Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    I've been reading on these threads about how great Datebk 5 is and was just wondering what all the hype is about. I use 2day which I understand is integrated pretty well with it.

Is it really that much more robust then the Palm T600 calender? Just doing some research and will probably download a trial version at some point, but looking for the various pros and cons.

Also, any significant advantages using Datebk over Agendus. I haven't tried either.

TIA....
    Last edited by dwman; 11/01/2004 at 05:31 PM.
    I used Datebk3 and 4 with my Palm IIIxe and IIIc, but really haven't had much of a need for it on my Treo (with the enhanced datebook courtesy of Pimlico). It gives me more calendar view options that I wanted, and I really don't have much of a need with integration of datebook and contacts.
    I also use 2day along with TAKEphONE and CallNotes and really do not see significant added utility by adding Datebk5 outside of To-do's with alarms. I've had Datebk5 trial on my Treo for a few weeks now but cannot find many compelling reasons to license it (yet....). For all of the Datebk5 loyalists out there, we're all ears.

Lastly, there are a ton of threads on similar topics so I recommend you do a search for more specifics and tips on the app. And I found this analysis very useful when comparing Datebk5 versus Agendus: http://tech.hernandez5.net/html/datebk5_vs_agendus.html

Good luck and let us know where you take your analysis.
    Datebook 5 has a GREAT alarm handling capabilities, the snoozeing ect. is great. For me, that was enough...
    Templates, icons (especially in month view), to-do alarms and repeats, display events and to-do in advance on day view, many alarm and snooze options....

Templates make it easy to add quick reminders and common things like meetings, phone calls, etc. For example, I have an event template at the top of the list set for 7:59pm, alarm, description is "-". I can quickly open Datebk5, hit menu-Q, center, and type a description if I want. I use this a lot when I am at work and need a quick reminder to do something at home. With Profiles (Simple Profile Manager) you can trigger a profile on a calendar event description. I use a template with "! Mtng-" and various other settings for meetings. Profiles takes care of the rest. Another neat feature of templates is that you can create one with an "Alarm in" time such as 15 minutes from now.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeantownTreo600
    I also use 2day along with TAKEphONE and CallNotes and really do not see significant added utility by adding Datebk5 outside of To-do's with alarms. I've had Datebk5 trial on my Treo for a few weeks now but cannot find many compelling reasons to license it (yet....). For all of the Datebk5 loyalists out there, we're all ears.

Lastly, there are a ton of threads on similar topics so I recommend you do a search for more specifics and tips on the app. And I found this analysis very useful when comparing Datebk5 versus Agendus: http://tech.hernandez5.net/html/datebk5_vs_agendus.html

Good luck and let us know where you take your analysis.
    Wow...Great analysis with that link. This will no doubt make my decision much easier, but looking at some of those comparisons, both of these might be overkill for me, but the jury is still out. I notice Datebk has alarms for ToDo's which is key for me. Is there an app out there that adds the alarm feature, but doesn't cost $30? I'd have no problem paying for this app, but not sure I need all the ansilary features.

Thanks to everyone who's responded
    The biggest feature for me was timezone support. I can create an appointment in my local timezone, travel to anotehr timezone and have my calendar entries automatically adjust to the new timezone. (This is very easy on Sprint because the service will automatically reset the phone's current timezone). Other services you need to manually adjust the timezone. Either way, its great to have your alarms, etc consistent with the zone you are in.
    For me it is the configuration options given along with over-all ease of use. It is the 5th most use app on my Treo. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by PabloTX
    I used Datebk3 and 4 with my Palm IIIxe and IIIc, but really haven't had much of a need for it on my Treo (with the enhanced datebook courtesy of Pimlico). It gives me more calendar view options that I wanted, and I really don't have much of a need with integration of datebook and contacts.
    No problems with what you say, but I can not see how the built-in app comes anywhere near Datebk5

How about Icons, Linking phone numbers to appointments, displaying pending ToDo's in same window, Quick access to fonts and colour.

There are so many things in DateBk5 that most users never find 50% of them, me included.

Searching/displaying on Icons is a good way of quickly finding different types of appointments

Icons within week view, the list goes on and on

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    For me, the icons that I can put in to appointments using DateBk5 are what make it worthwhile. In a quick glance, I can see when I have have an appointment with my ENT (icon of an ear), when I have to meet my wife at the OB (icon of a pregnant woman), when I have motorcycle meetings (various motorcycle icons, one for each group), when I have a friend's birthday coming up (icon of a cake), when I'm teaching (icon I made myself, similar to the class logo) and when the various Jewish and secular holidays are (some icons I made, some I got from other sources) etc. Sure, I could eventually scroll through all the events, but I think getting the overall "big picture" is valuable in and of itself.
    ChasT,

I used the icon view, showing todos in a split window, linked contacts to the calendar, and some of the other features on my previous Palms.

But after returning to the Palm OS with my Treo a few years after selling my IIIc, I didn't feel the need to use those additional features. No doubt they are great features, and very handy if you have a need for them, but I really don't.

What I really liked about Datebk3/4 was the additional views - week and list view. And as those are now inegrated into the Palm OS, I don't feel that I'd use any/many of the features in DateBk5 and haven't loaded it up. That may change in the future, though.

By no means am I attempting to take anything away from a great application developed by one of the very best Palm developers.
    It rocks. Try the demo. I didn't get it either until I tried it.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    Wow...Great analysis with that link. This will no doubt make my decision much easier, but looking at some of those comparisons, both of these might be overkill for me, but the jury is still out. I notice Datebk has alarms for ToDo's which is key for me. Is there an app out there that adds the alarm feature, but doesn't cost $30? I'd have no problem paying for this app, but not sure I need all the ansilary features.

Thanks to everyone who's responded
    I am currently trialing ToDo PLUS from HandsHigh http://www.handshigh.com which offers useful alarm features but so far, I cannot find any 5-way functionality settings. If I can't use my 5-way then its a dealbreaker for me. Sent email to dev for a little help on this issue. Its an expensive to-do app at $20 but I may consider it if there is indeed 5-way nav available.
    Registering helps save the gorillas. good enough for me.
    Banoo... what's that smell?
    Quote Originally Posted by jasparks
    I've been reading on these threads about how great Datebk 5 is and was just wondering what all the hype is about. I use 2day which I understand is integrated pretty well with it.

Is it really that much more robust then the Palm T600 calender? Just doing some research and will probably download a trial version at some point, but looking for the various pros and cons.

Also, any significant advantages using Datebk over Agendus. I haven't tried either.

TIA....
    Keep in mind that the nice Pimlico datebook, that showed appts and todos, that comes with the Treo 600 will not be on the Treo 650 because palmOne went back to their datebook allplication. I learned this with the simulator.
    I like that you can categorize events and have them display in color...like confirmed meetings in RED and penciled-in meetings in ORANGE and personal ones in (you guessed it) GREEN.

Also - the month view has a function which finds open time space...example "all the days with a contiguous 4 hour timeslot between 9am and 5pm".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No one has really mentioned the alarm screen. This was one of the big things for me. If you have DateBk5 set to handle alarms, when an alarm goes off - DateBk 5 displays more info than the built-in calendar program. Now I can see more of the title of the meeting and it's location. Plus selectable snooze times (which someone else did already mention).
    Treo 680 GSM since July 2007
    Treo 600 GSM from November 2003 through July 2007
    AT&T (formerly Cingular, formerly PacBell PCS) since September 1998
    Quote Originally Posted by Banoo
    Registering helps save the gorillas. good enough for me.
    That's the best reason of all!

http://www.gorilla-haven.org/