Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    It would be to see interesting comparative reviews on the order of Michael Druckers's and thegasguru's about the PDA2K Treo650, and PPC-6601.
    The PDA2k IS the PPC-6601, isn't it?
  3. cec
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    My understanding is that they are the same phone. There are different versions of this phone - GSM, CDMA, w/wifi, w/o wifi, w/camera, w/o camera etc.
    Thanks for the links, Specimen. They do appear to be the same phone, just manufactured under different names, and have different feature sets, seemingly dictated by the carrier (Sprint).

I think the US version of the pda2k is the ppc-6601.
    That phone is pretty compact when the keyboard is in.
    My Bad.... GREAT SCOTT....! THEY ARE THE SAME PHONE!
    Thanks RBright.
    cool to hear someone who shares my exact opinion of the pda2k. i love the device, its really cool for what it does, and what it does is offer basic laptop replacement functionality with a touch of phone useability. but i have a laptop thats a little smaller than the vaio tr5, and its small enough to carry with me to places where i can see myself using word, excel, ppt, IE etc.. intensively. i mean sure, u can do all that on the imate, but ive tried again and again to do proper work on the pda2k's 3.8" screen, to no avail. it's just not happening.

the treo doesnt assume to be as able and handy in providing its users with a laptop replacement. it instead offers traditionally nokia and sony ericsson users with office functionality and seamless MS office integration. the treo doesnt forget about its roots, and ensures that phone users will be able to use it as a phone at all times.

myself and farzon strongly disagree it seems with regard to the pda2k's usability and reliability, i guess it's a matter of opinion. so i would strongly encourage any and all users not yet convinced of either device, even those who ARE convinced should still give the other one a chance, and go HOLD ONE in your hands. within 5 minutes, im more than certain youll either love or hate the device.

ive been using the jam for the past 4 days, and i really realyl like the size and feel in the hands, its absolutely awesome, but i almost got into an accident yesterday while in the car trying to make a phone call. its absolutely horrendous when you have to accurately point to a number/contact that takes up 3 to 4 veritcal pixels with the end of your thumb will driving, or even when simply walking down the street, without having to stop and pull out the stylus. the jam however will command massive success thanks to its aesthetic appeal, and for those people who have no problems taking out the stylus to navigate around (i was such a person 2 years ago before i got my car and whilst i was still a student). nowadays, though the windows mobile OS is so much more interesting and fun to play around with, the treo remains my tool of choice on a daily basis..
    forgot to add the specs page i wwanted to share with everyone. dont hesitate to ask questions about all imate/palm devices guys, just be sure to make the questions as specific as possible.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    spacehog,

How is the quality of the 1.3 mp camera on the imate? I wonder how it would compare to the "improved" 0.3 mp camera on the Treo 650.

Did you compare the camera on the PPC6601?
    i havent used the treo650 since its not out near where i live yet, but i can safely say that the jam's pics are on par with those of the zire 72. the pic looks a bit better on the zire cause of the display resolution advantage over the jam, but when transferred to the pc, they both look about the same, which is good enough to share with friends and family, but not even close to good enough for print.

the pda2k camera is not bad, i compare it to the one on my old t610 (sony ericsson)
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    spacehog, would you please tell us more about the jam? I don't understand how one small screen can be both keyboard and monitor.
    the keyboard pops up, sort of like a collapsable graffiti area on a t3/t5. ill be writing a review of the jam soon, i just need a few days to gather up my final thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    I do this all day on my PDA2k with one hand. Maybe you just need to spend a bit more time learning how to use it. Remember when we all got our shiny Treo's? I saw soooo many people pulling out the stylus... they were used to it on older Treos/Palms. It took some time before people realized and utilized the d-pad and other one handed features of the Treo.

Honestly, except for the calendar, I am able todo EVERYTHING one handed on my pda2k (and more) without a stylus... and its not like you make TONS of calandar entries in a day (this area shouldnt hamper things).

Maybe we should chat and I could help you out with some of the things I have learned? We (pda2k users) need to work together to learn how to fully utilize our devices. Its amazing how many great things this device can do.. I learn new things everyday.

Same here. I have the ppc6601 and I do it all one handed also.
    I remember having a treo 600 and I always just used my finger to press the screen to make a call. The keys were way too small for me to press without pressing other keys. The treo is a dinosaur, for the love of god, just let it die.
    The ppc6601/6600 is the wave of the future and better than the treo in pretty much everyway. The only single single single thing the 650 can even nibble on the ppc is that it is a tiny bit smaller than the ppc when the ppc is closed.
    Its not like you need the keyboard out all the time. To me, I dont do typing for every use, so the ppc is perfect for me. It is perfect for multimedia, web browsing, movies, and other entertainment purposes. The only complaint I have about the ppc is that its hard as heck trying to find the perfect case for it. When I had the treo the only case I was satisfied with was the vaja i-volution. I hate flip flap cases. So I decided to use the ppc bare naked.
    Last edited by nguyen23464; 11/14/2004 at 12:43 AM.
    Your comparison is with the Treo 600. Most members are comparing the hypothetical move functioning of the Treo 650 which you is very different than the Treo 600. You are the first (I have heard of) to successfully transition from Treo to PPC 6601. I'm sure you are having a lot of good dialogue on the "PPC|Central Forums"

Quote Originally Posted by nguyen23464
    Same here. I have the ppc6601 and I do it all one handed also.
    I remember having a treo 600 and I always just used my finger to press the screen to make a call. The keys were way too small for me to press without pressing other keys. The treo is a dinosaur, for the love of god, just let it die.
    The ppc6601/6600 is the wave of the future and better than the treo in pretty much everyway. The only single single single thing the 650 can even nibble on the ppc is that it is a tiny bit smaller than the ppc when the ppc is closed.
    Its not like you need the keyboard out all the time. To me, I dont do typing for every use, so the ppc is perfect for me. It is perfect for multimedia, web browsing, movies, and other entertainment purposes. The only complaint I have about the ppc is that its hard as heck trying to find the perfect case for it. When I had the treo the only case I was satisfied with was the vaja i-volution. I hate flip flap cases. So I decided to use the ppc bare naked.
    Your comparison is with the Treo 600. Most members are comparing the hypothetical move functioning of the Treo 650 which you is very different than the Treo 600. You are the first (I have heard of) to successfully transition from Treo to PPC 6601. I'm sure you are having a lot of good dialogue on the "PPC|Central Forums"

The 650 form factor is the same as the 600. The keys are a little enhanced but still look too close to me. The screen is still the exact same size. There still is a external antenna.

FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL DEBATING ON CHOOSING BETWEEN THE PPC OR THE TREO 650 HERES THE DEAL:

If you like multimedia, entertainment (web browsing included) and simply the most high tech smart phone there is:

Then go with the ppc6601/6600

If you like a tiny bit smaller form factor and can sacrafice a small screen, slower processor, small keys, and eye strain from watching movies and browsing the web?

Then choose the Treo 650

Nuff said.
    If you like multimedia, entertainment (web browsing included) and simply the most high tech smart phone there is:

If you like a tiny bit smaller form factor and can sacrafice a small screen, slower processor, small keys, and eye strain from watching movies and browsing the web?

Then choose the Treo 650

Nuff said.
    That is a very bias post, nguyen23464.

I like the way one TC'er put it...

If you want a PDA first with a Phone, go with the MS Mobile Phones (i.e. PPC6601/6600, PDA2K)

If you want a Phone first with a PDA, get a Treo.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by techjunkie
    That is a very bias post, nguyen23464.

I like the way one TC'er put it...

If you want a PDA first with a Phone, go with the MS Mobile Phones (i.e. PPC6601/6600, PDA2K)

If you want a Phone first with a PDA, get a Treo.

Biased? I think not. If TC'ER would have searched around the forums he wouldnt have posted this opinion that I have already said.

quote:::

kenn

I haven't bought a wifi card yet. I'm not as impressed with the phone as I had hoped to be so I'm avoiding buying games and acessories until I am sure I'm going to keep it. I know I can return the phone to sprint for 30 days, so I'm cool until i figure out my usability issues.

Just as a side note, someone here, I believe nguyen, stated that the treo650 was probably going to be the best converged device for those who want phone first, pda second. I have a feeling that the 6601 will be pda first, phone second. Both devices I'm sure will rock, but it's going to come down to usability. I'm getting more and more irritated by lack of any real documentation though traffic on pdaphonehome is picking up a bit and I suspect there will be help there more than anything.

I few very annoying quirks:

the FN key doesn't indicate if on or off and it's use is quite quirky. I keep getting FN keys when I don't want them.

sliding the keyboard open and closed isn't as "painless" as I had imagined. It's a bit annoying, but tolerable.

It's only a CM wider but feels like an inch.

There's nowhere to grab it out of the holster without pressing a damn button.

battery life is still under investigation and i'm a bit concerned... [/I]

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=61914
    Last edited by nguyen23464; 11/14/2004 at 01:51 AM.
    FOR THOSE WHO ARE STILL DEBATING ON CHOOSING BETWEEN THE PPC OR THE TREO 650 HERES THE DEAL:

Then choose the Treo 650

Nuff said.
    What I am saying is that your wording is too biased. Read your post again with eyes of an undecided. That's all.

So I credited an anonymous TC'er without searching and it happened to be you (and with good intentions). Woopty Doo. If you get your nerdy high from spending 5 more minutes searching all over the TC board just to ctrl-C ctrl-P verbatim a previous post, all the power to you. I just wish that people like you wouldn't be so sensitive about small stuff as such.

I just disagree with the way you paint the PPC vs Treo picture, that's all. I think the different devices suit different people with different needs. It's nothing personal. I just want to make sure that the undecided get a proper perspective.
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Phone functions aside.. For someone that been a palm user first, you better play with the PPC interface. I switched from palm to a HP4415 (i think thats the number) and then came back to a Treo600 becuase I could not get comfortable with the PPC OS. Probably just a personal problem, but if you can, play with a device for a while. Try to make the trial peirod as long as you can. I found I used my PPC less and less as time went on.
    Ditto here on a Treo 600 to HP h6365 transition. I came back to the Treo within a week. But I sold my 600 (650 on order) and I'm going to have to give the h6365 another shot.

Todd/Indy
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast