1.    #1  
    Hi, pardon my ignorance on this issue but I'd like to get the T650 for the Bluetooth capabilities especially since I'll be getting a new laptop through my company soon as I will be travelling quite a bit.

My question: does the laptop need Bluetooth built-in or is that something that is an add-on like with a PCMCIA card or something?

Thanks in advance.
    -Adam
    Adam, either option is sufficient. You can have built-in Bluetooth (BT) in your laptop. I have BT in my Powerbook. Alternatively, you can get a BT dongle which generally connects to your USB port. They are relatively small and inexpensive. One obvious drawback is its protrusion from your laptop. Of course, it also takes up a USB port.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    My question: does the laptop need Bluetooth built-in or is that something that is an add-on like with a PCMCIA card or something?

Thanks in advance.
    -Adam
    Last edited by illustreous; 11/01/2004 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Spelling and grammar corrections.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by illustreous
    Adam, either option is sufficient. You can have built-in Bluetooth (BT) in your laptop. I have BT in my Powerbook. Alternatively, you can get a BT dongle which generally connects to your USB port. They are relatively small and inexpensive. One obvious drawback is its protrusion from your laptop. Of course, it also takes up a USB port.
    That's what I'm wondering, if I have to carry something around with me anyway if the laptop doesn't have BT already built-in, then I guess I could also just carry around the hot-sync cable?
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Get the built-in bluetooth. It is really nice to have it in the notebook instead of having to search for a little BT dongle.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Get the built-in bluetooth. It is really nice to have it in the notebook instead of having to search for a little BT dongle.
    I'm sort of at the mercy of what my company gives me. Hopefully they buy laptops with BT built-in.
    Adam is right that a BT dongle or Treo cable is a toss-up. But with BT you do not need to attach your Treo as well, just leave it in your pocket or briefcase. In Mac OS (perhaps on Windows apps too, I dunno) if you have BT enabled, a window pops up on your screen when your phone rings or an SMS is received. If the phone is ringing the name of the caller will show up on your screen and you can choose to ignore the call (send to Vmail) right from your Mac and continue working. The SMS will actually show up entirely on your screen, no need to go fish the Treo (or other BT device) outta yer coat pocket. Cool, eh?
    -mbd26
    There are also BT adaptors for notebook PC card slots.
    Are these adapters only compatible with Mac OS or Win XP sp2? I have Windows 2000 Pro sp4 on my work laptop and would love to use DUN on my Treo 650 for remote connectivity.
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd26
    Adam is right that a BT dongle or Treo cable is a toss-up. But with BT you do not need to attach your Treo as well, just leave it in your pocket or briefcase. In Mac OS (perhaps on Windows apps too, I dunno) if you have BT enabled, a window pops up on your screen when your phone rings or an SMS is received. If the phone is ringing the name of the caller will show up on your screen and you can choose to ignore the call (send to Vmail) right from your Mac and continue working. The SMS will actually show up entirely on your screen, no need to go fish the Treo (or other BT device) outta yer coat pocket. Cool, eh?

can anyone verify that all the function taht mbd26 is talking bout also works on XP... i know you can sync but isn't the sync through bluetooth very slow?????
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)
    That would be cool! Anyone?
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Just was wondering that if I used a Bluetooth USB adaptor would I need to install drivers for the adapter or would they be built in? That is, if I want to transfer files to a computer which is not my own would I be better off plugging in a USB cable and using say card export or would a USB adapter immediately work if I put it in another computers USB slot? Thanks in advance.