1.    #1  
    According to Dana from PalmOne technical support PalmOne cannot comment on any technical questions related to the Treo 650. I guess PalmOne still has to make an official announcement once the Treo 650 is released to the public. On that day many issues and questions might become more clear. I do still have hope for the WiFi driver for the Treo 650. Please don't flame me for hoping WiFi. If you don't like it don't comment just ignore my post.

Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support again. This is still Dana responding to your recent email. You were requesting palmOne for a formal public announcement on the Wi-Fi® capability for Treo™ 650.

We, from palmOne technical support can’t comment on any unreleased products since this is not yet out in the market. As of the moment, I want to inform you that we are not yet trained for Treo 650 product. Once this product is released we’ll be very happy to answer any questions you may have. You may visit our website from time to time for more updates

Thanks,

Al
    Not flaming you, just this question has been answered on the board several times. In response to several inquiries at the trad show and at Road show the President of Palmone committed to creating a working driver for the 650 for thier existing WiFi card.

At my roadshow, the VP reiterated what the president said. I can guarantee that driver is not done yet, as it was a post announcement decision based on Treo user response.
    There's also a Palm exec by the name of Greg Shirai that said that the wifi card interferes with the radio and it's simply not a matter of drivers being written.

It's hard to say who is more informed, but for now I think the two statements negate eachother and we are back to where we were before either statement was made.
    As with the Cobalt-release-last-December snafu, what the CEO says, goes.

If they do NOT do what the CEO has publically stated they WILL do, then they have opened themselves up to the exact same shareholder problems as PSRC did.

They'll develop a driver and release it - bet on it.

Don't bet on the quality, though...giggle.
    [QUOTE=bmacfarland]There's also a Palm exec by the name of Greg Shirai that said that the wifi card interferes with the radio and it's simply not a matter of drivers being written.
    QUOTE]

Yep. I think the "driver" comment was a SPIN. Palm knows there is emerging competition. In addition, they watch this site and know that A LOT of people were pissed about Wifi. The reality here is... the "hope" of Wifi is enough for people to purchase and they know this. This is exactly the same spin they did last year with the Treo 600.

SDIO Wifi was promised ON THE BOX of the Treo 600. I am not sure why anyone would believe them now. I don't.
    Promised on the box? You mean the Handspring box?

You realize that was a different company right?
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by treo-mike

Well, technically, Palmone and Handspring are the same now...although Handspring never produced.

Nope, when the Treo 600's were sold at the end of 2003 it was good ole PalmOne selling them. If I remember correctly it was October 29th, 2003 when it was official. Palm & Handspring already agreed in June of 2003. http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/288-1.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor

It doesnt matter.

When you aquire a company, you aquire ALL of the company. Including the misleading marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by farzonalmaneih
    Yep. I think the "driver" comment was a SPIN. Palm knows there is emerging competition. In addition, they watch this site and know that A LOT of people were pissed about Wifi. The reality here is... the "hope" of Wifi is enough for people to purchase and they know this. This is exactly the same spin they did last year with the Treo 600.
    You sir are spot on.

Anyone who purchases the phone based only upon this crap we have been fed ... er ... "spin" is truely retarded, or a P1 fanboy to the extreme.

Until you have the T650 Wi-Fi card in your hot little hand, assume that it is vaporware. (much like the 3rd party card peddled on the T600 box)
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    You sir are spot on.

Anyone who purchases the phone based only upon this crap we have been fed ... er ... "spin" is truely retarded, or a P1 fanboy to the extreme.

Until you have the T650 Wi-Fi card in your hot little hand, assume that it is vaporware. (much like the 3rd party card peddled on the T600 box)

Here we go again! I can feel the negative vibe already. People like you make good people turn into muderers.

Al
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    I think PalmOne drew up their product planning chart over a year ago, with bluetooth in the 650 and wifi in the first Cobalt phone. I would love to see them release the next phone in 6 months, but have they ever moved that fast? I get the impression that once a year is as fast as they ever want to move.
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    Until you have the T650 Wi-Fi card in your hot little hand, assume that it is vaporware.
    Gee, where have I read THAT before?

Giggle.
    How can the wifi card interefe with the radio when it works just fine on a Pocket PC on a CDMA (Sprint) network for example?
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    There's also a Palm exec by the name of Greg Shirai that said that the wifi card interferes with the radio and it's simply not a matter of drivers being written.

It's hard to say who is more informed, but for now I think the two statements negate eachother and we are back to where we were before either statement was made.
    This is not a real excuse. in many cases one could turn off the phone radio when using the wifi card. This would have the effect of the user making a choice for data access between internet access via wifi or the phone radio. One could argue that you would not be able to use the treo as a phone while using the wifi, but you could use a VoIP phone connection. TMobile does this now with one pocketpc.

The problem is that the other cell phone carriers do not have an incentive to support VoIP. The Cell phone carriers want data access over the phone networks to make them money. WiFi and VoIP defeats that goal.