Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a good resource on the process used to convert a Sprint Ace to be used on Verizon? How solid is the use of the converted device, typically? Would anything not work (like the smartphone/PDA data plan)?
    It's a little early in the Ace saga for anyone to have definitive answers to your questions. I do recall, however, that people have been able to use a Sprint 600 on Verizon, but the data features were not well supported. I watched that development myself because I wanted to stay with Verizon. In the end, I took Sprint's bribe of covering my cancellation fee through rebates, and made the switch.

Mike
  3.    #3  
    For me, it comes down to the fact that in my area, Verizon's coverage is unparalleled by any other carrier. I won't swap that for a cool phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffster
    For me, it comes down to the fact that in my area, Verizon's coverage is unparalleled by any other carrier. I won't swap that for a cool phone.
    Same here, and that is really a blessing and a curse. The problem is that VZW knows that many users are "locked in" to the VZW coverage, so they simply don't care about their customer's dissatisfaction with the poor phone line-up and slow releases. They can afford to keep it limited to a few phones with long test cycles (which is cheaper to support) and can get away with making long-term sales committments to vendors to lower costs. I bet that we won't see the Ace on VZW for a LONG time, as VZW no doubt inked a deal with P1 to sell the 600 for like a year or so. Customers will fume, rant and rave...but most won't leave....
    For voice only, you could get the Free and Clear (or whatever Sprint calls it) option with Sprint and be able to roam on Verizon using your regular minutes.
    I thought I saw a post where someone used a mod/hack to use the same phone switching from VZW to Spring and Back. Will that be possible for a Sprint T650? I guess it depends on if the Sprint 650 will be 800 Mhz capable, or is that part of the mod/hack to go from 1900 to 800 Mhz?

I'm dying to get a 650, but Verizon has the preferable 800 Mhz CDMA network. I might have to settle for Sprint and the reduced building penetration of the 1900 Mhz network. I can't wait six to nine months for VZW to finish testing.
    NO

Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    I saw that post also, it was a complicated proceedure using a Kyocera QCP-6035 phone to program the treo 600.
    It depends on the phone model. I know people converted the Sprint SE T608 for use on the Verizon network. It was the only bluetooth phone for US CDMA networks for a while so Verizon users found a way to make it work.

Going the other way is not possible, i.e. Verizon phone to Sprint.
    Technically it can be done, as Sprint and Verizon use the same technology and frequencies (800 analog and 800/1900 digital). The reason why converting a VZW phone to Sprint is "not possible", is because Sprint seems to keep track of the exact ESN numbers of phones that were issued for its network. So if you try to activate a VZW phone on Sprint, Customer Service can see that it is a non-Sprint phone, and that's the end of that.

Verizon does let you activate a Sprint ESN on its network, but is looking like that won't be the case much longer. Apparently VZW is building its own database of VZW issued ESNs.

BTW, for either conversion VZW<->Sprint, you may have trouble getting all settings converted to the other network, such as voicemail access numbers, data network settings etc. Just a pain in the behind.
    Hi, I am here in north/central New Jersey, Sprint coverage around here is pretty shabby and the Verizon coverage is amazing. Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY at all to get a Treo 650 working on Verizon Wireless, or do I have to wait years and years until they offer it? I am dying to get this. Willing to pay for a solution. Does anyone know? Thanks!!

P.S. I currently have a Verizon National plan with an old LG phone.
    THanks so much!
    I emailed a VZW rep and asked two questions.
    1) When is the 650 coming out.
    2) Can I use a 650 phone from Sprint (I said sprint specifically) on VZW's network.

My answers were...
    1) At present, there are several wireless phones being tested for functionality and reliability with our network. Verizon Wireless will not offer a product or service unless it meets the high standards our customers have come to expect. Currently, we are unable to provide information regarding which equipment is being considered or approximate release dates, as this may raise expectations that may not be met.

2)We can activate your existing handset provided it is compatible with our CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) digital network.
    Although a wireless phone may be compatible with our network, we cannot guarantee the equipment's performance nor can we honor the manufacturer's warranty on wireless phones not purchased through Verizon Wireless or its authorized agents.

So from the rep, it seems like they could activate it.
    They could activate it for voice, but data will not work. Verizon uses BREW for their data access/downloads, which Sprint phones do not support.
    *If you would like to know the answer to this question in detail, go back to the old discussion boards around the time when the 300 and 600 came out - every time a new phone comes out this topic comes up.

The short answer is no - the long answer if very technical with lots of alphabet soup.
    You can not configure it for just voice, just data or anything else. Each phone is registered with each network and you can't change it.

No, you can't hack the ESN or any other code - it is built into the chip and illegal.

If you have any other but, what if questions about making the phone work on Verizon - the answer is no - it won't work. This thread will stay a lot shorter if people will go back to the old threads and do some research.

Not being negative, just trying to save TC some KBs of storage and bandwidth.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcsnpixels
    *If you would like to know the answer to this question in detail, go back to the old discussion boards around the time when the 300 and 600 came out - every time a new phone comes out this topic comes up.

The short answer is no - the long answer if very technical with lots of alphabet soup.
    You can not configure it for just voice, just data or anything else. Each phone is registered with each network and you can't change it.

No, you can't hack the ESN or any other code - it is built into the chip and illegal.

If you have any other but, what if questions about making the phone work on Verizon - the answer is no - it won't work. This thread will stay a lot shorter if people will go back to the old threads and do some research.

Not being negative, just trying to save TC some KBs of storage and bandwidth.
    Actually doing research on this thread, the Treo 600 Sprint version was modified to work on the Verizon network before they came out with the phone themselves. It worked on both voice and data.
    Look at the following threads:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=48493
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=39179

Don't be so critical when your answer is incorrect.
    The Treo 300 wouldn't be a good choice to conver to Verizon since it only uses the 1900 mHz frequency, and Verizon uses both 800 and 1900, so your coverage won't be good, but with the Treo 600 you can make a full conversion.
    AUUUGH I really, really *need* to have the T650 on VZW. The reason I am asking, of course, is that I remember reading all the threads and tutorials on how to convert a T600 (which was not offered by Verizon at the time) to the Verizon network. What I am looking for is, is instructions just like the "HOw to Convert a 600 to Verizon", except for a 650. Anyone have any ideas/ links? Thanks!
    "What I am looking for is, is instructions just like the "HOw to Convert a 600 to Verizon", except for a 650. Anyone have any ideas/ links? Thanks!"

The 650 is not even out to the general public, so what you're looking for doesn't exist yet. You might as well be asking what the best price is for a first class ticket to the moon is.
    I stand corrected. I guess anything is possible with the right tools.
    Im still using my converted 600 (going on 6 months now), everything works great (knock on wood). The answer is definately: nobody knows. We could use the programmers tool and the serial cable for the treo600, but Im sure the programming on the 650 is going to be different. Getting the right hardware and software to change settings is going to be the biggest hurdle, in my opinion.

I can be fairly confident in saying that, if someone can find the programming tool for the 650 -- and no special cable is needed to program it -- then the 650 can work on Verizon just as well.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast