Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It says '4-6 weeks', but it's the first place I found that allows you to order one!

I figure I can always refuse delivery or return it if it comes out quicker or cheaper somewhere else!
    Amazon will not charge you untill it is shipped. You can cancel the order anytime before it is shipped.
    Refusing delivery because you found iot cheaper elsewhere is a pretty underhanded thing to do.
  4.    #4  
    refusing delivery is what the rep told me to do once before when I was asking how to return something. It's equivalent to bringing something back to the store before you open the packaging, right?
    Actually refusing delivery by customers is something most large companies do. If we get 2000 pre-orders we only order 1600 or so. We know the rest will cancel or be returned. If not, we rush order the ones we still need. It's amazing how many people do not follow through on their orders.

"Age is only a number society has inflicted upon us to number our days on Earth."
    ~Stephen Todd
    Is anyone gonna wait for rebates before pre-ordering one?
    Pager > Nokia ???? > Nextel i1000 > Nextel i1000 plus > T-Mobile Sidekick (B&W) > Nokia 3650 > Treo 650 GSM Cingular - Bought via TreoCentral (Feb 2005)
    Quote Originally Posted by wbarker
    It says '4-6 weeks', but it's the first place I found that allows you to order one!

I figure I can always refuse delivery or return it if it comes out quicker or cheaper somewhere else!
    Can you post the link?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts

You are correct, sir! Why wait 4-6 weeks? A Sprint rep told me that they will have it in a couple o' weeks!
    I have been told that it will be at best buy on 14 Nov, though I cant seem to get confirmation.
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    Refusing delivery because you found iot cheaper elsewhere is a pretty underhanded thing to do.
    I love when us "little" guys need to show concern for enormous enterprise class retailers.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    My concern is that nobody really knows the truth but some guy who claimed to work for best buy actually posted some internal store order showing the14th. Just hoping it isnt BS.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    The 14th at BestBuy is ligitmate. I tried to take a picture of their screen. Whether or not they will actually have them is questionable, but their computers definetly say they will.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Intresting how it's not orderable anymore when clicking on that link
    Quote Originally Posted by jflynn
    Think that's underhanded? How do you feel about Amazon's practice of forcing you to put certain things in your cart before you find out how much they cost?

What's next? Forcing us to complete the purchase before we find out what things cost? Or maybe they'll make us wait till the bill shows up from our credit card.

Man. You're really anxious to get this thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    I love when us "little" guys need to show concern for enormous enterprise class retailers.
    If a millionaire drops a $100 bill, do you pocket it, or return it to him?

I think it's just a question of ethics. You imply that you wouldn't act unethically against a mom-and-pop store, but an enormous retailer is ok. How about a medium-sized retailer? This line of reasoning scares me ... and it leads to justification of progressive taxation.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by phandel
    If a millionaire drops a $100 bill, do you pocket it, or return it to him?

I think it's just a question of ethics. You imply that you wouldn't act unethically against a mom-and-pop store, but an enormous retailer is ok. How about a medium-sized retailer? This line of reasoning scares me ... and it leads to justification of progressive taxation.

Thanks,
    Peter
    Your analogy is completely irrelevant.

I dont think this is a questions of ethics at all. People buy commodities at the lowest price. If amazon cannot provide that price, than refuse the delivery. If we were talking about using the product for two weeks while knowing that it was going to be returned, then your reasoning may become valid.

In the case when a retailer is providing added value, than that might be another avenue for validity of your point.

However, Amazon is provding zero added value, and they will be the first to say they are king of the low price game.

In terms of your last line, you lost me.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Think that's underhanded? How do you feel about Amazon's practice of forcing you to put certain things in your cart before you find out how much they cost?
    I like this policy and so should you. Try to educate yourself before you get up on a sopabox. You're mad at Amazon but actually you should be happy with them and mad at the manufacturers.

Here's how it works:

Manufacturers sometimes have a policy of lowest advertised price (LAP) for their resellers. That means you can't advertise it for sale for less than X. The manufacturers do this for different reasons I won't go into here. Some resellers like Amazon want to sell it for less. That's good for us consumers! To get around the LAP they do tricks like asking you to put the item in your cart before you can see the price. Other online resellers ask you to click a button and the price will be revealed, still others will email you the price.

You still mad at this Amazon policy? I assume you wouldn't rather pay the higher LAP instead just so you can see the price more easily.
    Your analogy is completely irrelevant.

I dont think this is a questions of ethics at all. People buy commodities at the lowest price. If amazon cannot provide that price, than refuse the delivery. If we were talking about using the product for two weeks while knowing that it was going to be returned, then your reasoning may become valid.

In the case when a retailer is providing added value, than that might be another avenue for validity of your point.

However, Amazon is provding zero added value, and they will be the first to say they are king of the low price game.
    I am not arguing for or against Amazon in this specific case; I'm just angry with the general sentiment that 'Since a company is big, don't even consider whether something is ethical or not', which is what your quote - "I love when us "little" guys need to show concern for enormous enterprise class retailers." - made me feel.

In terms of your last line, you lost me.
    Logically, a progressive tax (ie. PERCENTAGE of taxation based on income) is unfair, and a flat tax is fair. Now, many people believe it's "fair to be unfair" towards the rich, since they have more; I was merely trying to draw an analogy between rich people & large corporations, and how some think it's ok to be unethical towards them because they have more.

I didn't mean to turn this into a political thread - I'm looking forward to the 650 just as much as y'all are :-)

Thanks,
    Peter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast