1.    #1  
    How about using the bluetooth chip from the Jabra BT200 adapter (not the headset) and embedding inside the Treo 600. The chip inside the adapter is actually quite light and small.

The tre 600 couple be opened and it could be connected to the headphone/headset internally. All then we need to do is use the bluetooth headset Would that work? Anyone willing to try it...I wouldn't mind trying it out if someone else joins up...

Cheers!
    erm. . . well, the output of the reciever is just a normal audio signal. . . so it would only be good with bluetooth headsets. . . but I suppose if you had enough still you could hide the reciever in the treo and somehow manage to power it.

Something I wouldn't do. . . and I'm pretty willing to mod technology.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

3.    #3  
    Check this thread...its been done for Tungsten W already....

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread/t-7045.html
    Yeah, I mean it wouldn't be difficult, just solder the output of the reciever to the input of the treo. . . probably want to include some kind of switch so that the phone can still be used without a bluetooth headset. Also you probably want to madify the casing to allow for you to press the stylus button so that you can pair the reciever with a headset.

If this were a $100 I may have tried it. . . .

Well. . .have at it and tell me the results.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

5.    #5  
    Sure thing....will buy the Jabra 200 on eBay in the next few days and go at it....
    I, too, wonder how you will power the chip. I don't know offhand what voltages are involved, though I guess there might be some tolerance. You could probably step down the voltage from the treo if necessary, and its unlikely you would need a higher voltage.

One other thing to consider. The bluetooth adapter has a tiny reed switch accessed by a little tool (small paperclip calibre) for setting auto-answer (for use with the button on the headset), and for actual mating of the adapter and the headset. You will have to duplicate this functionality, too. Shouldn't be difficult IF you can locate the chip or at least the switch near the inner surface of the case at a spot where you could drill a small access hole.

Finally, I have no idea what sort of antenna exists inside the adapter. Will you have to find space for that as well?

With all that said, I wish you much luck in this endeavor! Maybe you can start a service to provide this mod??!!
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  7.    #7  
    Excellent points Dalai. The link I provided earlier mentions that the guy can mod it with various bluetooth chps. Already runs a service. If I am successful, then would think of starting a service.
    Well the battery on the treo is 3.7v, unfortunatly I don't know what the voltage requirement of the base unit is. . . but that's just a matter of yanking the battery in it and testing the voltage.

How's the empty space inside the treo? DO we have any cavities that the hardware can be placed into?

The charger for the bluetooth adapter is rated at 6 volts. This doesn't guarantee that the device itself runs at that voltage, I suppose, but this might be a problem. I know of ways to step down voltage, but I can't recall a way to step it up with a small component (a 1:2 transformer comes to mind, but I would worry about space for that).
    http://www.doctordalai.com
  10.    #10  
    you're right! Space might be an issue especially since this may require a transformer. I will check with the guy who is modding Tungsten Ws (I have a feeling the voltage on that would be siilar to the Treos) and let you guys know...

Cheers!
    The real problem lies in the fact that everyone is looking at this problem from SD slot standpoint.
    The simpler solution would be to use current technology and make an extended sleeve for the 600, something like the extended battery pack, but one that only increases the length of the unit but not the thickness.

Current solutions offer a "dongle"(teathered box) that hangs off of the audio jack. I'd be happier with a sleeve that had a plug that would mate with the jack but didnt have a wire and instead simply extended the length of the 600 by half an inch. There's even the possibility of using the existing bottom connector for tapping into the battery, or using a dedicated AAA battery embedded in the sleeve.

It's a packaging issue... (however I realize that hard tooling for plastic is an expensive proposition) .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay
    The real problem lies in the fact that everyone is looking at this problem from SD slot standpoint.
    The simpler solution would be to use current technology and make an extended sleeve for the 600, something like the extended battery pack, but one that only increases the length of the unit but not the thickness.

Current solutions offer a "dongle"(teathered box) that hangs off of the audio jack. I'd be happier with a sleeve that had a plug that would mate with the jack but didnt have a wire and instead simply extended the length of the 600 by half an inch. There's even the possibility of using the existing bottom connector for tapping into the battery, or using a dedicated AAA battery embedded in the sleeve.

It's a packaging issue... (however I realize that hard tooling for plastic is an expensive proposition) .
    I really don't mean to be rude, but this thread has nothing to do with what you seem to be talking about. We are discussing integrating a bluetooth headset base unit into the treo600 so that one can use a bluetooth headset with the treo600.

-----------------

Since this is all DC, there should be plenty of solid state IC solutions for modifying the voltage. Space can easily be cut down by removing the entire charging circuit in the bluetooth base unit. There's no need for that or the battery, so we should be able to cut it down to the bluetooth chip and the output circuit. Shouldn't be much more than a IC on a small board.

I view this thread as addressing how to feasibly add bluetooth to the 600.
    Some have chased a SD slot solution.
    On this thread you chase the possibility of adding additional circuitry of the bluetooth chip and a voltage regulator into some "spare space" inside the Treo 600.

I don't mean to be rude, but I've worked with semiconductors in the electronic manufacturing industry for 17 years. Your idea of "adding a small chip or two" is simplistically appealing, but I do not believe it is realistically feasible.
    You still are a bit off on our intentions. What we intend to do is very feasable. We aren't adding bluetooh functionality to the phone. We are simply concealing the base unit of a bluetooth headset inside the casing of the treo600.

The only interface that will be neccesary is the audio output of the baseunit being routed to the headset jack of the treo. Theres nothing complex there.

15.    #15  
    Tekara - I have finally bought the Jabra 200 with the base unit. Will be giving the mod guy a call and see where it goes. Will keep you posted. I can't seem to recollect it but there's a thread online that describes how we (as in ourselves) can add the BT base to a Tungsten W. So I presume it is very possible.
    Awesome, keep me updated on your progress.

17.    #17  
    Here's the deal. Instead of using the Jabra module (which works only with Jabra headsets), I plan on using the module from http://www.eazix.com/products/bt/ez-btm.htm . From a voltage perspective, it requires 3.3v hence no transformers. All I now need to do is electro-magnetically shield it inside the Treo and probably get a heat sink to cool the BT module. It will share the power from the Treo's battery. This should now 'pair' with ALL Bluetooth 1.1 compliant headsets. Still need to figure out where the switch should be. May need to cut an opening in the side of the Treo for the switch. If successful, will try to make the process commercial. So, wish me success!

Cheers!
    Take pictures!