Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sprint available in november.

gsms available late december/jan

europe after US.

P1 wanted to get at least 1 650 out for Xmas season. and we all know sprint has been their best friend. remember they are customizing the 650 for carriers and they gave their resources to sprint (sprint can call it buying up all treo capacity if they want).
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    When are people going to stop accepting the myth that a faster clock cycle is a linear cpu speed increase? It is not, nor has it ever been. The difference is in cpu design mainly. It is a better cpu, though you would not expect to get much more than about 30% more speed out if that.
    I agree that the actual throughput gains are determined by a combination of factors, not just cpu speed increase. Faster memory, faster I/O to the SD card, etc. would all be required in order to make maximum use of the faster CPU. Still, the faster CPU should make a noticeable difference.

"The Intel PXA270 processor is code compatible with all ARM* and Intel XScale technology"
    You're saying the Intel CPU can run Garnet without an ARM emulator in software. I did not know that. Still, one of the purposes of the Cobalt rewrite (I have read) is, to write a Palm OS that is designed specifically for the Intel CPU.
    Global Posts
    438 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    It might be worth to re-title this to not-available in Europe into Feb 2005. I'd venture about 85% of this board is from America and thus it doesn't apply.
    Oh of course, I forgot that the US is the center of the universe, so nobody else matters

Orange launched the 600 in Europe quite soon after the US debut, but the only mention of the 650 I've found so far is http://www.phones2udirect.co.uk/Prod...e_Treo_650.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Oh of course, I forgot that the US is the center of the universe, so nobody else matters

Orange launched the 600 in Europe quite soon after the US debut, but the only mention of the 650 I've found so far is http://www.phones2udirect.co.uk/Prod...e_Treo_650.asp
    No....I think that the carriers make themselves the center of the universe and whatever country they mainly service is just along for the ride....which seems to be the US more often than not though.

Prime example of this that we are getting the Treo 650 before EU....but EU got the PDA2K long before we able to start to get the PPC-6600 to public retail....in fact it is still not available to the public...just businesses at the moment.
    The great thing about the "rest of the world" is that GSM rules most of it, so carriers are at the mercy of its clients and the phones THEY CHOOSE, and not the other way round.

The way I've seen people change phones in the GSM world (some at the order of once monthly), I think the manufacturers are high on something to even consider supplying carriers with exclusive/custom phones. If all the world was on GSM, phone turnover would be much higher, thus Nokia, SE, Moto and company would make substantially more mula than they do now.

Just my two rupees...

Dr. Z
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12