Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    The wifi card wouldn't work in the Treo 600 because there wasn't enough internal power to make it work. I don't know if the Treo 650 will be different.
    We don't know that for sure. I haven't seen any official or technical word to that respect, just rumors. If you have a definitive that would be great.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    We don't know that for sure. I haven't seen any official or technical word to that respect, just rumors. If you have a definitive that would be great.
    According to a National Sales Manager for Sprint, it is confirmed the 650 will not support a wifi card.
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treotim
    I understand there are some people out there who may need wifi on their Treo (I especially understand that people with disconnected PDA's or on expensive data plans may need wifi), but the point is I don't think it's a majority - or even close. I do think it is a very vocal minority. With that said, I understand why palmone chose not to include it (and the extra cost - no matter how slight that is) in the 650.

Feel free to flame if you must, but just my 2 cents.
    No need to flame you Tim my only problem with what you have said is I personally don't think it is a minority of people who want wifi. Especially outside of the US.

To back my statement up - as has been pointed out in this and other threads , if WiFi is so unwanted why do almost all of the PPC phone edition (and non phone edition) devices coming out now have built in wifi (motorolla MPX, Benq P50, HP 6315 and PDA2k). I don't understand why they would increase their production costs just for the fun of it? And it is not like one individual manufacturer is obsessed with wifi, each of the 4 latest just released or about to be released WM2003PE devices I listed are from different manufacturers.

Is Palm the only company that can do market research? who is right? On one hand we have Palm who aren't integrating wifi into Treo or new non phone models like the T5 or on the other hand we have the PPC manufacturers who are offering integrating wifi in most of their ranges: HTC, Dell, HP, Benq, motorolla, Fujitsu etc
    Last edited by joele; 11/06/2004 at 12:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    According to a National Sales Manager for Sprint, it is confirmed the 650 will not support a wifi card.
    Here was Mossberg's summary in one review:

"But there are some drawbacks. The internal memory available to the user is still paltry, at 23 megabytes, which is actually a little less than the 600 offered. There's no Wi-Fi wireless networking, and the built-in camera, while improved, is still low resolution at a time when other cellphone cameras are offering higher resolution.

Plus, in my tests, the preproduction Treo 650 I had crashed several times, and so did the Palm synchronization software, which has always been solid as a rock. PalmOne will have to solve these problems by launch."
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
    Just use your laptop.....whoever falls on this arguement either never travels or never uses their convergence device for business. There are so many situations a laptop is not either convenient or impractical or impossible to use that it is ridiculous....i.e. I cannot use my laptop in the car to get my email, sitting in an airport, during a business meeting and need facts fast.

Increasingly for me, the Treo is a laptop substitute. Add Wi-Fi and a little more speed, and it would be rare that I'd need a laptop. I bring along a plug in keyboard, use Docs To Go--life is simple and easy. I do understand that it is not that simple for everyone who may have different work requirements. But for me .... wi-fi would indeed be a killer app.
    If it doesn't have a slot for SDHC--I don't want it. Period.
    Wow, you don't get national data in The States?

I am Very surprised by that. We may pay more here in Canada but at least we get National coverage.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillin_
    Wow, you don't get national data in The States?

I am Very surprised by that. We may pay more here in Canada but at least we get National coverage.
    Yes. All data plans I'm aware of are nationwide coverage plans. Some technologies, of course, are not available everywhere (such as EVDO). My Sprint data plan is 1xRTT and EVDO inclusive, unlimited data anywhere on Sprint's nationwide network for US$15/month.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by techvulture
    BUT, this is big, as was clearly stated by the Palm guys at todays Roadshow in Dallas: "We CAN'T sell these devices except THRU the carriers!" So, until Sprint figures out how to bill you for the minutes you rack up with VoIP over WiFi instead of on their tower, don't hold your breath waiting.
    That's the key to the issue.

Palm could design a phone to include wi-fi, but some carriers will want it disabled to encourage (ie. force) their customers to rack up data minutes.

And you guys in the USA have it great compared to us Canadians. You get unlimited data for about HALF the price we have to pay for 100MB of data per month. ( $20-40/month vs. $80/month). EDIT: or $15 per month as posted just above!!!

personally, wi-fi would be nice but I would rather get a Palm TX for that job. Im actually considering selling my Treo 650 to get a TX and get a celphone with bluetooth.
    By MICHELLE ROBERTS, Associated Press Writer Sun Dec 11, 2:05 PM ET

TEMPE, Ariz. - Call it a municipal status symbol in the digital age: a city blanketed by a wireless Internet network, accessible at competitive prices throughout the town's homes, cafes, offices and parks.

Tempe, the Phoenix suburb that is home to Arizona State University, is due to have wireless Internet available for all of its 160,000 residents in February, becoming the first city of its size in the United States to have Wi-Fi throughout.

Tempe officials hope that by making high-speed Internet as accessible as water or electricity across its 40 square miles, it will attract more technology and biotech companies and the young, upwardly mobile employees they bring.

An increasing number of the nation's cities are looking at using Internet access as an economic development tool. Few cities have gotten as far as installing systems, "but most cities are realizing that it may be something that they want to do," said Cheryl Leanza, legislative counsel for the National League of Cities.

Philadelphia is developing a citywide high-speed system with EarthLink Inc. Unlike Philly or Tempe, New Orleans is building a free system, though the network speed will be limited.

The Tempe network is being installed by NeoReach Wireless, a subsidiary of Bethesda, Md.-based MobilePro Corp. Roughly 400 antenna boxes mounted on light poles throughout the city will be used to stitch together the network, to which NeoReach will sell access, primarily through other providers.

The network uses a so-called "mesh" setup, meaning it passes wireless signals from pole to pole and automatically reroutes transmissions if one of the transmitters breaks down.

Speeds will vary depending on the number of users logged into the same access point.

The network is strong enough only to be picked up outdoors or through one wall, meaning those who want service in their businesses or homes will need a box that serves as a signal booster and router.

The city of Tempe gave the company access to its light poles in exchange for use of the network in transmitting data to and from city offices and vehicles, said Karrie Rockwell, a spokeswoman for NeoReach.

Two hours of free access each day also will be available for Internet users on the Arizona State campus or the nearby Mill Avenue retail district, where the network began a year ago as a pilot project and has proven popular.

Robert Jenkins, 50, sits at a coffee house on Mill Avenue a couple of times a week with his laptop, downloading larger files that take too long at home when he uses his mobile phone to access the Internet.

NeoReach will directly sell service to outdoor users for $3.95 per hour or $29.95 per month. The resellers of NeoReach access have not yet announced pricing, but Rockwell said it will be cheaper than DSL or cable Internet access. Cable operator Cox Communications Inc. charges $49.95 per month for customers who don't get Cox phone or TV service. Qwest Communications International Inc. charges $44.99 and $54.99 per month, depending on the speed.

Tempe signed a contract with NeoReach after asking for bids which prevented it from having to start its own utility and probably quelled potential objections to the city's involvement in a Wi-Fi network.

Elsewhere in the nation, cities have run into heavy resistance from telecom companies, which argue that the free market should dictate the cost and availability of service.

At least 14 states have passed laws limiting municipal Internet service, and other states are expected to consider similar limits, Leanza said. Arizona does not have such a law.

___
    Quote Originally Posted by techvulture
    BUT, this is big, as was clearly stated by the Palm guys at todays Roadshow in Dallas: "We CAN'T sell these devices except THRU the carriers!" So, until Sprint figures out how to bill you for the minutes you rack up with VoIP over WiFi instead of on their tower, don't hold your breath waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by rye&ginger
    That's the key to the issue.

Palm could design a phone to include wi-fi, but some carriers will want it disabled to encourage (ie. force) their customers to rack up data minutes.

And you guys in the USA have it great compared to us Canadians. You get unlimited data for about HALF the price we have to pay for 100MB of data per month. ( $20-40/month vs. $80/month). EDIT: or $15 per month as posted just above!!!

personally, wi-fi would be nice but I would rather get a Palm TX for that job. Im actually considering selling my Treo 650 to get a TX and get a celphone with bluetooth.
    Time has proven the "Palm guys at todays Roadshow in Dallas" wrong. (that post was over a year old, after all
    )

- Palm sells unlocked GSM Treos direct that still do not include WiFi.
    - Sprint sells PocketPC phones that do have WiFi.

There may be all kinds of reasons Treos don't have WiFi but I don't believe the carriers' desire to be one of them.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...
    Yes not in all cases, but a carrier here in Canada, Telus, goes out of their way to cripple features on their phones that would allow the user to transfer data freely. They have very few phones with unrestricted BT (eg. they only allow Bt headsets to pair up, no transfering between phones or PCs) , and etc... GSM carriers seem more open to BT/WiFi on their offerings.
    The same "Wifi isn't necessary!" attitude is everywhere... no matter what kind of forum you go to.

Alas, as a VW owner who wanted a 5-door sport hatchback when I was in the market 5 years ago ... I STILL routinely get complained at by haters who think "4 doors aren't in the spirit of the GTI!", never mind the fact that the 2/3-door will still be sold here in the USA when we finally get the 5-door next summer. I routinely see people continually whining about people who want a given model to be available as a hatchback or wagon with reasons like "hatchbacks are for sissies" and such, never mind the fact that they are more practical, etc. etc.

Basically, you'll see whiners everywhere you go who think that just because THEY don't like feature X, they don't think ANYONE should have the choice to have feature X. That everything should conform to THEIR view of the world.

Such people need to relax and ease up on the whining. Other people are going to need things you don't. Support them ... otherwise, when something YOU need isn't available, no one will be there for you!

(I've been modifying the car on my own, spending money with aftermarket suppliers to get the stuff VW refused to sell me directly, and I've written to VW management letting them know how much money they could have had if they'd met my need! Companies will realize the folly of ignoring real customer desires if enough people write.)
    by the time we all get wi-fi in Treos, devices using WiMax will start showing up on the market.

Greg
    Quote Originally Posted by phurth
    Yes. All data plans I'm aware of are nationwide coverage plans. Some technologies, of course, are not available everywhere (such as EVDO). My Sprint data plan is 1xRTT and EVDO inclusive, unlimited data anywhere on Sprint's nationwide network for US$15/month.
    You may have misunderstood me. I was not implying that the data plans were regional I was refering to H.I.R.'s post where he said that you don't get national data (at least in the real world, not "on paper")

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    • it's a cell phone use your carrier, stupid....in the US that is NOT an option if you roam. If you are out of coverage and in Roam....you loose ALL DATA TRANSFER options through your cell phone carrier!

Even though Sprint has a pretty good coverage area, there are still HUGE chunks of the US that are roaming. I am often times in roaming mode in backwaters, OR, ID, CA, and WY. When you roam...No Vision...No Vision then No Data....No Data then No Internet....No Internet then No Email or Web Access. No Internet or Email Access then I am tough out of luck while sitting in a McDonalds with Wifi waves flying all around me begging to be used for free.

Take a look at the light green on the Sprint map for OR, WA, ID, and WY and you will see what I am talking about, as all of that area has NO data access with the carrier.

EDIT: Here is a link to see how much of the US is still in Digital Roaming: http://www.sprintpcs.com/common/popu...alRoaming.html
    My point was there is no Roaming in Canada. Well at least on the only good network (Rogers). There is one and only one GSM network, so we get our data anywhere and everywhere.
    Soylent Green Is People

My Current Weather For Vancouver, BC
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123