Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am trying to figure out what would be the advantage of paying for pocket tunes. I downloaded real player for free and it works great.

I am only using this to play mp3. I would appreciate a comparison from someone that has used both programs.

Thanks
    If you register your Treo at PalmOne yo ucan get the basic PTunes for free.
    Streaming audio
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    I have used Pocket Tunes 2.3.4 Basic, the last version whose license came free with a Treo 600. I just installed RealPlayer. I can compare these.

RealPlayer Palm integrates with RealPlayer on your PC, which should make it easier to synchronize song files. With Pocket Tunes, I manually move files into the right directories in my SD card, which is a minor hassle.

RealPlayer Palm has facilities for creating, editing, and choosing playlists. In effect, Pocket Tunes only allows one playlist and it is limited to songs in a single directory. Correction: I am an ***. PocketTunes has identical playlist facilities, as ChemEngr has helpfully pointed out.

On the other hand, Pocket Tunes can use different skins, and is in general much more configurable -- cross-fading, volume levels, integration with Treo controls, etc..

The biggest difference is in which media types they support. RealPlayer Palm will let you play DRMed songs you bought on the RealPlayer Music Store, which are encoded in the RealPlayer media format, which is, I presume, tighter than MP3. RealPlayer Palm also claims to be able to play unDRMed AAC files. That was the reason I just installed it, hoping to play the unDRMed AAC files in my iTunes collection. But it's not showing the files, so I'm going to delete the app.

I don't use RealPlayer to manage the music on my PC, so I'm going to stick with Pocket Tunes. I've had bad experiences with Real software before. In fact, just in the course of playing around with it, triggered a soft reset when I hit the home key in middle of listening to a track.

Last, I should note that the latest version of Pocket Tunes integrates with Windows Media Player, so if you're willing to pay then that would be the obvious choice if you use WMP to manage your PC music. Alas, nothing is available for the Treo that integrates smoothly with or even plays the AAC files of iTunes.
    Last edited by alexis_gallaghe; 11/05/2004 at 02:36 PM. Reason: gross error on my part.
    Realplayer is a big waste of space.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexis_gallaghe
    In effect, Pocket Tunes only allows one playlist and it is limited to songs in a single directory.
    I have three playlists at the moment and allowed to create more (pTunes 2.3.4 Basic). Did you miss something?
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr
    I have three playlists at the moment and allowed to create more (pTunes 2.3.4 Basic). Did you miss something?
    You're right, I'm wrong. I never got in the habit of using it, and then forgot it was there! Thanks for the correction.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    On the Treo 650, why won't Real Player see the mp3's that I transferred into a "Music" folder on the SD card? I just copied them using an SD drive on my computer.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemore
    On the Treo 650, why won't Real Player see the mp3's that I transferred into a "Music" folder on the SD card? I just copied them using an SD drive on my computer.

Thanks.
    You music needs to be in either of the following default directories:

/AUDIO

or

/RN_AUDIO

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Actually as far as Real Player is concerned, SD_AUDIO works OK too...I think any directory with AUDIO is probably fine!
    Overall, I'm really unimpressed by realplayer and hope they improve it in the next ROM update. It's got major skipping problems when i switch programs, or use ShadowPlan...this even happens with my standard size 128kbps MP3s.

On the other hand, PocketTunes 2.3.4 crashed frequently on my Treo 600, and it would frequently lose its skin and fallback to an all-text interface -- I could only fix this by resynching pTunes.prc.

Is there any MP3 solution for the Treo that doesn't suck? Should I pay for the upgrade to Pocket Tunes 3?
    FWIW, pTunes 2.3.4 Basic hardly ever crashes on my Treo 600. A random suggestion: given what you said, is it possible you were using a dodgy skin? I'm using "High Fidelity - Low Res"
    I refuse to install Real Player (on my Treo or elsewhere) simply on principle. Quicktime and Windows Media Player on the desktop meet my needs just fine, and Pocket Tunes on my Treo.
    You guys actually got streaming to work on Pocket Tunes Dlx ? I'm on VerizonWireless and even with 4 full bars, mine buffers every 10 seconds so it's basically useless. What am I doing wrong ?
    PT works great for me. Had it for over a year and I can honestly say I don't think I've ever had one problem (e.g., resets, skin issues). Not one. How many things can you say that for?

Love it even more on the 650 with hi-res skins and faster processor.
    Real Player sucks when you have full albums listed in different folders. All the songs have to be in the same folder. What were they thinking?
    alexis: I wasn't using any optional skins with pTunes 2.3.4 -- the one I was having trouble with was, in fact, High Fidelity - Low Res.

I'm thinking about going back to pTunes on my 650 now, though. Does it integrate with the side buttons like RealPlayer?
    PT does integrate with the volume buttons on the side, on the 600 at least.
    if you guys also use mmplayer to view movies it is also a music player so now on the 650 you'll have the realplayer you cant get rid of ptuns for music and streaming and mmplayer for movies as well as music... such redandency (sp?) shame for the wasted memory
    Can someone email or PM me a link to get Ptunes basic?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast