well, censorship, what else?

isnt treocentral managed from the US?

expect anything else from over there regarding informative, critical minds?

there you go, nothing made in USA surprises me anymore.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    I hope this thread gets moved too. It's hardly a Treo 650 thread, and everything Treo 650 related is a rumor from someone who heard something from someone who had training from someone else.

However, if you must, it's hardly any surprise to me that the Bluetooth is crippled in current ship state. Even if Sprint were to react now, filtering an update into firmware now is too late. QA cycles are not measured in weeks for a device like this. If it comes, it will come more likely as a patch.

Moreover, the SDIO Wi-Fi is just a rumor. PalmOne has committed itself to a driver, and we should let that stand as is until we hear something more official. The Sprint rep is technically correct -- nothing SDIO will likely work in that slot because nobody has written a driver. Not really a big surprise.
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb

I say 'ole chap, the thread was moved to a more relavent location. It was not censored. I have made many critical comments in the 650 discussion group, and never been censored.
    I was large and in charge!
    Quote Originally Posted by beelzebueb
    The thread involved a guy saying he's switching to a PDA2k, so yeah, it should have been moved.

CALM down - if it was "censorship", then the thread would have been DELETED.
  5.    #6  
    His entire point was a discussion about the TREO 650 and what he learned from a sales manager ABOUT THE TREO 650.

Albert, we are still waiting on many things Palm comitted to for the Treo 600. How long can you hold your breath?
    Seemed like good info. I had not heard of that phone until now. I am pretty shy however when it comes to Windows mobile OS for Pocket PC after a terrible terrible experience with Sprints Toshiba 2032. Worthless phone. For those that are interested however in a side by side comparison, this link, just below this phone says "Compare Vs" and you simply enter the phone and it provides a side by side. Pretty cool: http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=570

Eric
    None of those things from the sales manager is new news though. For instance, we've since learned that BT won't be crippled and that wifi drivers are being coded. Whether we can trust these statements or not is another factor, but I do trust the people that make the device a little more than I do some retail person that deals with many phones and cell plan intricacies and the like.
  8.    #9  
    I guess we will all find out soon enough.

With the huge staff at PalmOne, how long would you reasonably expect it to take to write a few drivers for wi-fi? Not more than a month, I would think. It's not like it hasn't been on their plate for at least a year or two, and it's not like they don't already use wi-fi in other devices such as the Tungsten line. So, hey, maybe by mid-November they will have the wi-fi drivers knocked out. Sounds reasonable to me since I am sure it was just an oversight.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Albert, we are still waiting on many things Palm comitted to for the Treo 600. How long can you hold your breath?
    Changes have been coming down the pipe ... it depends what you're waiting for I guess. I'm certainly not here to evangelize that PalmOne is better than sliced cheese, because as a hardware company they have made some very strange decisions, and some decisions that have no good explanation at all.

However, at the same time I trust that when PalmOne says something it is as close to the truth as we can get. Sprint representatives know nothing. Your neighbor who has a friend who knows someone who cleans the bathrooms at PalmOne and played with one in the R&D room knows nothing. The TreoCentral staff, as good as they are, don't know either.

Whether the 650 is capable of working with the SDIO Wi-Fi card is something only a handful of engineers can answer, and I'd be fearing for my life if I was under the same NDA contracts these engineers are bound to. I certainly wouldn't be leaking that information, without wondering how many years of prison I'd be serving and how many years of garnished wages I'd have to be living with.
  10.    #11  
    I am on your side, Albert. I want a T650 so badly, I can taste it. However, without any wi-fi capabilities it will severely cripple my work and lifestyle. All I need is a wi-fi card capability. I can flip a switch, if needed. I can handle a little interference. I just need wi-fi, and I really want it to be in the T650, and I need to upgrade before the end of the year.

I am hoping very hard for a T650 to come my way, but only one that I can fully use.
    Yawn, boring.
    Someone call the waaambulance.
  13.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    Someone call the waaambulance.
    Very productive contribution. Thanks.
    Funny, I kind of thought it fit right in with the theme of this thread...

jflynn, see if they can stop and pick up a waaahburger and some french-cries.

Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    Very productive contribution. Thanks.