Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was at a small Sprint store just north of the golden gate bridge within the past hour. Had a long conversation with manager. He says that they will have some mid November, but in very limited quantities. He expected that he would only get 2 or 3 per week.

Additionally, he said that they will not take names for anyone who is already a Sprint customer. These small shipments are soley for NET NEW customers. Fortunatelly I am with AT&T and he took my card to call me when one comes in, since I committed to him that I would drop AT&T and sign a new contract with Sprint. He also mention that even in this little store he has at least 50 inquiries.

For what it is worth he told me that they get there inventory shipments on Mondays around lunchtime, and that just to be sure I should come in each Monday (yes even though he took my card, its still first come first served).

he said to expect real general availability after the first of the year.
    Ironic that the way the distribution channels work they have a disincentive to sell to existing customers. That's just bad business, but if I ran a retail outlet I'd do the same thing because they make their money from activations. When I was a T-Mobile subagent I got almost $200 per activation, and data plans counted seperately so if I sold someone a voice plan and a data plan I'd get almost $400. Compare that to a few bucks or even worse a loss for a handset and you understand why these places operate the way they do.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimHy
    These small shipments are soley for NET NEW customers.
    No matter what excuse they give, sprint stores are not suppose to be doing this!!! This same thing was said to me back in 2002 when the Sanyo 5300 first came out. I went to a sprint store to purchase it, and as I was about to pay for the phone and they asked about which service plan I wanted....I told them that I was an existing customer and did not need one. They immediately said that the phones were for new customers only. I got in an argument with the sales rep and then with the manager. Once I realized that I wasn't getting any where with them I picked up the "red" Phone and told them what was happing. To make a long story short... the manager on the phone apologized for my inconvenience gave me a $150 credit to my account, they asked to speak to the store manager and 10min later they were selling me a new phone! There is nowhere in writing that makes this lea gel!
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    It's completely legal, Fittske. The only illegal bases for discrimination are against protected classes (race, creed, religion, handicap, sex, age, maybe a few others I've forgotten). Go read the Uniform Trade Code if you don't believe me.
    Well then I'd just threaten to drop them. I'd probably more than threaten too. I understand they want to acquire new customers, but that's why new customers get the promotions.

The right to buy should be the same for all people. And I think you could probably challenge this in a court of law. I'm not sure if you'd win, but I think a lawyer would likely take your case if you wanted to pay him/her.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    It's completely legal, Fittske. The only illegal bases for discrimination are against protected classes (race, creed, religion, handicap, sex, age, maybe a few others I've forgotten). Go read the Uniform Trade Code if you don't believe me.
    I never said it was illegal! All I said that it wasn't in writing and no one could show any proof that this policy existed! All I know is they better be prepared to show this to me in writing or I will be going through the same song and dance if they try and pull this crap again.
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    there is legal based on law and there is corporate policy "legal"
    if a store is jacking customers (so that their store looks good signing up all the new customers by saying hey we have the ALL NEW TREO 650 AND ITS ONLY FOR NEW CUSTOMERS) and they dont give it to their FAITHFUL customers, well then in the long run the guys on the red phone know that while this store will show up with a gold start next to its name for bringing in the most customers this month, that viral word of mouth in places such as this website and mouth to mouth telling people sprint does not honor their existing customers will lead to greater numbers of people leaving sprint in the long run.

Why?

People remember and repeat the bad much more than they do the good.

If a sprint store tried to do this to me, i would bury them.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    By the way....the Manager that pulled that carp was fired the next week by corporate.... ( I had a friend that worked in the store who told me.)
    My Phone history.....
    This kind of thing infuriates me. I had the same problem when buying the T600 since they (Sprint) would not give me any kind of discount since I was an existing customer, and had been for 3 years. I finally got hold of a manager and told her that it was obvious to me that Sprint was only interested in aquiring new customers and not about their existing customer base. I was then offered a $150 discount if I signed a 2 yr contract (My original contract expired and I'm happy to keep it that way). I told the person that sucked too and why the hell should I have to sign another contract when I've been a customer for 3+ years. I have the impression that I'll be going through the same old ****e this time around !!!!

Perhaps 1 day Sprint will learn that they have to take care of their existing customers first.
  10.    #10  
    I know that existing Sprint customers would be mad if this were the policy, but I quite frankly don't really see a problem with it. Sprint spent money to help in the development of the Treo, and it appears obvious that until after the end of the year the supply will be limited. Should'nt they use the limited quantities that they get for what provides the best return on their investment? I don't see this as being any different than any other company selling new products to target customers. I know that it is easy for me to say since I am not a Sprint customer, but then again I was not invited to the roadshows, and does it chap my a** knowing that some loyal Sprint customers will end up paying hunderds of dollars less then me for the 650? No not really, it business and the company is doing whats best for them. Just my 2 cents for what its worth
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jimHy
    I know that it is easy for me to say since I am not a Sprint customer
    But what will happen when you do become a Sprint customer and next year when the treo 700 comes out? When you go to purchase it they tell you to go to hell because you are an existing customer?!?!?

If this is a TRUE policy then PUT IT IN WRITING!!!!

If not, sell me the D*** Phone!
    My Phone history.....
    I think it's fairly simple that if Sprint wants to limit it to their existing customers, then don't be an existing customer. Sure they'll acquire a new one by selling the Treo 650 to someone new, but they'll probably lose 3-5 that are peeved at the plan. If they find that a winning formula, then it's fine by me.
    I have been a sprint customer for about 4 years, same complaints on new verses old customers. I happen to like sprint because the service has been pretty good all things considered. I did however get into to an email discussion back and forth last week about this very subject and how it seems that have little concern for existing customers in good standing. This whole thing with discounts for new customers is all fine to attract new business but I see little incentive in not offering that same discount for current customers just wanting to "buy up". Sends sort of a bad message since no matter what you do, a change in phone or change in plan, they ALL require a new contract. A new contract to me is essentially like being a new customer. It does not make sense. In the end however, they did over me a $75 discount which oddly enough they said I could have applied as a credit to my account rather than the mail rebate crap.
    So, I made some good headway.
    Eric
    Excuse my typos, nothing like reading your own work after posting it to the world. Geez.
    Eric
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Confucius Says: "New Customer Will Become an Existing Customer in 14 days!"
    My Phone history.....
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    No matter what excuse they give, sprint stores are not suppose to be doing this!!! This same thing was said to me back in 2002 when the Sanyo 5300 first came out. I went to a sprint store to purchase it, and as I was about to pay for the phone and they asked about which service plan I wanted....I told them that I was an existing customer and did not need one. They immediately said that the phones were for new customers only. I got in an argument with the sales rep and then with the manager. Once I realized that I wasn't getting any where with them I picked up the "red" Phone and told them what was happing. To make a long story short... the manager on the phone apologized for my inconvenience gave me a $150 credit to my account, they asked to speak to the store manager and 10min later they were selling me a new phone! There is nowhere in writing that makes this lea gel!
    Happened to me too... sprint customer service claims that they are not aware of this practice and that it's against the corporate policy, but the retail people here do it with every hot phone. you can defintely get them in trouble though...
    FYI

Email shows credit if with Sprint more than 18 months

Click on link to see the text of the email I received recently. It should be available to anyone who is already a customer. So if they sell you the phone they should give you the instant credit.
    Rees
    Yeah every 18 months with Sprint you can get money off a new device. However that doesn't help if they keep the new hot devices for new customers. I'm wondering what they do for me, because I'm not under contract after this month, but it hasn't been 18 months yet.
    is it for sure you get the $150 if your rebate date is up if you are already a customer? mine is up this month...be a great deal if they do this for us who have been with them for a while!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Yeah every 18 months with Sprint you can get money off a new device. However that doesn't help if they keep the new hot devices for new customers. I'm wondering what they do for me, because I'm not under contract after this month, but it hasn't been 18 months yet.
    I have been with Sprint for 4 plus years. I bought by 600 in Feb with a $150 rebate. I just checked on the website and I am eligible again for a $150 rebate. Don't know if it is suppose to be one rebater per 18 months or if you just have to be with them at least 18 months, but I am going to get another $150 rebate.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast