Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Buy GPS Now has a bluetooth addon for my GPS module that I use with my 600, Anyone want to speculate if it will connect to the Treo650 and work with mapoplis. If it does it will be sweet.
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    You have a bluetooth GPS receiver for the 600? What is it? The only ones I've seen are for the Pocket PC.
  3.    #3  
    buygpsnow.com has a BT addon for the GPS I own.. here is the link and info.

http://www.buygpsnow.com/item.aspx?itemid=365

I was just curous if it would work with a treo 650.. (BTW: My 600 is on the fritz and I think my boss is going to foot the bill for me a 650.. )
    treo 90 > treo 300 > treo 600 > treo 650 > motorola Q > instinct > treo pro > Whats next???? PRE?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo
    You have a bluetooth GPS receiver for the 600? What is it? The only ones I've seen are for the Pocket PC.
    I haven't tried them on a Treo specifically, but there are several Bluetooth GPS modules available bundled with Palm software, and I've tested a few of them with my T3. Fortuna and AnyCom sell models specifically for Palms, the Mapopolis software for Palms claims to support any Bluetooth GPS that supports the NMEA standard, etc.
    I'm not following how the BT GPS receiver connects with the Treo 600 which does not have BT capability. Or is there another BT accessory for the 600?
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo-Treo
    I'm not following how the BT GPS receiver connects with the Treo 600 which does not have BT capability. Or is there another BT accessory for the 600?
    Go back and read his original post again. He says that he has a Bluetooth *add-on* for the GPS receiver that he currently uses (without Bluetooth) with his Treo 600. With the Bluetooth add-on, he's asking if the GPS receiver would then work with the Treo 650 wirelessly over Bluetooth.

I'm pretty confident that it would. In fact, I went out and bought a Bluetooth-only receiver myself in anticipation of the 650. I've tested it with my Apple Powerbook (which supports Bluetooth out-of-the-box), and it works great. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with the 650.

The one I bought is here: http://www.teletype.com/Merchant2/me...ory_Code=13000

If you're interested in how well it works with the 650, I can let you know as soon as I get one. (Hopefully soon!) Shoot me an email at trevor@vocaro.com in a couple weeks.
    vocaro,

Thanks for the info. Just curious, what mapping s/w are you using on the Mac?
    Quote Originally Posted by belerek
    Thanks for the info. Just curious, what mapping s/w are you using on the Mac?
    None yet; I just used a utility that reads in the position and altitude from the device, and I verified that the data was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by zone97
    Buy GPS Now has a bluetooth addon for my GPS module that I use with my 600, Anyone want to speculate if it will connect to the Treo650 and work with mapoplis. If it does it will be sweet.
    Yes it would be sweet. I have the Haicom HI-204S GPS antenna. I love how quickly it gets a position fix as compared to my previously owned Tungsten C and GPS sled. However I do have one question. How would this actually work? Currently I have a cable that plugs into my lighter. Then the cable splits between the 600 and the antenna. I get power to the Treo and antenna. If (ha, when) I replace my 600 with the 650, I lose the wired Treo connection. Then what happens? Do I need another cable of some sort?

Cool problem to have though!!! I would prefer this $50 solution over buying a new antenna.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by vocaro
    Go back and read his original post again. He says that he has a Bluetooth *add-on* for the GPS receiver that he currently uses (without Bluetooth) with his Treo 600. With the Bluetooth add-on, he's asking if the GPS receiver would then work with the Treo 650 wirelessly over Bluetooth.
    Ok. The original wording could be taken either way.

When the 650 gets BT the hot combination for portability might be a battery-powered GPS receiver with BT such as the Fortuna Clip-On.
    Hi,

Sorry I'm late with this answer, but the Semsons Bluetooth adapter/charger does create a Bluetooth link with a Holux, Haicom, or iTrek GPS that Mapopolis understands. Basically, it leverages your investment in the mouse GPS so you can use it with a Bluetooth device. This does not mean that the BT radio will not quickly suck the battery on the handset dry, so, although it's an extension, you'll still need a power cord for the phone if you intend to cover any reasonable distance. And this means that you'll need two cigarette power adapters. (Radio Shack sells a nice three-way adapter for about $10.)
    What bt gps receiever is the best to buy for the 650?
  13.    #13  
    What about a device like this? No power cord needed..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...731592154&rd=1
    Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    Garmin by far makes the best mapping software for the palm. I have a ique 3600 and it has to be one of the best things I have bought in a longtime. I could only hope that garmin comes out with a bluetooth gps and software for the treo 650, but I think that is a dream.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Dumb question, but has anyone seen an adapter that would plug into the power/GPS input cable and fit the T650 or T|5? Bluetooth GPS seems kinda silly since (A) both devices still require power and (B) they're about a foot away from one another on my dash.

With the BT options mentioned above, I'd have more cables clogging up my dash rather than fewer.

I have a Haicom that I bought from buygpsnow.com and I sent over an email seeing if they had an adapter cable that would work--- seems the cheapest/most logical option, no?
    Well, I have used both wired and wireless GPSs and it does make a big difference to be able to simply grab your GPS from your backpack throw it on the dashboard and turn it on to start navigating on short trips, saym if you suddenly realize you're not too sure how to get to where you're going. It makes casual GPS usage a lot easier. It also makes it easier to record GPS logs on foot since you can keep the GPS in one part and your phona or PDA somewhere else without tangling.
    For really long trips it makes sense to have wires to keep everything powere up.
    What software can keep records on foot, like the handheld gps units (magellan gps 315, etc)?
    Well, the free cotoGPS can record GPS logs, problem is, what used to tke 300K on an old Palm takes an insane 2.7 MBs on the 650, so that makes it a dangerous thing to do on the 650, but I wrote its author about the possibility of adding support for writing logs to SD in forerunner format. No reply yet though... it's a free app though.
    Has anyone checked CetusGPS on a 650? It doesn't write many or small files, and it has a recording mode. It's also free. Just wondering....
    So, anyone care to report how well BT GPS is working on the 650?

OT:
    GoldFinger, nice M3! Check out:
    http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/

Thanks,
    Peter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast