Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been using the PDA2K for a few days, I don't think I'll be sticking with the PDA2K. You cannot use it one handed: it's too big to reach all the way across with a thumb. Plus, you cannot use it stylus-free: they have not tweaked the UI and the keyboard enough to make it navigatable without the stylus. You can get most of the way there, but then you realize that no key press, no 5 way nav pad button, no tab or space key stroke will move the cursor to the next entry. It can be pretty frustrating. In fact, I found that it takes longer to do part of the input by sliding out the keypad and finishing up with the stylus than it did just to do the entire input via the stylus and the onboard keyboard (or character recognition, whatever is your preference).

And THEN I found myself thinking, well heck - if I'm just going to use the stylus anyway, then why put up with such a bigger device, when the iMate Jam is just around the corner. The JAM is a pocket Pc converged device that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. sure it's got no built-in keyboard, but then again, it's basically a PDA/phone that's all screen. As always, it comes down to compromises - if I'm willing to forego the keyboard, then I can get a bigger, beautiful PPC screen. I will say this: Voice Command does make navigating a Pocket PC device MUCH easier. It really does work well. But that only helps with looking up info on your device. When it comes to inputting new info - you will eventually have to resort to the stylus. That fact is not the end of the world, but it requires two hands and extra time compared to the Treo keyboard.

My personal experience has been that, once I figured out how to do *anything* on my treo 600 without the stylus (resorting only rarely to the occasional thumb tap on the screen), I *swore* I'd never go back to a device without a built-in keyboard. Well, I figured the PDA2K has a keyboard, but that device has made me realize that it's not really the keyboard which I value so highly, but the stylus-free operation of the device which is so useful. When you can pull the Treo 600 out of your pocket, answer the phone, turn on the speakerphone, open the contacts app, and enter a person's mobile phone number under a newly created contact entry - all without taking out the stylus - now you are REALLY saving some time. Multiply that by the countless times a day I refer to my Treo for info or enter new data, and it feels like a real time savings and productivity enhancement.

I'll probably test drive the JAM when it becomes available, but I suspect that I'll end up with the Treo 650 for the reasons I've just stated. If the higher res screen on the 650 allows me to see a little more of my info per screen, then I'll know I've got the best device for me. right now one of my biggest gripes with my 600 is that in the month view of Datebk5 I can only see 3 icons per day...on the PDA2K, I can see 6 per day. While the month view might not be as important to others as it is to me, the concept is still the same: the Treo screen is a lot smaller than a PPC screen, which is a trade off for a better form factor. but if I can squeeze more view into that smaller screen because of better resolution, than I'll be ecstatic. However, it's likely that the 650 screen will be prettier than the 600, but the apps might not be able to put much more view onto each screenful - after all, the only way to do that would be to make everything a little smaller, and stuff on that screen is already pretty darn small.

So for me - as always - it will probably come down to what is the best compromise. The 650 with the killer one-handed useability, or the iMate Jam, where I can use Voice Command (and icons on the Today screen) to get to my info stylus free, but where I know I'll have to use the stylus for inputting.

Honestly, if ANYBODY ever figures out how to get Voice Command functionality into the Treo, it's Game Over. treo wins. Heck, not even the entire Voice Command functionality, just voice dialing. Oh well.

No wonder I'm going broke.
    The treo 650 comes with voice dialing software, you can dial by name or by number. Its a trial software, after the trial only the dialing by number will work, according to the article that was posted on treo central when it was first announced.
    Thanks for posting your in-depth testimonial. Like many, I too debated on the PDA2K. I was going forth with the 650 before this article. After your posting, I am 100% sure that 650 is the right device for me.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    i like hearing that too.
    this means even when my verizon friends get their pda2k i can still be Sprinting around with a 650
    When you can pull the Treo 600 out of your pocket, answer the phone, turn on the speakerphone, open the contacts app, and enter a person's mobile phone number under a newly created contact entry - all without taking out the stylus - now you are REALLY saving some time. Multiply that by the countless times a day I refer to my Treo for info or enter new data, and it feels like a real time savings and productivity enhancement.
    I do this all day on my PDA2k with one hand. Maybe you just need to spend a bit more time learning how to use it. Remember when we all got our shiny Treo's? I saw soooo many people pulling out the stylus... they were used to it on older Treos/Palms. It took some time before people realized and utilized the d-pad and other one handed features of the Treo.

Honestly, except for the calendar, I am able todo EVERYTHING one handed on my pda2k (and more) without a stylus... and its not like you make TONS of calandar entries in a day (this area shouldnt hamper things).

Maybe we should chat and I could help you out with some of the things I have learned? We (pda2k users) need to work together to learn how to fully utilize our devices. Its amazing how many great things this device can do.. I learn new things everyday.
    But were you able to use wi-fi on the pd2k?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki
    The treo 650 comes with voice dialing software, you can dial by name or by number. Its a trial software, after the trial only the dialing by number will work, according to the article that was posted on treo central when it was first announced.
    True. But remember Michelle White from Palm1 stated that voice-dialing thru bluetooth headsets will not work as of yet on the fifty. After using the Bluetake and Jabra headsets, she informed that info on the bluetooth profile has yet to materialize. Until then we're left with barking commands via the mic on the fifty as per the trial cd included. Cool for now but we need that headset feature in the near future and I hope P1 hears and reads our posts(trust me they do)! In reference to the original post dude is sincere and correct: The Treo form-factor and usability are essential for our needs and becomes numero uno inour primary reason for staying on team and loyal to brand. We just believe that our gripes will be taken into consideration when manufacturing/production day happens with add-ons that we dictated thru Treocentral boards in our collective and infinite wisdom!
    Holler!
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I know exactly what your saying. I just sold my PDA2K this week. After using it for about 1 week and going thru the mission of porting my number to Tmobile I must say the phone is NOT a treo. I missed my Treo and wondered why I would of ever gave it up. I now went back to Sprint and am using a flip Sanyo 8100 just until the T650 comes out. Im struggling yes but I feel the wait will be worth it.
    sorry for the long URL, but check out this voice dialing app for the 600 (I haven't used or tested it, or anything)

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...0&prodid=80429
    Try training this voice dialer for over 1000 contacts. No fun. Let alone... lets hope it allows recording to the SD card. We all know about the lack of memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Try training this voice dialer for over 1000 contacts. No fun. Let alone... lets hope it allows recording to the SD card. We all know about the lack of memory.
    according to the info posted elsewhere, the trial voice dialer for the 650 requires no training.
    Farzonalmaneih -

Read your review on HOFO and look forward to the second half. I was really interested in your last post here because usability (especially one hand) is a key factor for me. I'm really tempted to get the PDA2K/6600 (I'm a Sprint guy and that won't be changing), but get the impression from others that it's just harder with the 2K.

One-handed,

Will I be able to enter an URL in IE
    Compose an email or SMS
    Simply navigate around to different programs, etc.

Something you said really hit home with me, that being "stylus dependence."
    It took me a while to realize how easy it was to navigate on the t600 without it. It was just a habit. Your confidence makes me hopeful.
    Honesty! Courtesy of.........TheGasGuru
    Farzonalmaneih -

Does the 6601 come with wi-fi capability, or can you use a wi-fi card in it? I can't seem to get an answer from anyone on this. I appreciate your help.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The CDMA version of the 6601 does NOT come with wifi.
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    but can tou add a wifi CARD????????
    I have been told by several the the 6601 does not come with wi-fi built in , but it readily accepts a wi-fi card, and people are using wi-fi in it now. I do not know if that is with a CDMA version or not.

Where are people getting these phones in the US?
  18. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thegasguru
    The JAM is a pocket Pc converged device that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. sure it's got no built-in keyboard, but then again, it's basically a PDA/phone that's all screen.
    I was checking out the JAM over at HowardsFourms and I gotta admit that it is one cool design. Small, powerful and good looking.

However, the lack of even numeric keys is a big negative. I am not one to embrace voice dialing. I prefer to dial the old fashioned way. I got enough issues and walking down a busy street yelling at my phone isn't going to do much to improve things...

Also, the five-way navigator is very close to the phone and pda buttons. Just looking at the pictures it would appear very easy to accidentally press them while using the navigator. Just my .02.
    It would be to see interesting comparative reviews on the order of Michael Druckers's and thegasguru's about the PDA2K Treo650, and PPC-6601.
    Anyone with a link to the Jam.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast