Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I hear a lot of people on here wanting the GSM EDGE-enabled T650 over the CDMA for the promise of more speed on the EDGE. This report looks like the actual delivery of EDGE devices is hardly competition of CDMA 1xRTT systems.

Other than the sim card and international (neither of interest to me), the Sprint CDMA is probably a better option due to coverage, plan pricing, and yes, FASTER speeds.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...pcworld/118365
    that has NOTHING to do with Sprint. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA2000. AWS and Cingular use GSM/EDGE currently, and will be upgrading to WCDMA. In fact, AWS has WCDMA running in 5 or 6 cities currently. WCDMA is owned largely by Qualcomm, and is the standard that Europe uses. CDMA2k is largely idiosyncratic to the AMericas and S.Korea, and J-Phone in Japan for now. GSM/WCDMA is the global upgrade path. THough the EV-DV rel E with the smv voice codec is interesting, that is not slated for release until 2006. At that time, I may jump ship to CDMA2k myself, but by then WCDMA will use HSDPA, which at 14MB/s will blow CDMA2k d/l speeds out
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    that has NOTHING to do with Sprint. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA2000. AWS and Cingular use GSM/EDGE currently, and will be upgrading to WCDMA. In fact, AWS has WCDMA running in 5 or 6 cities currently. WCDMA is owned largely by Qualcomm, and is the standard that Europe uses. CDMA2k is largely idiosyncratic to the AMericas and S.Korea, and J-Phone in Japan for now. GSM/WCDMA is the global upgrade path. THough the EV-DV rel E with the smv voice codec is interesting, that is not slated for release until 2006. At that time, I may jump ship to CDMA2k myself, but by then WCDMA will use HSDPA, which at 14MB/s will blow CDMA2k d/l speeds out
    Whatever, Monkey. I was only saying that Sprint is the ONE carrier who will have the Treo 650 probably before others AND instead of holding out for a GSM AT&T model (who knows how long in reality) for the SOLE purpose of thinking EDGE would be a faster browsing experience, it seems that SPRINT will have a faster system using their 1xRTT CDMA network.

I don't care who owns or develops or distributes any type of CDMA, 2k EVDO, or anything. I am only interested in what carrier offers them for me to use.
    According to another poster who appeared to know what he/she was typing about, the selection of EDGE and EVDO is moot since one has to be sitting on the cellphone tower to get a sufficient signal strength to use either.

With a laptop.

Powered directly from a nuclear plant.
    BROWSE THIS SITE, educate yourself! Great actual versus theoretical info and explanations about data speeds.http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedt...ch.php?a=types

Quote Originally Posted by rbright
    I hear a lot of people on here wanting the GSM EDGE-enabled T650 over the CDMA for the promise of more speed on the EDGE. This report looks like the actual delivery of EDGE devices is hardly competition of CDMA 1xRTT systems.

Other than the sim card and international (neither of interest to me), the Sprint CDMA is probably a better option due to coverage, plan pricing, and yes, FASTER speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    BROWSE THIS SITE, educate yourself! Great actual versus theoretical info and explanations about data speeds.http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedt...ch.php?a=types
    Very nice comparison. Pay particular attention to:

== "...The difference between maximum speed and average speed
    == can be also be espcially large in wireless technology..."
    Cheers specimen38 that is nice info

OK, is it just me, or did that article not even mention 1xRTT, let alone compare real world speeds between the two?

Now I'm not an evangelist for any particular service or standard, but it seems to me to have any meaningful comparison you should have a 1xRTT device and a Class 10 EDGE device both operating from the same site and running the same tests to have ANY idea of how the two compare. Comparing theoretical statistics to other theoretical statistics tells you a little bit about what is _possible_ but not much about how the two standards stack up real world.

Comparing real world tests of one standard under certain conditions to theoretical statistics on the other standard tells you jack-nothing.

Can anyone point to some real world tests between 1xRTT and EDGE class 10 devices? Now THAT would be helpful!
    The only way you can really know the speed differences IN YOUR AREA is to run a test. Let me tell you how fickled things can be. In the Oakland/Emeryville, CA area GSM(GPRS) beat CDMA 1xRTT. Run your own and see what happens. I conducted one test at the Sprint store on a T600 and the second test at the ATT store on the same. http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
    Whatever, Monkey
    Bleh

Quote Originally Posted by LordByron
    OK, is it just me, or did that article not even mention 1xRTT, let alone compare real world speeds between the two?
    You are exactly right, it makes NO mention at all of Sprint and CDMA2k

Whatever, Monkey
    So double bleh

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

Quoted from other forum post:

For what it is worth, here are some rough benchmarks. I downloaded a 774KB pre-compressed file three times via ssh/scp. I borrowed a friend's Verizon phone to do this. The signal level where I did the test is about -85db on all three networks (AT&T, Verizon, T-mobile). I ran the tests in the Seattle area around 3:30pm on a Friday, so the networks should be reasonably loaded.

It is interesting to note that GPRS performance is very predictable (something I've observed before). EDGE and 1xRTT seem to have a lot more variation.

It looks like:
    Verizon EN/1xRTT has the best latency (at least for ICMP).
    AT&T EDGE has the best download throughput.
    T-mobile GPRS performance is the most stable (doesn't vary much)

I also note that I wasn't seeing high ICMP packet loss rates with the 3589i, so it does seem like the problem with my Verizon EN trial a few months back was the airprime card and not the service itself. Either that or a network glitch that has been resolved.

In case anyone cares about OS details. Mac OS 10.2.8

copy a 774KB file via scp (file is precompressed). 3 trials.
    ping -c 100 to a well connected site

Verizon EN
    Nokia 3589i with antenna extended via usb

1:15 10.32KB/s
    2:00 6.45KB/s
    2:37 4.92KB/s
    average 6.6 KB/s

ping -c 100
    100 packets transmitted, 99 packets received, 1% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 453.163/565.39/705.53 ms

--------
    AT&T EDGE
    Nokia 6200 via usb

1:12 10.75KB/s
    1:22 9.43KB/s
    2:09 6.00KB/s
    average 8.2 KB/s

ping -c 100
    100 packets transmitted, 100 packets received, 0% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 653.017/807.865/1191.56 ms

--------
    T-mobile GPRS via Bluetooth
    Nokia 6310i

3:27 3.73KB/s
    3:27 3.73KB/s
    3:30 3.68KB/s
    average 3.7 KB/s

ping -c 100
    100 packets transmitted, 99 packets received, 1% packet loss
    round-trip min/avg/max = 623.167/780.155/1921.26 ms

Notes of interest. EDGE phone was not even a Class 10.
    Comparing those to the theoretical from the link a couple posts above is interesting:

> ...average 6.6 KB/s...
    >> 1xRTT 144.0Kbit/s - 18 KBs

> ...average 8.2 KB/s...
    >> EDGE 384.0Kbit/s - 48 KBs

> ...average 3.7 KB/s...
    >> GPRS 171.2Kbit/s - 21 KBs
    Good work Seldom and schwasj. Thanks for the reality checks. Too many members on TreoCentral are purchasing based on the THEORETICAL then complain when things don't work out.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I just ran the Speedtest on my PCS Treo 600. I got 475 kilobits per second. That equals 58.1 kilobytes per second. Not bad in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by ls3mach
    I just ran the Speedtest on my PCS Treo 600. I got 475 kilobits per second. That equals 58.1 kilobytes per second. Not bad in my book.
    That is, faster than the theoretical limits of all three types of communication method!

Not bad!

Would you like to take on the speed of light?
    Go to the following website on your Treo and do a mobile speed test. In order to keep things consistent in the thread, click on 200k to do the test. If someone could do this with a Treo650 using EDGE we could compare it to the Sprint and Verizon 1xrtt connection adn see who comes out on top most often and in which places. On my Sprint PCS treo600 I regularly get between 60 and 80 when I run the 200k test and between 90 and 100 when I run the 100k test.

http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed
  17.    #17  
    I never said it compared 1xRTT and EDGE. It shows that the actual and maximum EDGE rates are very different. And the actual EDGE rates are much slower that what many have posted on HERE about their 1xRTT experiences.

I guess you could read my message to have said the report compares them, but I read it as saying that EDGE just doesn't perform as high as it could, and if someone is holding out for GSM EDGE merely for the gained speed of EDGE, they might be seriously disappointed.

bleh bleh bleh Monkey.
  18.    #18  
    Good work Seldom and schwasj. Thanks for the reality checks. Too many members on TreoCentral are purchasing based on the THEORETICAL then complain when things don't work out.
    That is the point I was trying to make. Thank you for saying it more clearly Specimen.
    I never said it compared 1xRTT and EDGE. It shows that the actual and maximum EDGE rates are very different. And the actual EDGE rates are much slower that what many have posted on HERE about their 1xRTT experiences.

I guess you could read my message to have said the report compares them, but I read it as saying that EDGE just doesn't perform as high as it could, and if someone is holding out for GSM EDGE merely for the gained speed of EDGE, they might be seriously disappointed.

bleh bleh bleh Monkey.
    well, now 15 posts later you explain yourself. Why didn't you initally specify your point of reference as these forums?????????

Oink
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast