1.    #1  
    From CNET:

"Shares of PalmSource, the handheld operating system developer, dipped Monday on an investment bank's report that said key licensee PalmOne will use Microsoft's OS in its Treo line of devices."

\Link
    Last edited by AbortRetryFail?; 11/01/2004 at 10:55 PM.
    Some speculation here but, maybe Palmone didn't use Cobalt because they haven't worked out a licensing deal with Palmsource. If so maybe they will toy with MS to play hardball in negotiations. In reality though it would make little sense for them to dilute their resources by trying to support to two OS's that had no synergy with each other.
    If PalmOne is out for itself, it might make sense for them to support Microsoft's PPC or Sp OS in their form factor and get a handle on those for whome Palm OS is a non-starter. Not abandoning either, but supporting both.

As a hardware company...
    Except that they aren't a hardware company so much as a systems company. (HTC and Solecton are pure play agnostic hardware manufactures). PalmOne has to add value via brand and differentiation via intellectual property. What advantage to the wield if the OS is Microsofts. They would be a late entrant. They have a small share of cell phone market as whole. They have no leverage on their brand, relationships, and infrastructure. Assuming rational decsision making I don't think it makes any sense.
    The Oct 5th date in the CNET article corresponds to the license of MSFT Exchange ActiveSync for "out-of-the-box" remote sync with Exchange-based email.

There is a lot of discussion about misunderstandings in this article. I would say that it is most likely a case where an analyst got it wrong - thinking P1 was announcing a license of WinCE as opposed to ActiveSync.

P1 really has no reason to further clarify the situation, now independent of the OS.
    HP 95-LX > Pilot 5000 > Cassiopeia 105 > Cassiopeia 115 > Handspring Visor > Palm M505 > Toshiba e740 > Palm Tungsten C > Palm Tungsten T3 > Dell Axim X30 > Treo 650
    Would be awesome. Treo's design with Microsoft's OS, which has become a richer OS.
    It's Handspring people trying to pull the same old gambit again. Except I fully expect Palmsource to call their bluff and double the price of license.

I know I would do that if I were Palmsource.

What Palmone gonna do? actually start using PPC? They will die within 2 minutes after entering the scene. Their chance of actually competing in PPC arena is less than zero.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimetechie
    Except that they aren't a hardware company so much as a systems company. (HTC and Solecton are pure play agnostic hardware manufactures). PalmOne has to add value via brand and differentiation via intellectual property. What advantage to the wield if the OS is Microsofts. They would be a late entrant. They have a small share of cell phone market as whole. They have no leverage on their brand, relationships, and infrastructure. Assuming rational decsision making I don't think it makes any sense.
    let's put it in simple term if P1 enters PPC arena.

Their competitor will be HTC, BenQ and motorola. (PDA2k, iJam (now), P50 (first half '05), MPx (first half '05))

what is P1 fighting chance? I know a raisin bagel that has better fighting chance than Palmone.
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortRetryFail?
    From CNET:

"Shares of PalmSource, the handheld operating system developer, dipped Monday on an investment bank's report that said key licensee PalmOne will use Microsoft's OS in its Treo line of devices."

\Link
    May be this is true... Just saw this article on engadget

http://www.engadget.com/entry/8928248613646672/
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    let's put it in simple term if P1 enters PPC arena.

Their competitor will be HTC, BenQ and motorola. (PDA2k, iJam (now), P50 (first half '05), MPx (first half '05))

what is P1 fighting chance? I know a raisin bagel that has better fighting chance than Palmone.
    Not to mention HTC are actually manufacturing the Treo 650 for palmone..
    PalmOne outsources just about everything from design, to engineering, to programming, to production, to warehousing, to distribution.

Their current contractual arrangement with PalmSource ends 2006.

I would not be surprised at ALL that "they" have been working on a PPC-type line of devices for quite some time.

Or maybe some other OS.

They didn't split away from PalmSource for fun, ya know...
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Or maybe some other OS.

They didn't split away from PalmSource for fun, ya know...
    You do have a point there, they may go like Samsung releasing both Palm and WM devices, or even UIQ???
    Well, that does it for me - I'm buying the raisin bagel.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon
    Well, that does it for me - I'm buying the raisin bagel.

An everything bagel shall leave you in better stead
    I was large and in charge!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTreo
    Would be awesome. Treo's design with Microsoft's OS, which has become a richer OS.

Adjoining with the evil empire is in the best interests of PalmOne. Having recently seen the Audiovox smt5600 telephonic device myself, I was quite enamoured by the slick functionality.
    I was large and in charge!
    Yes, but will Sprint allow Palm1 to sell the bagel with cream cheese and lox...or will that be an add-on card that never comes?
    Will the Treo be able to compete with those other phones?
    In all likelyhood it will at least need more memory, and likely more processor thus raising the price.
    Hello Compact Framework. It will be nice to have some of the powerful features that PPC has been enjoying. I'm hyped.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primate
    Will the Treo be able to compete with those other phones?
    In all likelyhood it will at least need more memory, and likely more processor thus raising the price.
    P1 can't raise the price of the the Treo any higher than it is now. $600 is the breaking point for too many pocketbooks
    It makes sense for there to be a MS treo. As long as they continue to sell both, it can only add to their overall number of units sold. Although it would be a big slap in the face to their old friends at PalmSource! I for one will stick with PalmOS, but more choices is a good thing.