1.    #1  
    the new 650 looks pretty imprssive. im currently a BB user and i love it. however the abundant software and other features of the up and comming 650 are tempting. so.. i have a few questions.

1. with GSM carries..att in particular. will the treo 600/650 support html browsing? or are they locked to only browse WAP sites through the carriers web portal. ie att's "Mmode". with my blackberry u have to use a special hack to unlock the html browser. att wants you to only be able to browse wap sites through Mmode.(fat chance, im paying 49.99 for ultd data and i want html). so now i can browse html. however the new 7290 blackberry.. i want no one can find a new hack to get around the att wap only browser.

2. second i love the "push" feature of the blackberries. i read the new 650 will support this no? or at least some version of this. having email delivered to ur phone is an important feature to me

3. will the 600/650 support picture attachments "pushed" from pop 3 email providers.(can i view the pics some one sent to my hotmail acct?)

4. reliabilty. the os of the blackberries are rock solid. i hear alot of horror stories about treo 600 users having to hard/soft reset all the time..in the process having to reload applications. this is why i went with the bb to begin with. the os is ROCK solid. i hear from my fellow sales reps(i work in wireless) that the speaker phone has been a huge problem on the 600s. i have heard of people going through 2 or 3 phones. so far, these phones seem to have alot of qc issues. this is 1 reason i never buy something brand new. i wait til its out for a while to let the consumers find all the bugs. with the new 650 on the way. alot of tempting deals can be found on the 600.

5. durability. blackberries can be abused and keep on ticking, i hear/read the treos are far more sensitive.
    1. the treos come with blazer, it can do html sites. and there are other web browsers if you dont like blazer.

2. there are several "push" posibilities with the treo. and there are many more "pull" clients. getting email on the treo is not an issue, u just got to figure out which program/service is for u.

3. yes on pics, but no on hotmail unless you use another service to get your hotmail.

4. i have had my treo for close to a year, i never had to hard reset the device. soft reset are annoying, but usually caused by software. there have been issues with the speaker.

5. it isn't the fall, it is the landing. i have dropped my treo several times and it kept on ticking, but with less paint. if u have bad luck and it lands badly, you may smash your screen.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    If you love your BlackBerry, you might want to stick with it. As the Sys Admin in my office, I've had the oppertunity to play with many mobile e-mail devices.

My company uses Exchange. The only way to get to the Exchange server from outside the network is to establish a VPN connections or use Outlook Web Access. If this is similar to your company, the BlackBerry is the best device for reading your e-mail as the BlackBerry servers can pull mail/contacts/appointments/etc from the web interface and then push them to your device.

For the Treo, I have a client installed on my desktop computer that pushes my Exchange e-mail to Sprint's servers. If my desktop isn't up and running and logged in, I don't get new e-mail. Definitly not ideal (This is with Sprint PCS Business Connection Personal Edition, might be different for Professional...)

So without the support of your Exchange administrator, BlackBerry is hard to beat. If you have your Exhange administrator onboard for the project, you might have better luck with it. Most carriers will give you 7-14 days to make a decision, more if you're a business who's looking for a soultion for mutiple users. If you're unsure, make sure your carrier has a return policy and that you know what the terms of that policy are.
    You can grow out of the sneakernet IT Business Connection Personal Edition with Sprint by going with their Enterprise Edition (a direct connect from Sprint to the Mail server) or Server Solution (a Blackberry type solution) which has a server that takes care of the requests from users internally in the Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibby
    If you love your BlackBerry, you might want to stick with it. As the Sys Admin in my office, I've had the oppertunity to play with many mobile e-mail devices.

My company uses Exchange. The only way to get to the Exchange server from outside the network is to establish a VPN connections or use Outlook Web Access. If this is similar to your company, the BlackBerry is the best device for reading your e-mail as the BlackBerry servers can pull mail/contacts/appointments/etc from the web interface and then push them to your device.

For the Treo, I have a client installed on my desktop computer that pushes my Exchange e-mail to Sprint's servers. If my desktop isn't up and running and logged in, I don't get new e-mail. Definitly not ideal (This is with Sprint PCS Business Connection Personal Edition, might be different for Professional...)

So without the support of your Exchange administrator, BlackBerry is hard to beat. If you have your Exhange administrator onboard for the project, you might have better luck with it. Most carriers will give you 7-14 days to make a decision, more if you're a business who's looking for a soultion for mutiple users. If you're unsure, make sure your carrier has a return policy and that you know what the terms of that policy are.
    I think, in some of my browsing, the RIM is going to offer their software on other platforms (like palm os) in a bit.

J
    IMO, moving from a BB to a Treo or any Palm or M$ Smartphone today is like moving from a pager to a cell phone for text messaging 5 years ago. You'll gain more functionality but you will introduce more risk. You need to assess the options recognizing that over time Smartphones will become more reliable for corporate email (BB clients and the like).

When I migrated to a cell phone from a pager years ago, I transitioned by having my pager messages routed to my phone for a month. Perhaps you can transition by testing out Treo 600 or 650 for 15 days.
    1. Hopefully soon ATT customers (I have a call in for someone else on this board) will have access to Cingular Data plans or better yet move to Cingular. Cingular customers have 19.99 Unlimited Data including EDGE, 1500 sms messages, and 200 MMS (picture emails). With access to HTML built into 650 Blazer Browser.

2. Go to imchatter.com Great program for push email. Pull email does not come close to push, and for those who need it, Chatter is a great program (Free Trial, great customer service).

3. someone else answered

4. quality control is supposed to be resolved. I have only had one 600(until I dropped it recently) no problems, didn't break but shift key no longer clicked. They are more fragile. Sprint/Verizon phones have had many more issues, battery life, battery connection, no service..., data blocking incoming phone calls...

5. Not eggs, but probably more sensitive tha blackberry.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaakir
    1. with GSM carries..att in particular. will the treo 600/650 support html browsing?
    Absolutely! The Treo 650 will use PalmOne's Blazer 4.0 which supports a number of formats etc...

2. second i love the "push" feature of the blackberries. i read the new 650 will support this no? or at least some version of this. having email delivered to ur phone is an important feature to me
    There are literally too many email solutions to list here that are available for the Treo. In terms of push, it's been reported that the Blackberry Connect client for PalmOS will be available hopefully by the end of this year for the Treo. Thus if you prefer, you can continue to use the Treo via BB software and servers. Then there is the bundled versamail client on the 650 that supports pop3/IMAP and MS Exchange activesync. In addition that is Chatter that support true IMAP push on the Treo as well as Goodlink, Notify link and tons others...

[qoute]
    3. will the 600/650 support picture attachments "pushed" from pop 3 email providers.(can i view the pics some one sent to my hotmail acct?)
    [/quote]

Yes, you will need to use your email client to view and download attachments such as docs or pics. DTG7 bundled on the 650 will support native jpeg, bmp file types etc. For Hotmail, you will need to be a bit more creative since MS does not support pop3 services for this web based email service. A simple solution would be to get a free fastmail.fm acct and automatically pop you hotmail and then use versmail to download your inbox via the builtin IMAP versamil email client. I know it sounds complicated at first, but it's simple to setup!

4. reliabilty. the os of the blackberries are rock solid. i hear alot of horror stories about treo 600 users having to hard/soft reset all the time..in the process having to reload applications. this is why i went with the bb to begin with. the os is ROCK solid. i hear from my fellow sales reps(i work in wireless) that the speaker phone has been a huge problem on the 600s. i have heard of people going through 2 or 3 phones. so far, these phones seem to have alot of qc issues. this is 1 reason i never buy something brand new. i wait til its out for a while to let the consumers find all the bugs. with the new 650 on the way. alot of tempting deals can be found on the 600.
    Software wise, the Treos are generally pretty solid imo. It's only when you start download tons of various and sometimes buggy 3rd party apps that problems can arise. In regards to hardware, it is true that many have reported various issues with the Treo 600 such as ear piece, battery probs etc. The failure rate can seem ominous, but then there are users like me who are still on their first Treo since Nov of 2003 with no problems at all! In any case, the fact that PalmOne is using teh ODM HTC to manufacture the 650 is a good sign as they are known for their high quality prowsess...

5. durability. blackberries can be abused and keep on ticking, i hear/read the treos are far more sensitive.
    [/quote]

Well, it is more delicate device. But in a good case, I don't think it should be a problem. Just don't throw across the room or something!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  9.    #9  
    thank you for your responses guys.
    Ive got more Guns than you.