Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    OK, who was the guy at the Boston morning session that asked the Wifi question?
    Had to be a TreoCentral type.
    OK, a few thoughts before I forget. Things I didn't know about the treo 650:

The video camera works slick, and records sound. You can email videos.

The still camera is a vast improvement. You can hand write on the photos, (comments, arrows, etc.) and email them. You can also voice annotate a photo and email it.

The screen is bright. Backlight is even brighter.

The thumbpad is a big improvement. Softer, wider keys. I can go back to using the pads of my fingers, instead of fingernails. Types much faster.

Something about the 600/650 I didn't know - On your favorites screen, if you highlight a favorite, (say John - M), instead of pressing the center button on the five way pad to make the call, if you press the space bar, all other numbers for John come up, i.e. home, work, etc.) Then toggle down and select the number you want to call! Cool.

Good show in Boston, could have been better. I was in the 5th or 6th row, right side of the room, just left of the center aisle. About 100 -125 people there.

Treocentral got mentioned when they talked about advanced uses of the Treo, i.e. importing movies onto the Treo.

Was the guy with the laptop in the far left front corner from Treocentral? Where were the rest of you?

Clue
    A few other tidbits from the show I haven't seen posted:

- Peter Skillman (the product design guy) confirmed that the palm/TomTom GPS bundle (TomTom Navigator plus a Bluetooth GPS device) will work with the 650. He didn't say all BT GPS devices would work, but he had seen this combination on a 650 himself.

- One of the palmOne reps reiterated the release dates we've all heard ("very soon" on Sprint, Jan '05 for the GSM model (AT&T/Cingular and otherwise)). He also said to expect Verizon availability in Feb '05, which I hadn't heard before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister

Treocentral got mentioned when they talked about advanced uses of the Treo, i.e. importing movies onto the Treo.

Was the guy with the laptop in the far left front corner from Treocentral? Where were the rest of you?

Clue
    I was 2 rows in front of you and down 3 seats. The gentleman caddy corner from me (row in front) wearing a blue and red striped tie visited Treocentral.com on his 600 in the middle of the show. There was an asian guy next to me with a mac tethered to his 600, he looked kinda familiar from an avatar??
    Quote Originally Posted by Cluemeister
    Clue
    I had a laptop on the left front corner of the right half of the room.. been a long time TC reader, but never posted until now. The "PalmOne" SSID didn't seem to be working, so I was using my Verizon 1xRTT/EVDO pc card for 'net access. It might just be me, but it seems that Sprint throttles the speed for users who use excessive (i.e. laptop numbers) amounts of data transfer. PDANet always seems to slow down after about 15-30 minutes of use.

Also, I placed a Sprint 650 order at VC today (around 3PM), but I haven't received any confirmation emails yet. Is that normal?

Thanks,

Chris
    The palmOne SSID access point is set up at shows for the vendors when they need to demo something on their laptops requiring net access. According to palmOne reps at the show, the wireless AP was on, but not plugged into any network, which is why it showed up strongly but you couldn't connect.

As for orders, I placed mine around 2 PM today and got an immediate confirmation e-mail (well, within 10 minutes, anyway).
    Here are a few pics I couldn't post earlier from the show due to PdaNet not cooperating. Got there about 10 min before the presentation started so was able to meet only kenundrum. How many TC folks were there altogether? Recognize anyone from the rear headshots?

The screen is gorgeous! The details you can see is amazing! The keyboard is 100% better! Less force is required to type, better tactile feedback so I'd expect an increase in wpm. Key's are so well lit you won't have trouble seeing the legends day or night. It's a no brainer for me to upgrade , especially at $349. Just ordered mine. Can't wait.

The Palm crew was great, Peter Skillman, Joe Fabris, Caitlin are real down to earth folks. At the end of the show Peter showed us the test matrix on the 650, shake and bake, temp alt, EMI, HALT etc you name it (Handspring apparently didn't do as extensive a test on the 600). We can expect to see a much more reliable 650. Time will tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The three things I'm dissapointed about are the 2.5m headset jack, limited ram and keyboard brightness. On the positive side, the 650 is being priced meaningfully lower than the 600 was when it was introduced, and the device is fabulous in every other aspect, include screen resolution, processor speed, data connection speeds (soon to be three times faster with EDGE!), keyboard "feel" and etc.

I fell asleep during the presentation...too many late nights in a row. The part I was tuned in for was Ok. I think I was spoiled by the high quality presentations at the CTIA Wireless event in San Francisco. By comparison this was more of a lecture than a breakthrough presentation. That not withstanding the presenters were well prepared and delivered the material well to a potentially non-Treo oriented audience.

Seemed like the best part was wandering around to the tables and talking with Good, SEVEN, Intelisync, and the others individually. That's where there was the most to learn...such as some amazing consumer products being released in January like the ability to remotely control many aspects of your Treo and locate our Treo from a website-- a blockbuster concept that hasn't been batted about yet in the discussion forums. In fact, I probably shouldn't be posting publicly about it because now miradu may scoop me on the front page article.

Cheers everyone.
    actually, at first the wireless was not hooked to anything... i had my ipaq running streethawk just in case and about the time the presentation started, the wireless magically had internet access...
    I was quite impressed with Peter and Joe, they indeed were down to earth... but yes, talking with Peter was awesome after the show, i even missed talking to the reps to get a few demos... which is no big deal cause i can always call seven and the remote management company... but then again, i guess i can also call peter and joe now too! ;-)

a few things i noticed about the device and the people:
    first thing was that peter skillman actually visited treocentral! and he recognized newtreouser's custom cradle (which by the way- is just truly awesome)
    They actually used the treos as heavily as some of us on here do, he had kinoma and a few other cool programs etc...
    The keyboard was much more comfortable to type on
    the only issue i saw with the keyboard was that the battery door didn't feel secure when typing, peter said that he had a pre-prod model and there's a foam pad that prevents the battery door from jiggling...
    he also was having bluetooth pairing problems, and he saw that i had a jabra headset- it paired better than any pocket pc or pc for that matter i've seen... i set the jabra into pairing mode, he hit the find bt devices button and it was found in a snap!
    Last edited by Kenundrum; 11/12/2004 at 07:37 AM.
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    hey rosenft, were you the one in the back row with the black baseball cap who asked Peter Skillman the question regarding the 2.5 mm jack?
    man the back of my head is good looking...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Someone on this thread mentioned Verizon in Feb '05. Could you preorder for Verizon of just Sprint, ATT/Cingular?
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    hey rosenft, were you the one in the back row with the black baseball cap who asked Peter Skillman the question regarding the 2.5 mm jack?
    The 2.5mm jack was an outstanding question.

I was two seats next to the guy who asked that. I was wearing a business suit and a black mtdn hat.
    bigred, that was me a row back to your right with the orange shirt...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    Someone on this thread mentioned Verizon in Feb '05. Could you preorder for Verizon of just Sprint, ATT/Cingular?
    There is no official news from Verizon or palmOne on this, I got this date as an informal guesstimate from a palmOne rep at the show. No Verizon model has surfaced anywhere yet that I'm aware, virtually or otherwise.
    I wonder how many of us were there - who knows how to do a poll to tally up the Boston Roadshow infiltration by TreoCentral?
    I was there... blue shirt ahead of the guy in the orange shirt near the back.
    I don't think there were that many of us, maybe 5-10. Did you see all the hands that went up (in the AM class) when he asked who did not have a treo yet?

Cluemeister
  19. jda
    I was there too. Ordered my Sprint 650 this morning.
    yea, the afternoon had overwhelming majority of people with 600s, a few who were using either blackberry or nothing at all and one "hardcore fan" (in the words of peter skillman) with a 300 still
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast