1.    #1  
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1040_22-5435211.html?tag=nl

From the article: "PalmOne representatives disputed the contents of the research note, from Needham & Co. The note said that PalmOne "tacitly admitted" it was working to make Microsoft's operating system available on the popular Treo line of phones. The devices currently use PalmSource's Palm OS, and PalmOne is PalmSource's biggest customer."
    Search, Search, Search...
    It's looking obvious that PalmOne has considered other operating systems. Even their denials are half hearted. I would imagine that they wouldn't want people to find out about their test because fewer companies would buy into their current OS if it was going to be switched, but it's clear that they've been testing and weighing their options.
    The new Palmsource Chair is the former founder of the Be operating system, so there is some prior expertise there.
    I just received an e-mailed survey request from PalmOne, and at one point it asked:

Thinking about the next smartphone you would buy, which of the following statements best describes you? Check one answer only.

I would only consider a smartphone with the Palm operating system
    I would consider a smartphone with another operating system, but would prefer one with the Palm operating system
    I would only consider a smartphone with the MicroSoft Windows Mobile operating system
    I would consider a smartphone with another operating system, but would prefer one with the Windows Mobile operating system
    I would consider a smartphone with any operating system and have no preference
    I got that survey too.

I put 'only with Palm operating system'