1.    #1  
    Has anyone who's played with the Treo 650 noticed whether or not the Bluetooth radio remains enabled when the CDMA or GSM radio is turned off? I'm hoping to use the Treo as a Bluetooth Presentation crontroller for PowerPoint via Salling Clicker, but obviously want the phoen radio off during presentations.
    Bluetooth the is operated be a separatechip/radio than the cellular radio. No worries, my friend.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. I appreciate the response. I know they're seperate radios, but I've seen other devices where the designers imagined "use cases" that resulting in situations similar to what I asked about. For example: a common use case discussed by phone desingers is the "airplane mode". If the PalmOne desingers considered that user would likely only have the phone radio off in situations akin to being on an airplane (BTW, they may consider being in a theater or in a restaraunt as being similar), then they may have decided that in those situations there would be no reason to have one radio off without the other.

Consider the airplane use case specifically. The Treo is targeted at business users, most of whom travel a lot. On a plane, bluetooth and phone must be turned off. It would be a lot ot ask to have a user press and hold the power button to turn off the phone radio, then expect the user to find the bluetooth preference, and turn off that radio there. Why not just turn both off by pressing and holding the power button?

I believe there is a very real possibility that PalmOne desinged the Treo 650 to turn off the Bluetooth radio when the Phone radio is turned off. I was hoping that somebody who has used the 650 could comment on it.
    Last edited by Conrad; 11/01/2004 at 08:59 PM.
    It'd make more sense to me to make their respective on/off options separate, than to force a user to turn them both off. Bluetooth has a lot to do with phones but it also has plenty to do with non-phone devices. You shouldn't be forced to have your cell radio on to sync your datebook, for example.

The question is whether or not Palm was smart enough to make "turn BT off also" an option for the power button.

However I also do not have your definitive answer.
    I currently own a T3 and Bluetooth operates with its own program. Here's a screenshot off the Treo 650 courtesy TC:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Won't the bluetooth radio interfere with the GSM radio?
  7.    #7  
    Thanks again, Captain Hair. I appreciate your responding to my question again. I saw those pics here on the site, but if you look closely, you'll notice the phone radio is on in both the GSM and CDMA screenshots. It's still not certain that the on/off buttons won't be greyed out when the phone radio is off. There have been PocketPC-based devices that suffered this problem, and I'm hoping PalmOne doesn't do that to us too (just like I'm anxious to find out if hte Treo supports multiple button presses - another common PocketPC device desing flaw).
  8.    #8  
    I wouldn't expect the two radios to interfere with each other. There are many, many bluetooth GSM phones out there already.
    Conrad:
    You're worrying too much. I am 99.999999824% sure that Bluetooth will be COMPLETELY separated from the cellular radio. Additionally, Bluetooth works on the 2.4 Ghz bandwidth (the same as 802.11 wi-fi and cordless phones), both CDMA and GSM work on different bandwidth sets.
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by merlin002
    Won't the bluetooth radio interfere with the GSM radio?
    i've been using bt headset with bt enabled phones since the 1st generation of bt, no problem at all
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Conrad:
    You're worrying too much. I am 99.999999824% sure that Bluetooth will be COMPLETELY separated from the cellular radio.
    You're probably right; but I, like many people on this board, have been watching handhelds and phones carefully for many years and have been disappointed by so many designs flaws just like the one I described. I guess it's made me, let's say, "overly cautious." Let's hope for the best!

BTW, I appreciate everyone's replies to my question. Thanks for taking the time to respond. This really is a great board.
    Can't you just turn the ringer off during your presentations?
  13.    #13  
    Great suggestion - that'll have to do in a worst case scenario, should PamOne disable Bluetooth when the phone radio is turned off. However, I give presentations in buildings sometimes with spotty coverage - enough that I get a ring, but when I answer it gets dropped. In such spotty coverage environments the Treo's phone radio ramps up to maximum output and drains the battery a lot more quickly than is usual. With bluetooth on as well, I'd be out of juice half-way through a 90min lecture. Not to mention, a vibrating presenter controller would be a bit distracting to me. still hoping the two radios are controlled independently in the 650.
  14.    #14  
    Just tested out my theory, and I'm happy to say that when the phone radio is turned off, the bluetooth radio is NOT automatically turned off.
    wanna hear something funny relating to the flight mode? most new pdas have something like that... i have 2 hp ipaqs, both when put into flight mode only turn off the wifi, not the BT.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad
    Just tested out my theory, and I'm happy to say that when the phone radio is turned off, the bluetooth radio is NOT automatically turned off.
    How did you test your theory? Do you have one?
  17.    #17  
    Sorry - I don't have one yet. I played with one at the Chicago Road Show