Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I purchased a 2GB by a company called ADATA. It does not work correctly.
    Since I (we?) have so much stuff on the SD card, the faster the better. Anyone know if there is an advantage (or problem with) Lexar's Platinum 60x 1 Gig SD card? Lexar's spec sheet is generic for the SD cards.
    http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/sd_specs.html
    http://www.lexar.com/digfilm/sd_card.html
    mgabel_pi
    Lots of people have posted they are running 2GB cards. Personally, I had a Patriot 2GB card that *didn't* work, but I only bought it after seeing many posts about 2GB cards not working. I have a 1GB card now but am waiting until Best Buy gets 2GB cards -- since I have a boatload of BB gift cards.

Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    I'm pretty sure the Treo supports SD cards up to 4GB (2^32).
    The fat16 file system on the Treo can only address 2GB. If they ever announce a fat32 driver then the Treo could address 4GB cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth
    Really? Was it this one? I ordered a Patriot 2GB from Newegg and it didn't work. I had read that the A-DATA card I linked worked and almost ordered it. I decided to wait until Best Buy had 2GB cards, due to their return policy (I had to pay a restocking fee and return shipping to Newegg).
    OK...here's the scoop....with 16 bit addressing, the Treo 650 using FAT16 can only address up to 2 GB, so purchasing anything larger is not going to work. If and when Palm releases a new 32 bit FAT32 driver (like the LifeDrive has) for the Treo 650, then you could use a 4 GB card. For now, 2 GB is the limit. There are MANY threads on this topic on the board. A search could have brought you this information much quicker.
    soooo many threads on this. The Treo 650 can only handle 2gb because of the file system. I have seen some posts with some fairly crazy hacking to change the file system and use larger cards, but I am not sure anyone can confirm having gotten it to work.

As for me, 2GB blue Sandisk works great.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IntoMyHealth

In researching this, I've seen a lot of posts saying the 2GB cards will work fine in the Treo as long as they are formatted via a card reader that writes FAT 16. Good luck.

It also appears the maximum actual transfer rates are 66x, or appromately 9-10 MBps.

I'm gonna try mine soon...have a 2GB Ridata 150x on order...so we shall see.

There is a workaround PRC floating around that allows the card to read FAT32 and 4GB cards, but I've seen mixed results...and there are backup issues.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tvccs
    In researching this, I've seen a lot of posts saying the 2GB cards will work fine in the Treo as long as they are formatted via a card reader that writes FAT 16. Good luck.

It also appears the maximum actual transfer rates are 66x, or appromately 9-10 MBps.

I'm gonna try mine soon...have a 2GB Ridata 150x on order...so we shall see.

There is a workaround PRC floating around that allows the card to read FAT32 and 4GB cards, but I've seen mixed results...and there are backup issues.
    So how was your experience with the 2GB Ridata 150x ? Did you find it faster than the 66x SD cards? I am looking to get a 150x SD card because I like to do my voice recording on the SD card. I have a 1GB 66x SD card. Do you think it would make a difference as far as the quality of voice recording on SD card?
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    I think all this talk about 88x and 3000x write speeds are worthless. I remember buying cards for my camera and was informed that it only works at potentially those speeds with software and drivers specifically designed to write at those speeds. I have the supposedly superfast Sandisk Ultra 2GB card and it's still too slow per Audiost to write audio to at most relatively decent speeds. I can only record straight to SD from the lowest end of the spectrum. I usually record internal and then copy external.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by slinky
    I think all this talk about 88x and 3000x write speeds are worthless. I remember buying cards for my camera and was informed that it only works at potentially those speeds with software and drivers specifically designed to write at those speeds. I have the supposedly superfast Sandisk Ultra 2GB card and it's still too slow per Audiost to write audio to at most relatively decent speeds. I can only record straight to SD from the lowest end of the spectrum. I usually record internal and then copy external.
    Well that is what this thread is all about (What is the speed of the SD slot on the T650?).
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Here is little utility which tests the speed of the SD card. It is called "Card Speed Test Utility". www.AudacityAudio.com.
    I tested two of my SD cards and the results were a big surprise to me.
    my 128 MB SD card that Palm was giving away a while back beat my 1 GB 66X Kigmax Platinum by far.
    The 128 MB SD card's result was excelent although the 1 GB 66X Kigmax Platinum result was poor and unacceptable.
    I have a 2GB 150x SD card.

It works just fine in my Treo 600.

However, it didn't work at first in my Treo 650. It took me more than a day to understand how to format it successfully for the 650.

Since then it works in the 650 but there is one problem remaining:

If I remove the card from the SD slot, then inserts the card again, the Treo 650 doesn't recognize the card and asks for formatting.

At this very moment, I just reset the Treo and after the reset it doesn't ask for formatting and it works just fine... until I remove it... etc.

So far, I have been using this 2GB 150x card in my 650 for several months. I don't remove it from the slot too often. When I do, I just have to remember I have to reset the Treo for the card to be recognized.

I also have a 1GB 60x premium card. I can tell you the 150x card is at least twice quicker. I can see that speed increase when backupman daily backups the whole Treo Memory to the card. It's twice faster while the 150x card is inserted compared to the time it takes when the 1GB 60x is in the SD slot.

stipus
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Stipus, who makes that card? Different brands work while others don't.
    It's a KINGMAX 2GB 150x. I don't advise you to buy one of these, unless you want to reset your Treo each time you insert the card in the slot.

Just had to reset it as I had to remove the card from the slot to look at the sticker for the brand name

stipus
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    So how was your experience with the 2GB Ridata 150x ? Did you find it faster than the 66x SD cards? I am looking to get a 150x SD card because I like to do my voice recording on the SD card. I have a 1GB 66x SD card. Do you think it would make a difference as far as the quality of voice recording on SD card?
    I had to reformat the card to 2GB using a card reader and a utility from the RitekUSA Web site...Only read 1GB initially...

http://www.ritekusa.com/absupport_do...04.rar&catid=8

At the moment I only have a standard speed Lexar, 32x Lexar, and the 150X Ridata. The write speeds in particular were better on the Ridata, which is key. I have only tested the cards in a 650 so far, I will be testing them in a 600 shortly.

However, it's also been pretty well established that the max speed of the Treo SD slot is 66x, so I hope to test against a Sandisk Ultra II (66x) in the near future.
    Global Posts
    592 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    Well that is what this thread is all about (What is the speed of the SD slot on the T650?).
    Well, yes and no. I say "yes" because there is a speed limit of course. I say "no" because all of these people are talking about the POTENTIAL speed they get with an SD card that may have nothing to do with the Treo.

I have the Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB SD card. The specs are supposedly "66x" speed which is talking about faster than a CD-ROM drive, and is the equivalent of reading 10MB second. I believe write is 9MB second. If that was the case then I have NO PROBLEM with audio files. Yet the SD card rater at audiost.com (Audacity) says my card is a little slow. Well, it isn't. It must be the slot and point blank I can't simply write certain values of compressed audio to the SD card fast enough or else I get skips in the recording.

Thus, the issue here is ONLY with the speed of the slot. Everyone else talking about 66x, 200x, etc. are talking about the speeds of the cards, which are all much faster than the hardware.
    The bus on the Treo 650 MUST be very slow as when I try saving 640 x 480 photos directly to the SD card it takes 5-7 seconds just to save each 75K photo! If I save directly to internal memory the save is almost instantaneous. I believe it is this slow bus that limits so badly the videocam capabilities of the Treo.
    Yeah the read is very slow cause to view pics on my 1GB 66x card, it takes for ever which is really annoying when you have over 150 pics on there, and your trying to find a specific one.
    Hello,
    I'm new to Treo... but not new to flash memory cards.
    Fast SD cards will be of course faster when transfering data onto them
    from a computer and that's obvious adavantage... if that matters to someone.
    It doesn't for me, but what does matter for me is transfer data speed in the Treo itself.
    Like if I have application that uses data stored on SD card in Treo,
    will it be faster with 20MB/s card (like Sandisk Extreme III) than 10MB/s card (like Sandisk Ultra II).

Any experience in that matter?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123