Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    actually i said the phone first thing as well, pretty long time ago too since i had the pda2k 2 months before production, but anyways. nguyen seems pretty decided on his device. good for him. dont bother trying to convince someone whos decided on an alternative which hes already considered and rejected. thats not the point of starting a thread like this one. its to present an individual perspective from one person who went with one soluton, but ended up settling with the alternative for whatever reason. i have the sp3i, the jam and the pda2k all sitting in my drawer waiting to be shown to potential customers. guess which device is being charged cause it was being used all day... to each his own.

on a side note, ill be offering my opinion comparing the treo to the aforementionned devices, but there will be no surprises, only more specific breakdowns in each category. expect it sometimes this week..
    Quote Originally Posted by spacehog
    actually i said the phone first thing as well, pretty long time ago too since i had the pda2k 2 months before production, but anyways. nguyen seems pretty decided on his device. good for him. dont bother trying to convince someone whos decided on an alternative which hes already considered and rejected. thats not the point of starting a thread like this one. its to present an individual perspective from one person who went with one soluton, but ended up settling with the alternative for whatever reason. i have the sp3i, the jam and the pda2k all sitting in my drawer waiting to be shown to potential customers. guess which device is being charged cause it was being used all day... to each his own.

on a side note, ill be offering my opinion comparing the treo to the aforementionned devices, but there will be no surprises, only more specific breakdowns in each category. expect it sometimes this week..
    Spacehog, I understand exactly how you feel. And I have not 100% totally made up my mind yet. I have yet to see the treo 650 to be in my hand and used. Then and only then I will make up my final decision. Right now I am leaning towards the ppc. I must admit, it was a huge struggle trying to learn the OS of the ppc. It was like learning to walk all over again. But once learned it is a blessing.

Techjunkie, I do realize my remarks on the earlier post were a bit biased. I didnt mean it to be. I just wanted some people to realize that the ppc is not a throw away piece of equipment when compared to the treo 650. It totally depends on what your needs are. And yesterday night I got irratated by looking at so many people trashing the ppc that the post came out wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Spacehog, I understand exactly how you feel. And I have not 100% totally made up my mind yet. I have yet to see the treo 650 to be in my hand and used. Then and only then I will make up my final decision.
    The problem with getting a Treo 650 in your hands to check it out before buying is that the 650 is probably going to be so hot an item that few retailers will want to burn one from inventory to put it on display. The best you might get is a dummy phone which is fine for getting the feel of it, but useless for things like checking out functions or the screen. Even the Sprint store I went to recently had all dummy phones for their more expensive ones. And Best Buy is even less likely to put one on display. You might just have to take a leap of faith.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleReeck
    The problem with getting a Treo 650 in your hands to check it out before buying is that the 650 is probably going to be so hot an item that few retailers will want to burn one from inventory to put it on display. The best you might get is a dummy phone which is fine for getting the feel of it, but useless for things like checking out functions or the screen. Even the Sprint store I went to recently had all dummy phones for their more expensive ones. And Best Buy is even less likely to put one on display. You might just have to take a leap of faith.
    I doubt it. I remember somebody saying something about in their florida sprint store, they already had a treo 650 on display.
    I do not think that this will sell out so fast. I believe that there will be plenty instock. The phone cost $650, the average american consumers usually do not invest in such a phone for that price. The 650 will be a good seller but it wont be sold out everywhere. They will need those display models to advertise and sell the units.
    Do you know what Bluetooth version the 6601 has (1.1,1.2)? It’s becoming a harder choice now deciding which one to get now. I wonder what’s the percentage that the 650 will have evdo?
    treo 650 does not have EVDO
    I am amazed at the number of, probably very intelligent, people on here who say they can't figure out the PPC OS. It is not much different than the desktop windows platform you probably use every day of your life. You want a program, you click on it to open, maybe double-click in some cases, maybe use the start bar in others. What is so hard about the PPC OS?
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
    ...If you like a tiny bit smaller form factor and can sacrafice a small screen, slower processor, small keys, and eye strain from watching movies and browsing the web?
    Then choose the Treo 650
    Nuff said.
    Your're kinda rough on the Treo, it is not as clear cut as you state it. bottom line size does matter, and if you golf an mean to bunch.
    But lets face it this is the fun part Talking about what we want and wish we had...Now!.
    In 1 month we well be talking applications and which one is better like the launcher and backup app wars.
    Then in three months we will be looking for the Treo700 some will leave and go to PPCs others will return.
    We should just be thankfull we are blessed to ahve these choices
    Exactly right, g.711. We should all take these comments (in all the groups) as fun banter. It is full of speculation, hopes, dreams, disappointments, fantasy comparisons, etc. It should be fun, some get a little testy and some highly offended, but we are just all gabbing, and thankful to have a place to vent.
    Well I see that this conversation hasn't really gone anywhere. And how can it? It's basically become a PPC vs Palm OS discussion. I would suggest that anyone who is tempted by a Treo 600/650 or these other PPC phones do themselves a favor and try some hands on use. As someone who has used both platforms for quite a while I'll just add my own personal comments...

The huge advantage of the Treo 600/650 is the non-stylus-centric usage. This 6601 device may come close, but when the keyboard is closed, the D-Pad won't be where your thumb naturally rests. Interestingly enough, I actually think that the Treo 600/650 should be a bit longer (if necessary) so as to position the D-Pad a bit higher. My thumb gets slightly cramped when moving around.

The user who talked about the superiority of PPC web browsing...I'm not sure that's accurate. Blazer 3.0 on my Treo 600 vs PIE on my HP iPaq h4415 has pros and cons. Again, the thumb-centric usage scores big points for me. Blazer 4.0 on the 320x320 screen of the 650 looks to be a big improvement, too. One big thing I wish that someone would offer for Palm OS 5 is tabbed browsing. The PPC definitely wins there. Can one of the 6601 owners comment regarding streaming video? Have you tried it? If so, how well does that work?

I personally dislike many things about the PPC user interface, but I won't go into the details of it here. The true multitasking is nice, though many creative Palm OS developers have apparently figured out ways around this. Still, there's work to be done for other apps (e.g., GPS should continue to run while leaving to pull up other info in another app or when a phone call comes in). In some categories, the PPC 3rd party apps are far more mature (e.g., graphic editing software), but there is no reason why a Palm OS app couldn't be every bit as capable. A big negative on the Palm OS is the antiquated file system which prevents me from installing many apps entirely to an SD card (though this, again, is more of the fault of developers) and which burdens me with a launcher which only allows me to categorize apps stored in internal memory and lumps all SD-card apps into one big "Card" category (this is something that PalmSource themselves should address).

Overall, I prefer the Palm OS interface and the Treo 600/650 D-pad integration. I'm not married to any one platform, though, and if Microsoft can work to integrating the D-Pad and thumbboard completely into their OS and fixing up some of the GUI defects, something like that Benq device could be sweet indeed. Another option is their Smartphone platform which was built to be D-Pad/keypad centric from day one. I suspect we'll see some thumbboard-based MS Smartphones arrive (in fact, I predict that the rumored Microsoft Treo will run on the Smartphone, and not the PPC, OS/GUI and will arrive within six months). And don't forget about the Symbian Series 60 platform. Nokia has experimented with lots of formfactors and I predict that within 6-9 months they'll finally hit upon a nicely designed thumbboard-based Series 60 smartphone.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    treo 650 does not have EVDO
    and the EV-DO PPC does not have WiFi!
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Techjunkie, I do realize my remarks on the earlier post were a bit biased. I didnt mean it to be. I just wanted some people to realize that the ppc is not a throw away piece of equipment when compared to the treo 650. It totally depends on what your needs are. And yesterday night I got irratated by looking at so many people trashing the ppc that the post came out wrong.
    No harm, no foul. Maybe after the treos or ppc's end up in TC'ers hands, the testosterone level on this board will go down.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    No harm, no foul. Maybe after the treos or ppc's end up in TC'ers hands, the testosterone level on this board will go down.

Lets drink to that
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123