Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Treo 650 delayed till February
    By Guy Kewney, Newswireless.net (guy at cix.compulink.co.uk)
    Published Friday 5th November 2004 12:53 GMT

Disappointment seems certain for fans of PalmOne who were looking forward to seeing the new 'Cobalt' operating system in new Palm handhelds, as president Ed Colligan told analysts in London yesterday that he "would not commit" to upgrading his hardware even next year.

The Treo 650, launched last month in the US, turns out to be based on PalmOS 5 or 'Garnet' - and Colligan said he wouldn't even be offering that model to European users until February next year.

Full story available at:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11...o_650_delayed/
    Too bad for Europeans but what about US?
    I wonder where Colligan was when he purportedly made all these statements - there is no announcement of an analyst meeting yesterday for PalmOne anywhere on the net (nor anywhere in the world!), much less on the PalmOne web site.

Weird...
    Here is a link to the story on The Register. It is from London. No mention was made of the US delivery date. I would assume it hasn't changed.
    Zane

Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    Here is a link to the story on The Register. It is from London. No mention was made of the US delivery date. I would assume it hasn't changed.
    Zane

European date = GSM date = February '05.....

SV? Can we get a giggle?
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    European date = GSM date = February '05
    Not a problem!

Nya nyah nya nyah nyah!

Giggle.

-- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...67&postcount=3
    February for Europe. That's a joke!!!! I cannot wait that long. They will lose out to the XDAIII
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    I wonder where Colligan was when he purportedly made all these statements - there is no announcement of an analyst meeting yesterday for PalmOne anywhere on the net (nor anywhere in the world!), much less on the PalmOne web site.

Weird...
    Ed Colligan was in London yesterday and I attended this analyst briefing.

I found The Register article to be complete nonsense.

Cheers, W.
    I'm getting more confused than usual - are you saying the analyst meeting did NOT say "February" nor "1 million TREOs"?

And that the 650/600 comparison photos were FAKED?
    It might be worth to re-title this to not-available in Europe into Feb 2005. I'd venture about 85% of this board is from America and thus it doesn't apply. You might just as well say it's not coming out until October of 2005 and then inside mention that Zimbabwe doesn't have plans until then.

In my opinion, the Treo 650 comes out when it's first available for anyone, but especially when it's available to a vast majority.

This guy was way behind the times mentioning Cobalt today. That was known about 2 months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    In my opinion, the Treo 650 comes out when it's first available for anyone, but especially when it's available to a vast majority.
    -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...0&postcount=28

Yup yup yup!
    I agree the title of this thread is a little misleading..it should say "Europe" in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    Ed Colligan was in London yesterday and I attended this analyst briefing.

I found The Register article to be complete nonsense.

Cheers, W.
    Wanderman, thanks for all your great reporting on treo-related events. Can you comment on the comments that Ed colligan made about Cobalt-based devices? Some new sites are reporting that there will be no Cobalt-based device from P1 still 2006!!!
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    It's been widely reported that Sprint has boughtout PalmOne's entire production of Treo650s until early next year, so it's not surprising that Europe won't see a GSM version until February. This "delay" is targeted to EU only and doesn't apply to us Sprint users in the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Wanderman, thanks for all your great reporting on treo-related events. Can you comment on the comments that Ed colligan made about Cobalt-based devices? Some new sites are reporting that there will be no Cobalt-based device from P1 still 2006!!!
    The whole thing about Cobalt was taken 'slightly' out of context in the article that I mentioned. Ed Colligan did _not_ say that P1 would not be releasing a Cobalt device. He merely stated that he would not tell us whether it would be now, in 2005 or 2006. He recognized that Cobalt had some very worthwhile new smart phone-specific features and functionalities (such as multi-threading) and that P1 would continue to evaluate how these met the company's needs for the development of future devices.

In my opinion his response was nothing more than a polite way to avoid answering the original question and not committing P1 to anything.

Cheers, W.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Another major improvement with Cobalt: The next OS will have native support for the Intel CPU in the new Treo. I am pretty sure that Cobalt is running on top of an ARM emulator in the Treo 650. Sloooow. The 650 has a much faster processor, but a much slower OS, compared to the 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Sloooow. The 650 has a much faster processor, but a much slower OS, compared to the 600.
    I'm sorry but I disagree - I didn't experience this at all when using the Treo 650 for over a day.

Cheers, W.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Disagree about what? The ARM emulator? I didn't mean to suggest that the 650 is slower overall than the 600, just that it is slower than it could be. A Cobalt version of the 650 should be a lot faster.

One way to see this is, the 650's CPU is twice as fast as the 600's. How does your experience of the 650's speed compare with the 600's? Does it SEEM twice as fast? I bet not. But it should.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13
    It's been widely reported that Sprint has boughtout PalmOne's entire production of Treo650s until early next year, so it's not surprising that Europe won't see a GSM version until February. This "delay" is targeted to EU only and doesn't apply to us Sprint users in the US.
    Many of us do NOT use Sprint. No one in Europe uses Sprint. I read this as a GSM vs Sprint issue..NOT.. a U.S. vs Europe issue.

Sprint gets it sometime RSN (Nov or Dec depending on who you believe) and GSM will be in February.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman6
    Does it SEEM twice as fast? I bet not. But it should.
    When are people going to stop accepting the myth that a faster clock cycle is a linear cpu speed increase? It is not, nor has it ever been. The difference is in cpu design mainly. It is a better cpu, though you would not expect to get much more than about 30% more speed out if that.

"The Intel PXA270 processor is code compatible with all ARM* and Intel XScale technology"
    Last edited by shadowmite; 11/05/2004 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Found the quote from intel
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast