Treo RAM rather than constantly playing the old shifting shell game -- swapping this file back, reshuffling and off-loading yet again that file to the memory card. After all, reinventing the wheel misses the point when it comes to ease of use and grace of operation.
    "This space intentionally left blank."
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I believe the full version of Docs to Go will be installed on the treo650.....does anyone know if this "solution" will also be installed or applicable. Perhaps most of the "unneeded" sub-apps will be in memory ROM instead of RAM?
    the tool is excellent nice space gain
    Palm Pilot -> Palm 505 -> Palm Vii-> Ipaq 3670 -> Nokia 6800 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 Unlocked GSM
    Service Attws
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by write1here
    "Well, the Tech Tool is not perfect.

DTG copies any app or files it needs from card to RAM in order to run the app, which is the way any launcher would handle a card app, BUT, unlike these launchers, it does not delete them from RAM after you've exited the app. So, what's the poiunt of having an app on your SD card, if it gets copied to RAM and left there? This means is all that RAM you've saved using the Tech Tool gets smaller and smaller with each DTG app you launch, unless you re-run the Tech Tool and start over. Not horrible, but not good either."
    ============

Which finally translates to me as best to leave the whole schebang on the Treo RAM rather than constantly playing the old shifting shell game -- swapping this file back, reshuffling and off-loading yet again that file to the memory card. After all, reinventing the wheel misses the point when it comes to ease of use and grace of operation.
    if you leave the document open, this is true, but, if you close the open document, and exit, it does delete it from RAM.
    Quote Originally Posted by takmsdsm
    if you leave the document open, this is true, but, if you close the open document, and exit, it does delete it from RAM.
    Yes, you are correct, about how it is supposed to work, but apparently the problem can happen even if you close the document prior to exiting DTG. It did with me. Here is what Dataviz support suggested:

1. Please use the DataViz Tech.prc file to your handheld.
    2. On the handheld, open the DataViz Tech Tool icon, you'll see three options; do not tap on any of them yet...
    3. Tap on Dxtg Tech Tool on the top and from the Options menu go to Advanced options.
    4. From this window tap on Delete Temp database.

This worked. Seems like the Temp database was the problem.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast