Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    the 18 mo credit is a mail in rebate that takes 6-8 wks to recieve unless u r a customer that spends ALOT of money. Trust me, i work in the store.
    Sprints employees only get 15% off of products at FULL PRICE while customer get instant savings and rebates, so who's really getting screwed?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I have been with Sprint for 4 plus years. I bought by 600 in Feb with a $150 rebate. I just checked on the website and I am eligible again for a $150 rebate. Don't know if it is suppose to be one rebater per 18 months or if you just have to be with them at least 18 months, but I am going to get another $150 rebate.
    Dang it. I've been with Sprint 4+ years too. Bought my 600 a year ago (Nov '03) with the $150 rebate. Website says "no" for my rebate status. You're lucky.
    Don't go by the website rebate status necessarily. For me it was off because it was showing that I got a new phone this summer. I DID, but it was a warranty replacement! That's not supposed to count. The store I went into looked me up and said there would be no problem, I would still get the credit.
    Quote Originally Posted by wahili

If a sprint store tried to do this to me, i would bury them.
    Speaking of you 'burying' people - I was curious about your previous post in a thread about purchasing Treos on e-bay. You stated that you collected data and got someone fined and thrown in jail for a few months. Perhaps you have a docket number for that case? I'm interested to hear more about how you did this.

Also, how exactly would you go about 'burying' a Sprint store in this situation?

Sincerely,
    Tibby.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    I know with our local Sprint store, they don't make any money, or very little, from selling a new phone to an existing Sprint customer. The only time they make money is if they sign a new customer up for Sprint service. This is the way Sprint has structured it so Sprint is partly to blame also.
    Where on the online account does it say the rebate status? I couldn't find it.

On the bright side, I noticed that I free calling at 8, instead of the 9PM that I thought I had.
    I've heard if you threaten to leave, they'll have you speak to someone in the retention dept and they'll give you the rebate even if you aren't eligible. that's what a friend of mine did a little while back.
    Sprint is like that. Threaten to leave (contract or not) and you will get somewhere. I have the treo 600 which I broke and Dec 18 is my year. They said I could not get any discount on a new one. I went down the whole line of discussion on existing customers verses new...why do we get treated bad, blah blah. In the end they offered me a $75 rebate. Also, a couple years ago, when I soaked a lower grade phone on my boat, I threatened to cancel and they sent me a free replacement phone. You wont likely succeed like that on a high end phone like the 600 though I tried.

Eric
    bmacfarland,

Go to www.sprintrebates.com to check your upgrade status and eligibility date.

Zane
    Guys, the reason that some of the Sprint stores will try to offer the new Treo 650 to new customers only is because of the payment structure. The Store (and the salesperson) are paided for the new contract by Sprint corporate. For example, (this data is from a meeting back in June 2002 between myself and a Sprint Mechant Account manager...I was going to open a cell phone store...until I found out there was little money in it) Sprint will pay the store for selling a new contract to a new customer. I can not give you the amounts, due to the agreement I signed, but all the cellular service providers do the same thing. I had meetings with AT&T, Cingular, Nextel, Verizon, Alltel, Cricket...they all have similar payment schemes.

If the store sells less than 25 new contracts....their payments are $0.00 if they sell 25-49 new contracts...their payments are $x.xx

24 or less = $0.00
    25-49 = $XX.XX
    50-99 = $YY.YY
    100-149= $ZZ.ZZ
    150+ = $DD.DD

these are for volume bonus. If it is a Co-Op store, they also give you $15 per activation. If you activate a calling plan, then you get paid based on the plan cost:

below $29.99 plan = $0.00
    $29.99 plan =$xx.xx
    $30.00-$49.99 =$yy.yy
    $50.00-59.99 = $zzz.zz
    $60.00-79.99 = $DDD.DD
    $80.00 + = $QQQ.QQ

also, if the customer upgrades service after 6 month, the store gets an upgrade commission $XX.XX, but the store gets nothing if they account is canceled prior to 120 days from activation. THEY ARE CHARGED BACK ALL THE MONEY THAT THEY WERE PAID. As for the sale of the phone....yeah, they make a little bit of money about $20 - $40 dollars on average per phone....that would not even pay the rental fee on the site for the store. Keep in mind a strong store would sell about 100-150 phones per month (and that is damn good sales) that includeds old and new customers. 100-150 PHONES...not contracts. so you can see the incentive is to sell a new contract so that the sales person can make a part of the commission that the store will receive. As I stated earlier...all the cellular service providers do this, this is not unique to Sprint. So as you can see the money lies in selling the new contract...none of the cellular service providers will pay a single penny if you sell to an existing customer. They give you NOTHING! All you make is the markup on the phone.

Also, just to note, the stores make no profit on the phones or the contracts...they just make enough to pay their overhead and employees. Where they make all there money is on the accesories. They can purchase any...and I mean ANY accesories they want, packaged with their name branding for about $0.93-$0.98 per piece. Leather cases, car chargers, whatever you can think of are bought by the store for less than one dollar packaged and ready to sell. So the trick is to sell the customer at least 2-3 accesories per phone sold. Back in 2002, the average price for accesories were about $19.99 for higher. If you are moving 100+ phones and you are selling 2 accesories per phone and selling for $14.99, not even $19.99, you would make less than $3000.00 profit from the sales of accesories. Now keep in mind that the phone sales and contract sales, volume bonus and Co-op if you are a Co-op store, would already pay for the store overhead and employees. So to make only $3000.00 per month is crap money for a business....Now keep in mind that some months will sell more phones and other monthes will sell less (stores are making about $3000-8,000 in profit...depending on if it is run with employees or the owners work the store themselves and save on payroll).

Keep in mind this information is old and while it is still the same system in place the dollar amounts have changed and plan may have been tweeked (for example Sprint did not at the time offer more money for selling voice mail, 3 way calling etc...but Cingular and some of the others did). Also, when I was having these meeting the 3G network was just being talked about, and everyone and their bother had a cell phone. There was not much of an outlook for selling many new phones, till the camera phones started showing up. I do not know what the current average sales are for a store these days. But I have noticed that with all the new phones and the added features...people are buying phone once again....also, when I go into a cell phone store, I find that I have to wait to be served....not sure if that is just because they are unwilling to hire more people (or can not make the numbers work for them with more people on the payroll) or if it is just that many more number of cell phones that they are selling these days versus what was considered a high volume store back in 2002. Anyway...hope this information is useful.
    sorry...not in the mood to read all that...
    Quote Originally Posted by JOV3
    sorry...not in the mood to read all that...

Then don't...it wasn't posted for you.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Thanks, John! Remind me not to open a cell phone store.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    bmacfarland,

Go to www.sprintrebates.com to check your upgrade status and eligibility date.

Zane
    Thanks for the link!
    I have to wait until February 2005 to qualify for the 18 month rebate.
    geeeez... to get the rebate...just do what I did to get my 600... I had r phones on shared min plan with sprint..added another line with an out of state phone # for grandma who lives in IL.. so we get to talk for free and its much cheaper then the $400 a year she was paying for a phone she kept for emergencies &seldom used....well..by adding the 3rd line got the treo 600 on it with $150 rebate for activating new line...then I had all the phone #s switched...treo to my #, my old phone to my wifes #, and my wifes old phone to the new # & sent that phone to grandma in IL. I did all this @ sprint store in about 45 min. now because I don't have rebate coming on my phone yet..my wifes does... so I will get the 650 with that rebate then have phone #s swapped so I get the 650 with my #...she wants to keep her phone..& I can then sell 600 on ebay... FOLLOW ME?
    confucius said... just not literally...

"If you don't see it as new you are no longer seeing." --F.H.H. 2004.11.06
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    geeeez... to get the rebate...just do what I did to get my 600... I had r phones on shared min plan with sprint..added another line with an out of state phone # for grandma who lives in IL.. so we get to talk for free and its much cheaper then the $400 a year she was paying for a phone she kept for emergencies &seldom used....well..by adding the 3rd line got the treo 600 on it with $150 rebate for activating new line...then I had all the phone #s switched...treo to my #, my old phone to my wifes #, and my wifes old phone to the new # & sent that phone to grandma in IL. I did all this @ sprint store in about 45 min. now because I don't have rebate coming on my phone yet..my wifes does... so I will get the 650 with that rebate then have phone #s swapped so I get the 650 with my #...she wants to keep her phone..& I can then sell 600 on ebay... FOLLOW ME?
    However, when you switch phone numbers on these phones, even when its under the same account, you void the warranty. When I bought my T600, I gave my dad my N400 (Even though we all live in different states, we're all under my mom's Corporate Account). When it broke a couple months ago, SPCS said they would not replace it because of the warranty issue.
    we have lockline insurance on all the phones..have replaced numerous times without difficulty...im on my 4th t600. you'd be an ***** not tohave insurance...especially on the treo!
    btw..we have sprint... & phone warranty not affected by the phone #..only by how long ya had the phone...guess you got ripped eh?
    To summerize what John JHF1 wrote

Old customer means you are already paying Sprint for their service. The cost of the phone is meaningless to Sprint, its all about the service. So, no major income goes to Sprint and they will not be interested in you very much. New customers are not paying Sprint for service, therefore a brand new Treo 650 drawing you into the store to get service you might otherwise not want is very good business for Sprint and a pain in the **** for current Sprint customers.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast