1.    #1  
    Hi all-

I've been using VNC onf my WinXP machine for a long time now and love it. I just got a T600 recently and found PlamVNC which has also been talked about on this board.

My question is, the scaling feature in PalmVNC does not seem to work. I can only view in 1:1. If I select 1:4, for instance, nothing happens.

I am using WinVNC 3.3.7 and PalmVNC 2.0. I believe that recent releases of WinVNC do not allow scaling unless you pay for the enterprise version, but I believe the version I have is before they made that change.

Thanks.
    -Adam
    Try using ultr@vnc on your desktop, I have been able to get scaling to work that program.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

3.    #3  
    Tekara, thanks, I will look into ultr@vnc and try it out. I do have WinVNC running on a few machines and the client running on other machines so ultimately I would like to see if anyone has had positive experiences resizing the desktop using WinVNC. If I can't get that to work I will certainly try ultr@vnc.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    Tekara, thanks, I will look into ultr@vnc and try it out. I do have WinVNC running on a few machines and the client running on other machines so ultimately I would like to see if anyone has had positive experiences resizing the desktop using WinVNC. If I can't get that to work I will certainly try ultr@vnc.

Thanks!
    I had the same problem. It would disconnect when resizing. The solution, as Tekara mentioned, is to use PalmVNC or UltraVNC on the desktop machine.
    What version of PalmVNC on the Treo are you using? I'm running v2.0.5 build 214 and when I connect to the desktop everything starts good but then the connection is dropped and my Treo locks up? Any ideas?

Thanks
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by airunz
    What version of PalmVNC on the Treo are you using? I'm running v2.0.5 build 214 and when I connect to the desktop everything starts good but then the connection is dropped and my Treo locks up? Any ideas?

Thanks
    I have the same version of PalmVNC as you do. I don't lose my connection until I try to resize. Otherwise it seems to work well, but there's just too much desktop space to see on a Treo screen without being able to resize.

Can I run PalmVNC and WinVNC on my desktop at the same time? I'm not sure if there's any advantage to this, but I still want to be able to access my PC from other Windows PCs so I need WinVNC.
    You can just run PalmVNC / UltraVnc. The clients are usually interchangeable. In other words you can still use WinVNC client to access an UltraVNC machine. I haven't tested WinVNC but I can run an UltraVNC (same as PalmVNC) server and connect using TightVNC or RealVNC. I would be WinVNC would work too.
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    You need a server-side that supports screen scaling. I always load this:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...re&prodid=7778
  9.    #9  
    Well my server-side is WinVNC (from realvnc.com) and it does support scaling because I can do it from other Windows machines with the WinVNC client. If I also run the PalmVNC server-side on my machine, would it have to listen on a different port? I don't think I could have two things listening on the same port right?

EDIT: Ok, it looks like on the PalmVNC site you can download the PalmVNC viewer with either Ultr@VNC or WinVNC.

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

It is saying it comes with WinVNC 3.3.3r7. I have 3.3.7, not sure if there is a difference. I will try it when I get a chance.
    Last edited by AdamF; 11/04/2004 at 02:53 PM.
    You don't have to intsall any of the palmvnc stuff onto your desktop, vnc is now more-or-less a standard. You can just go to ultr@vnc's webpage and download and install their server. And then just put palmvnc on your palm.

That is how I have mine set up and it works great.
    "The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai
    "Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous

11.    #11  
    Sorry I mis-spoke when I said "PalmVNC server-side". Yes, I agree PalmVNC client will connect to most any VNC server. So, if I can get it to scale with Ultr@VNC then I guess I don't need WinVNC server.
  12.    #12  
    Ok, got it working. Basicallt the version of WinVNC that I had was 3.3.7 and it needs to be 3.3.3r7. I guess the later release got rid of server-side scaling. It still has client-side but not server-side. So, I uninstalled the WinVNC version that I had and installed WinVNC Server 3.3.3r7 from:

http://palmvnc2.free.fr/

...and scaling works now. To be honest, I hate the fact that I have to use an older version to get it working but in the end it works. The older version works fine just not as easy to setup as 3.3.7 IMO.