Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some analyst said that Treo will be ported to the Pocket PC phone edition in 2005. This kind of makes sense since P1 just licensed the Exchange Active Sync. Microsoft wouldn't do that unless they got something in return.

I wonder how the phone will work with the Pocket PC OS.....
    if that were true, which there is no way that would be true... it would run really bad... the processor is too slow and there isn't enough memory on it...
    Treo 800w 8/08
    Nokia N800
    previously: Treo 700wx 12/06, Sprint 6700 3/06; Treo 650 11/04; Treo 600 1/04 (gone); Samsung i500 (gone); Hitachi G1000 11/03 (gone); Nokia 7110 5/00(best phone ever)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenundrum
    if that were true, which there is no way that would be true... it would run really bad... the processor is too slow and there isn't enough memory on it...
    That's my thinking as well.....plus P1 does lots of customization on top of the Palm OS, which I don't think can be ported easily to Pocket PC.
    Actually, although I highly doubt this could have any merit whatsoever, the treo 650 will use the SAME cpu as a lot of ppc devices now. The port would be trivial and involve interfacing the phone chipsets, and the screen and i/o... That's it... However PalmOne running a MS product?
    Not too hard to believe (though probably not for Treo 650).

November 2005 may bring 2 new members of the Treo family: Treo 900 (evolutionary change with more RAM, faster processor, & WiFi) with a Palm OS version (Treo 900P) and a MS OS version (Treo 900M).
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Makes sense to me! PalmOne has come up with a compelling handheld, and offering a MS OS version expands their market.
    but I think that was mainly to get Palm to play nicer with them.

Microsoft has a double win in licensing ActiveSync to PalmOne. First of all, it ain't doin' it for free. PalmOne is paying Microsoft for the privelege of being the the only non-MS device to natively support Exchange without needing a PC-based gateway. Second, went the anti-trust suits start (and they will start) Microsoft has this in their back pocket to show how well they work and play with others.

In the end, I think that Palm/Handspring is being honest about being open to other OSes. But with the executive staff that they have, it's kind of like the Pope saying he is open to other religions. They'll work with others, but don't expect a conversion any time soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoKing
    Not too hard to believe (though probably not for Treo 650).

November 2005 may bring 2 new members of the Treo family: Treo 900 (evolutionary change with more RAM, faster processor, & WiFi) with a Palm OS version (Treo 900P) and a MS OS version (Treo 900M).
    Where did you hear this???
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x

Listen not on the whim of the winds, rather rely on the steady thrust of the truth
    I was large and in charge!
    While it's possible that PalmOne may start developing a Treo for MS keep in mind that MS OS needs more power and memory to run driving the cost up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    I didn't. It is complete speculation or maybe wishful thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome
    Some analyst said that Treo will be ported to the Pocket PC phone edition in 2005. This kind of makes sense since P1 just licensed the Exchange Active Sync. Microsoft wouldn't do that unless they got something in return.

I wonder how the phone will work with the Pocket PC OS.....
    do NOT...it would be a daylight nightmare
    Quote Originally Posted by GroverCleveland
    Listen not on the whim of the winds, rather rely on the steady thrust of the truth
    lol.

I think we went a bit too far back there. Thats almost biblical.

Quote Originally Posted by treoKing
    I didn't. It is complete speculation or maybe wishful thinking.

Treo 900M - PPC2004/2005 in a Treo form factor? Sign me up!
  15.    #15  
    Below is the story. I will be very surprised if this were true.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Associated Press
    PalmSource Drops on Analyst Downgrade
    Monday November 1, 4:01 pm ET
    PalmSource Shares Dip on Speculation That PalmOne May Sell Smartphone With Microsoft OS

NEW YORK (AP) -- PalmSource Inc. shares slipped more than 9 percent in Monday trading after an analyst downgraded the company on concerns that its future sales could be decimated if sister firm palmOne Inc. begins making smartphones with Microsoft Corp.'s mobile operating system.
    Needham & Co. analyst Charles Wolf said palmOne last month indicated that it may port the popular Treo smartphone -- currently run exclusively using PalmSource's Palm OS -- to Microsoft's Pocket PC software.

Although palmOne would continue selling Palm OS-powered Treos, the decision to support other systems serves as "a psychological blow because it could eliminate much of the upside in PalmSource's future financial performance," Wolf wrote in a research note.

Wolf lowered PalmSource to "Hold" from "Buy," saying he believes a formal decision from palmOne is "virtually certain." The stock plunged on Wolf's speculation, dropping 9.4 percent, or $2.10, to $20.32 on twice its average volume in afternoon Nasdaq trading.

PalmSource, which was spun off by palmOne last year, faces major competition from Microsoft-powered handheld devices because of their seamless compatibility with Microsoft's suite of desktop computing software.

Wolf also noted that Nokia, Sony Ericsson and Siemens have all committed to using Symbian OS -- made by Symbian Ltd., a joint venture among a handful of electronics manufacturers -- limiting PalmSource's potential to license its software to other handheld makers.

"The loss of a portion of Treo sales would not be that critical to PalmSource's success if the company had diversified its license fee revenue stream over the past two years," he wrote. "But it has not. Collectively, the sales of PalmSource's other licensees represents a small fraction of the company's total license fee revenues."
    Amazing, but I'll believe it when I see it. There's so much development on the usuability of the Treo-line that Microsoft would have to basically open up the source code for PalmOne to rewrite all the little customizations that make Treo's great.

It could happen, but it's no small undertaking. If Palm doesn't have the resources for making a driver for their own wifi card, they certainly don't have the resources to port everything to a new OS.
    Global Posts
    500 Global Posts
    Sounds good to me. I like having more choices!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Amazing, but I'll believe it when I see it. There's so much development on the usuability of the Treo-line that Microsoft would have to basically open up the source code for PalmOne to rewrite all the little customizations that make Treo's great.

It could happen, but it's no small undertaking. If Palm doesn't have the resources for making a driver for their own wifi card, they certainly don't have the resources to port everything to a new OS.
    I would have to believe that if this did happen, and that would be a huge if, that Microsoft would lend it's considerable resources to PalmOne to ensure a smooth integration between PalmOne's hardware and Microsoft's software. Microsoft loves to dominate markets and has never shied away from throwing enough money at a problem to make it go away, and a powerful PalmOne/Microsoft alliance (via a successful product) would nearly decimate PalmSource and any Symbian OS or Blackberry powered phone in the smartphone business. Unfortunately for PalmSource, this would probably also resonate to the PDA business.

Most of the complaints about Microsoft powered smartphones are due to their size, with the OS a seemingly distant second. Removing the complaint about the form factor would make a Microsoft powered Treo probably a huge hit, especially with Microsoft's love for WiFi.
    I think that would be pointless...

The BenQ50 has a MS system. If anyone wants a treo with MS on it they will go for the BenQ, that has more memroy a megapixle camera, no arial and wifi and a form factor that can rival the treo. The only DISADVANTAGE is the Microsoft OS (imo and in the oppinion of others). However if the treo went to MS it would lose one of the biggest advantages of it next to form factor.

So I doubt it will happen but there will be treo lookalikes that will be with MS. I think making palm based apps like they are doing withg activesync that have the benefits of MS whilst still being palm is what is needed.
    If true, which I doubt, this would be devastating to Palm Source. In my experience, the Palm OS has proven far superior to WM, both in versatility and user-friendliness. On more thing, the WM OS runs on a QVGA (240x320) or VGA (480x640) screen; the Treo 650 runs 320x320 and the T3 runs HVGA (320x480). Not compatible, and WM isn't designed for a square screen (it's awkward enough on a vertical screen).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast